Pollock (2000)
super70s
2024-02-11 07:54:41 UTC
This was a TCM premiere for their "31 Days of Oscar" marathon (every now
and then they screw up and show a good movie made in this century).

I'd always wanted to see this archetypal "tortured artist" biopic, but
it somehow fell through the cracks.

Excellent film, I was interested to learn the artist didn't develop his
famous "dripping" techique until well into his career (halfway through
the movie).

We learn in TCM host Ben Makiewicz's intro and outro that this movie
became an obsession with titular actor Ed Harris, after his father
remarked how he bore a striking resemblance to Jackson Pollock. He read
several books on the artist and actually learned how to paint in
Pollock's style.

Props for all involved, including Marcia Gay Harden as Pollock's wife
Lee Krasner in an Oscar-winning Best Actress role.
HenHanna
2024-03-02 21:09:26 UTC
Post by super70s
This was a TCM premiere for their "31 Days of Oscar" marathon (every now
and then they screw up and show a good movie made in this century).
I'd always wanted to see this archetypal "tortured artist" biopic, but
it somehow fell through the cracks.
Excellent film, I was interested to learn the artist didn't develop his
famous "dripping" techique until well into his career (halfway through
the movie).
We learn in TCM host Ben Makiewicz's intro and outro that this movie
became an obsession with titular actor Ed Harris, after his father
remarked how he bore a striking resemblance to Jackson Pollock. He read
several books on the artist and actually learned how to paint in
Pollock's style.
Props for all involved, including Marcia Gay Harden as Pollock's wife
Lee Krasner in an Oscar-winning Best Actress role.
Yes... Great movie... i have it on DVD.

i watched it a few times recently.

(i started using X-Face yesterday.)