A Clockwork Orange: which language is the gang slang derived from?
m***@gmail.com
2016-10-23 10:29:51 UTC
Well there were words useb by one of Alexes friends like Noći (night). Which is used by Bosnians, Croats and Serbs. But I am not sure about Russians.
m***@gmail.com
2016-10-23 10:29:52 UTC
trotsky
2016-10-23 14:24:32 UTC
Russian, which is explained in the novel.
Predrag Petrovic
2023-11-08 15:08:18 UTC
I have a question concerning the "code" language used by the gang in A
Clockwork Orange. Many words (e.g. "droog" for "pal", "gulliver" for
"head") seemed derived from serbo-croatian. However, I couldn't get
all of them, so I wondered if this language was derived from another
language. Anyone has a clue?
-eric
Droog (Drug) is definitely Serbian ( serbo-croatian ), but I am not sure about "gulliver" for head.
Bill Anderson
2023-11-08 20:04:11 UTC
Post by Predrag Petrovic
I have a question concerning the "code" language used by the gang in A
Clockwork Orange. Many words (e.g. "droog" for "pal", "gulliver" for
"head") seemed derived from serbo-croatian. However, I couldn't get
all of them, so I wondered if this language was derived from another
language. Anyone has a clue?
-eric
Droog (Drug) is definitely Serbian ( serbo-croatian ), but I am not sure
about "gulliver" for head.
Google “slang in a clockwork orange.” it is interesting.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
moviePig
Fun fact: Anthony Burgess also did the cave-speak in QUEST FOR FIRE.
HenHanna
2024-03-02 21:14:46 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by Predrag Petrovic
I have a question concerning the "code" language used by the gang in A
Clockwork Orange. Many words (e.g. "droog" for "pal", "gulliver" for
"head") seemed derived from serbo-croatian. However, I couldn't get
all of them, so I wondered if this language was derived from another
language. Anyone has a clue?
-eric
Droog (Drug) is definitely Serbian ( serbo-croatian ), but I am not sure
about "gulliver" for head.
i think they are all from Russian.
Post by moviePig
Post by Bill Anderson
Google “slang in a clockwork orange.” it is interesting.
Fun fact: Anthony Burgess also did the cave-speak in QUEST FOR FIRE.
Yes... Great movie... i read the book a few times

Just a few years ago , i read the final chapter
that was deleted for the US release of the book.

-------- this is prob related to the movie's somewhat odd ending.

(i started using X-Face yesterday.)