Seeking movie title (with antagonistic double role [of Cate Blanchett?])
Janis Papanagnou
2021-04-18 20:33:06 UTC
My only very faint memories recall a film that had an actress
in a double role who is playing extremely different characters.
I thought it could have been Cate Blanchett but may as well be
completely wrong; it could as well have been an older film that
is even predating her are and it may actually have been another
actress. That's certainly too few and also too fuzzy information
to find anything on the Net but maybe someone here just knows
something? There shouldn't be too many films with very different
(even antagonistic) female characters played by one actress.

Janis
George
2021-04-19 10:07:47 UTC
Post by Janis Papanagnou
My only very faint memories recall a film that had an actress
in a double role who is playing extremely different characters.
I thought it could have been Cate Blanchett but may as well be
completely wrong; it could as well have been an older film that
is even predating her are and it may actually have been another
actress. That's certainly too few and also too fuzzy information
to find anything on the Net but maybe someone here just knows
something? There shouldn't be too many films with very different
(even antagonistic) female characters played by one actress.
Janis
If you go far enough back, you'll find Dead Ringer (1964),
directed by Paul Henreid. IMDB link (mind the wrap):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057997/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Also, A Stolen Life (1946)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038984/?ref_=tt_sims_tt
--
George Ruch
"Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?"
Lewis
2021-04-19 15:48:09 UTC
Post by George
Post by Janis Papanagnou
My only very faint memories recall a film that had an actress
in a double role who is playing extremely different characters.
I thought it could have been Cate Blanchett but may as well be
completely wrong; it could as well have been an older film that
is even predating her are and it may actually have been another
actress. That's certainly too few and also too fuzzy information
to find anything on the Net but maybe someone here just knows
something? There shouldn't be too many films with very different
(even antagonistic) female characters played by one actress.
Janis
If you go far enough back, you'll find Dead Ringer (1964),
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057997/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Also, A Stolen Life (1946)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038984/?ref_=tt_sims_tt
Wikipedia has a long list of actors in dual roles:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_multiple_roles_in_the_same_film>

Cate Blanchett is on that list, as a fictional version of herself and
her cousin in Coffee and Cigarettes (2004)

But there are hundreds of actors on that list.
--
'If you sow dragons' teeth, you should get dragons. Not fighting
skeletons. What did it say on the packet?' 'I don't know! The
have said "Comes up Dragons" on the packet.'
Janis Papanagnou
2021-04-19 18:12:23 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by George
Post by Janis Papanagnou
[...]
Thanks, George and Lewis for your help!

I'm glad to not have to inspect that amazing huge list in Wikipedia,
but it's good to know that resource just in case. Actually it turned
out that my faint memory was correct with respect to the actress; it
is indeed that episode from Coffee and Cigarettes that I was looking
for. Thanks again for that hint. Somehow I had thought it would have
been a film from Jean-Luc Godard and located the film somewhere in
the 1970's, but that would not match with Cate Blanchett's time frame
and irritated me. Well, maybe Jim Jarmusch has in this episode (or
generally) borrowed some style from Godard, or maybe it was just my
erring impression. Anyway, after years I just watched and enjoyed
that episode once again.

Janis