1999, 25th anniversaries, and "Anchorman"
super70s
2024-07-09 13:41:30 UTC
A couple of cable news channels seem to be giving (undue IMO) attention
to 2024 being the 25th anniversary of the 1999 Will Ferrell vehicle
"Anchorman," as though it's some kind of comedic masterpiece. I guess
this can be explained because they're all, well, anchormen (and
anchorladies) themselves.

However there does seem to be a growing consensus in the film criticism
community that 1999 was indeed a unique year that produced a bumper
crop of fine films -- much in the same way as in 1939 when the stars
aligned and produced several acclaimed films such as "Gone With the
Wind," "Wizard of Oz," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," etc.

My local CBS affiliate, NewsChannel5, also operates a digital channel
called "NewsChannel5+" that's sort of a "public access" channel with
several different shows that interview people on various topics.
Recently on their "OpenLine" program they interviewed a local film buff
and "botique" cinema employee who talks about why 1999 was such an
historic year in films and discusses several highlights including
"Sixth Sense," "Saving Private Ryan," "Eyes Wide Shut," "Girl
Interrupted," "Talented Mr. Ripley," "American Beauty," etc.

If your interest has been piqued you can view the interview here:

https://www.newschannel5.com/plus/openline/why-was-1999-such-an-important-year-in-cinema

(could be kind of choppy depending on your compatibility, it was when I
tried watching it on the site)
super70s
2024-07-09 14:05:44 UTC
Post by super70s
A couple of cable news channels seem to be giving (undue IMO) attention
to 2024 being the 25th anniversary of the 1999 Will Ferrell vehicle
"Anchorman," as though it's some kind of comedic masterpiece. I guess
this can be explained because they're all, well, anchormen (and
anchorladies) themselves.
Oops my bad, Anchorman is actually 20 years old not 25. About 15
minutes after I posted CNN started talking about it again, lol.