Boy Sliding Down Banister Impaled On Picket Fence
D. Spencer Hines
2003-11-07 03:29:28 UTC
What is the classic black and white film where a young boy is sliding
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?

DSH
Rosanne
2003-11-07 03:40:54 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
What is the classic black and white film where a young boy is sliding
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?
Sounds like "Spellbound" 1945.

Rosanne
Grant Hurlock
2003-11-07 04:12:08 UTC
. . . a young boy is sliding
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?
Not an answer to your question, but I read on IMDb biography that
something similar happened in real life to the son of Romy Schneider,
hastening her own tragic slide & premature demise.
Amazing actress, Romy Schneider--(facially & emotionally reminiscent of
Spellbound's Ingrid Bergman, too).
Vince
2003-11-07 05:29:23 UTC
Post by Grant Hurlock
Amazing actress, Romy Schneider--(facially & emotionally reminiscent of
Spellbound's Ingrid Bergman, too).
Oh she was wonderful.

Vince
Take out words goodguy to e-mail
ANIM8Rfsk
2003-11-08 22:26:50 UTC
<< From: "Grant Hurlock" ***@pacbell.net >>

<< Not an answer to your question, but I read on IMDb biography that
something similar happened in real life to the son of Romy Schneider,
hastening her own tragic slide & premature demise. >>

Yeah, that's what I thought of when I saw the subject. She only outlived him
by like a year, didn't she?

___________
  If You Get a Telemarketing Call:
· Tell the telemarketer you are on the Do Not Call List.
· Note the company and date of call.
· File a complaint by phone (888-CALL-FCC), or by e-mail (***@fcc.gov).
res197va
2003-12-03 00:39:20 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
<< Not an answer to your question, but I read on IMDb biography that
something similar happened in real life to the son of Romy Schneider,
hastening her own tragic slide & premature demise. >>
Yeah, that's what I thought of when I saw the subject. She only outlived him
by like a year, didn't she?
She went into a state of despair and finally committed suicide.

Dudley du Pont

Vince
2003-11-07 05:29:23 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
What is the classic black and white film where a young boy is sliding
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?
Funny you should bring that up as something like that happens on CSI tonight.

David Matthews

Dave in Toronto
Stephen Cooke
2003-11-07 13:12:21 UTC
Post by Rosanne
Post by D. Spencer Hines
What is the classic black and white film where a young boy is
sliding down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is
impaled on
a wrought-iron picket fence?
"Spellbound"
Just curious...is there such thing as a "wrought-iron picket fence"?

swac
Always thought they were wood....
D. Spencer Hines
2003-11-07 16:39:58 UTC
Thank you kindly.

Something similar happened to Humprey Bogart's uncle.

DSH

larry legallo
2003-11-07 08:16:21 UTC
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:29:28 -1000, "D. Spencer Hines"
Post by D. Spencer Hines
What is the classic black and white film where a young boy is sliding
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?
It's proabably Spellbound, but the boy actually kicks his brother into
the fence.

Only Hitchcock could use an event like that as a cathartic memory.
David Matthews
2003-11-10 04:19:07 UTC
Post by larry legallo
Post by D. Spencer Hines
down a banister and is killed when he overshoots and is impaled on a
wrought-iron picket fence?
It's proabably Spellbound, but the boy actually kicks his brother into
the fence.
Only Hitchcock could use an event like that as a cathartic memory.
A chilling scene as I remember. Especially the way it was cut into the
skiing sequence.

Dave in Toronto.
larry legallo
2003-11-12 23:24:59 UTC
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:19:07 -0500, "David Matthews"
Post by larry legallo
Only Hitchcock could use an event like that as a cathartic memory.
A chilling scene as I remember. Especially the way it was cut into the
skiing sequence.
Yes. What really startled me the first time I saw it (and what still
amazes me) is the way Hitchcock cuts from the shot of the boy impaled
on the fence immediately back to a *relieved* Gregory Peck, genuinely
assured that he wasn't responsible for his brother's death as he had
feared.

So you're at once horrified at the flashback, then happy for Peck-
along with Bergman- but still uneasy that he could consider such a
death an accident. I mean maybe it was, but it's still a pretty
gruesome accident.