Actors you admire for their REAL life achievements...
WKC
2003-07-28 16:26:38 UTC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.

WKC.
Kingo Gondo
2003-07-28 17:36:36 UTC
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
WKC.
I think those served valiantly in actual combat, as opposed to Reagan-like
backlot service, would be commendable. Jimmy Stewart would be a prime
example.
Vince
2003-07-28 19:15:49 UTC
Are not married
Vince
Check out my listings on E-Bay
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
WKC
2003-07-29 04:38:04 UTC
Whoops,

oh well, 'staying together' comes a close second in Hollywood.

WKC.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Vince
2003-07-29 19:24:40 UTC
Post by WKC
oh well, 'staying together' comes a close second in Hollywood.
Long as we're on the same page friend.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 00:20:10 UTC
Post by Vince
Are not married
Maybe that's the trick.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Vince
2003-07-30 01:26:23 UTC
Post by Martin koolhoven
Maybe that's the trick.
Maybe, maybe not, my wife and I have been together almost "30" years true we're
not in show biz but all the same.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
WKC

Look under "BOOKMAGS"
abcedminded
2003-07-30 03:46:54 UTC
Post by Vince
Are not married
Bet you the law says otherwise, even if there
hasn't been a formal ceremony. "Common law".
Maureen Goldman
2003-07-30 15:37:05 UTC
Post by abcedminded
Post by Vince
Are not married
Bet you the law says otherwise, even if there
hasn't been a formal ceremony. "Common law".
If that were so, then many people would find themselves bigamists. A
long-time unmarried couple may have the same legal obligations to each
other as a married couple, but that doesn't make them married.
abcedminded
2003-07-30 23:34:47 UTC
Post by Maureen Goldman
Post by abcedminded
Post by Vince
Are not married
Bet you the law says otherwise, even if there
hasn't been a formal ceremony. "Common law".
If that were so, then many people would find themselves bigamists. A
long-time unmarried couple may have the same legal obligations to each
other as a married couple, but that doesn't make them married.
I don't really disagree too much: obviously they don't
have "the same legal obligations" to each other--else
we could have common-law bigamists, as you say! But
apart from bigamy, formal marriage and common-
law relationships have the same legal implications
in many jurisdictions. Remember the epidemic of
"palimony" suits twenty-odd years ago? Technically,
there is a form of "marriage", regardless of whether
they signed the legal papers.
Vince
2003-07-30 19:12:39 UTC
Post by abcedminded
Bet you the law says otherwise, even if there
hasn't been a formal ceremony. "Common law".
Yes I've heard of that one.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Steven D. Litvintchouk
2003-07-28 23:04:33 UTC
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
Hume Cronyn & Jessica Tandy had a long successful marriage too.
Post by WKC
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
Bob Hope: For probably doing more to lift the morale of our troops than
any other one private American citizen.

Christopher Reeve: For having fought his way back from catastrophic
spinal cord injury to become a major spokesperson and advocate for that
disability.

Ronald Reagan: Elected to governorship of California, then to White
House (two terms, both in landslide elections).

Fred D. Thompson: Elected senator from Tennessee in 1994, only two
years after finishing his last movie.

Ilona Staller: European XXX porn star ("Cicciolina"), was elected to
the Italian Parliament and served five years--the first porn star to
successfully enter European politics. She took her job seriously,
becoming a forceful advocate for various radical and libertarian causes.
IIRC, she still managed to make several more porn movies while serving
in Parliament.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Brent McKee
2003-07-29 10:15:45 UTC
Post by Steven D. Litvintchouk
Bob Hope: For probably doing more to lift the morale of our troops than
any other one private American citizen.
I picked hope, too. But this jogs my memory: I also admire Marlene
Dietrich for the public stand she took against Nazism & the work she
did for the Allied troops.
Audrey Hepburn -- for service as a teen aged courier (iirc) in the
Dutch Resistance in World War II and for nursing service at age 16
during the Battle of Arnhem. Also for service as a UN special
ambassador for children.

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)
Mike Girouard
2003-08-04 09:12:20 UTC
Charlton Heston - for managing to undo everything he'd accomplished as
a film star after becoming a "mouthpiece" for the NRA. What a dick!

FoggyTown
Maureen Goldman
2003-08-04 14:22:36 UTC
Post by Mike Girouard
Charlton Heston - for managing to undo everything he'd accomplished as
a film star after becoming a "mouthpiece" for the NRA. What a dick!
What did Charlton Heston accomplish as a film star? I thought that was
an accomplishment in itself.
h***@brazee.net
2003-08-04 21:54:48 UTC
Post by Mike Girouard
Charlton Heston - for managing to undo everything he'd accomplished as
a film star after becoming a "mouthpiece" for the NRA. What a dick!
What were his accomplishments, and how did his support for the NRA undo
them?
(I've heard similar statements about Jane Fonda).
Bob Tiernan
2003-08-05 06:27:58 UTC
Post by h***@brazee.net
Post by Mike Girouard
Charlton Heston - for managing to undo everything he'd
accomplished as a film star after becoming a "mouthpiece"
for the NRA. What a dick!
What were his accomplishments, and how did his support for
the NRA undo them?
Yeah. I don't know why anyone would trash him
for defending his favorite amendment of the
Bill of Rights. These are a list of things
we can at worst agree to disagree on. But
no touch.

Bob T
h***@brazee.net
2003-08-05 11:53:21 UTC
Post by Bob Tiernan
Yeah. I don't know why anyone would trash him
for defending his favorite amendment of the
Bill of Rights. These are a list of things
we can at worst agree to disagree on. But
no touch.
To some people, supporting the part of the Bill of Rights that they don't
care for, makes someone a dick.

Of course when the Constitution is devalued this way, the parts we DO care
about are in jeopardy as well.

Actors should never have opinions about anything as important as The
Constitution. Otherwise they undo all their accomplishments (in things
that aren't nearly as important).
Grand Inquisitor
2003-07-28 23:05:21 UTC
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause."
--
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork

Grand Inquisitor
Wishy13764
2003-07-28 23:55:17 UTC
Hedy Lamarr for her beauty and her invention of the bouncing beam to help steer
torpedoes and later for that technology being put to use in your cellphones.
Steven D. Litvintchouk
2003-07-29 17:25:21 UTC
Post by Wishy13764
Hedy Lamarr for her beauty and her invention of the bouncing beam to help steer
torpedoes and later for that technology being put to use in your cellphones.
Sylvania adapted her idea for satellite communications, without ever
giving Lamarr any credit.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Stephen Cooke
2003-07-29 02:00:57 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause."
It doesn't hurt to think before you type sometimes...all the money raised
by Newman's popcorn, salad dressing, etc. goes to charities like the Hole
in the Wall Camps for underprivileged or disabled kids, among other
things.
Post by Grand Inquisitor
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork
"It is dark, you are likely sticking your head where the sun don't shine."

swac
Nick Macpherson
2003-07-29 02:18:59 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause."
It doesn't hurt to think before you type sometimes...all the money raised
by Newman's popcorn, salad dressing, etc. goes to charities like the Hole
in the Wall Camps for underprivileged or disabled kids, among other
things.
Newman's also a big supporter of Catholic Relief Services, not exactly a
"political cause", unless you're some kind of smarmy right wing Christian type
who automatically hates liberal celebrities.
Grand Inquisitor
2003-07-29 02:30:48 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Post by Grand Inquisitor
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause."
It doesn't hurt to think before you type sometimes...all the money raised
by Newman's popcorn, salad dressing, etc. goes to charities like the Hole
in the Wall Camps for underprivileged or disabled kids, among other
things.
It doesn't hurt to read before you type, either. As I clearly said, I'm
not saying he didn't donate to charities, I was just asking for
examples. So far I'd only ever heard of him donating to left-wing
political causes.
Post by Stephen Cooke
Post by Grand Inquisitor
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork
"It is dark, you are likely sticking your head where the sun don't shine."
swac
This level of learned discourse I can't hope to achieve. I'll let this
pass.

Grand Inquisitor
2003-07-30 00:37:43 UTC
No, I read what you wrote, but considering how well-known Newman's
charitable work is, I find it hard to believe that your comment was
anything but a cheap swipe at Newman for his beliefs.
Possibly it's not as well-known as you think. I read newspapers, news
magazines, news websites, entertainment publications of all sorts, every
day, but thus far I was only aware of his political donations.
Okay, that *was* a cheap swipe...but after a while you get tired of
reading the same dopey sigs over and over again. (At least you're not the
type whose sig file is generally longer than the actual posts...)
Okay, I'll change it to something snappier.
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work in the Savannah,
capturing and tagging wildebeests"
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
Stephen Cooke
2003-07-30 01:12:42 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
No, I read what you wrote, but considering how well-known Newman's
charitable work is, I find it hard to believe that your comment was
anything but a cheap swipe at Newman for his beliefs.
Possibly it's not as well-known as you think. I read newspapers, news
magazines, news websites, entertainment publications of all sorts, every
day, but thus far I was only aware of his political donations.
Do you buy groceries? (Seriously, it's plastered all over every package of
Newman salad dressing, popcorn, and whatever other product he puts his
smirking mug on.)
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Okay, that *was* a cheap swipe...but after a while you get tired of
reading the same dopey sigs over and over again. (At least you're not the
type whose sig file is generally longer than the actual posts...)
Okay, I'll change it to something snappier.
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work in the Savannah,
capturing and tagging wildebeests"
--Michael J. Nelson
Hey, it's hard to argue with a MJN quote. I once had a sig with Joel and
the 'Bots playing Slugbug.

swac
Joel: Slugbug!
*thwack*
Crow: Ow!
Stephen Cooke
2003-07-30 15:34:03 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Hey, it's hard to argue with a MJN quote. I once had a sig with Joel and
the 'Bots playing Slugbug.
swac
Joel: Slugbug!
*thwack*
Crow: Ow!
How about Mike and the bots playing slugbug?
Mike: Slugbug!
*thwack*
Servo: Mike, that was a Karmen Ghia, come on!
Let me guess, Riding With Death? The only thing that would give you a
more hectic game of slugbug (or in my neck of the woods, punchbuggy) would
be Bullitt, with its mysterious reoccuring green Beetle.

swac
Sig Ruman
Grand Inquisitor
2003-07-31 00:36:53 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Let me guess, Riding With Death? The only thing that would give you a
more hectic game of slugbug (or in my neck of the woods, punchbuggy) would
be Bullitt, with its mysterious reoccuring green Beetle.
swac
Sig Ruman
What about Blood Simple or Big Lebowski? And yes, it was Riding With
Death, the Turkey one.
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
larry legallo
2003-07-31 04:28:20 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:34:03 -0300, Stephen Cooke
Post by Stephen Cooke
Let me guess, Riding With Death? The only thing that would give you a
more hectic game of slugbug (or in my neck of the woods, punchbuggy) would
be Bullitt,
Funny, it was just watching the MST3K attack on 'Mitchell', and they
make a reference to Bullitt during the exceedingly slow car chase
sequence.
Didn't Tin Men also have a recurring Beetle motif?
WKC

ANIM8Rfsk
2003-07-29 20:07:01 UTC
<< From: Grand Inquisitor ***@columbus.rr.com >>

Post by WKC
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause." >>

I think Newman's a first rate jackass, but the charities he gives to (or the
ones they list at any rate) seem pretty benign.

Organic Farming Research Foundation
* University of California Santa Cruz Farm and Garden Project
* Predatory Bird Research Group
* Habitat for Humanity
* Make A Wish Foundation
* California Grey Bears
* Hospice Caring Project of Santa Cruz
* Grand Canyon River Guides
* St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
* The Ecological Farming Association
* World Wildlife Fund

___________
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
<A HREF="http://www.donotcall.gov/">http://www.donotcall.gov/</A>
Most telemarketers cannot call your telephone number
if it is in the National Do Not Call Registry.
Vince
2003-07-30 01:14:18 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Organic Farming Research Foundation
* University of California Santa Cruz Farm and Garden Project
* Predatory Bird Research Group
* Habitat for Humanity
* Make A Wish Foundation
* California Grey Bears
* Hospice Caring Project of Santa Cruz
* Grand Canyon River Guides
* St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
* The Ecological Farming Association
* World Wildlife Fund
Explain? Why do you have a problem with the above?
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Mpoconnor7
2003-08-03 07:39:41 UTC
Post by WKC
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
What charity causes? I'm not saying he didn't, but often times one
person's definition of "charity cause" is really a "political cause." >>
I think Newman's a first rate jackass, but the charities he gives to (or the
ones they list at any rate) seem pretty benign.
Organic Farming Research Foundation
* University of California Santa Cruz Farm and Garden Project
* Predatory Bird Research Group
* Habitat for Humanity
* Make A Wish Foundation
* California Grey Bears
* Hospice Caring Project of Santa Cruz
* Grand Canyon River Guides
* St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
* The Ecological Farming Association
* World Wildlife Fund
He makes the best store bought Spaghetti Sauces I've ever eaten; the Sockarooni
is my favorite.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Bob Tiernan
2003-07-29 02:56:55 UTC
Post by WKC
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
I was impressed with Cagney's 64-year marriage.

Bob t
g***@webtv.net
2003-07-29 03:15:22 UTC
Patricia Neal for her courage in fighting her way back from a stroke. I
include her husband for being there and helping her through the bad
days.

Go Dolphins!!!!
Jim
2003-07-29 23:14:12 UTC
Then we should mention Kirk Douglas and his wife for the same reasons.
Jim
2003-07-30 00:03:20 UTC
Robert Downey Jr.
How many people have conquered a drug problem as many times as he has?
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 00:21:42 UTC
Ronald Reagan, for obvious reasons
I think I hate him for the same ones.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Vince
2003-07-29 19:24:40 UTC
Ronald Reagan, for obvious reasons
Like what?
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Wull
2003-07-29 21:45:47 UTC
IOW, you do not think rising to President of the
United States is something to be admired?

Wull
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 00:21:43 UTC
Post by Wull
IOW, you do not think rising to President of the
United States is something to be admired?
Not in his case.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 00:24:46 UTC
Post by Vince
Ronald Reagan, for obvious reasons
Like what?
I think it is very impressive to get so far with a brain like his....
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Richard Schultz
2003-07-30 05:20:28 UTC
In article <1fyw1bz.1bv4sr71kizzniN%***@xs4all.nl>, Martin koolhoven <***@xs4all.nl> wrote:
: Vince <***@cs.com> wrote:
:> In article <***@mb-m17.aol.com>,
:> ***@aol.comznfchfbm (WB) writes:

:> >Ronald Reagan, for obvious reasons
:>
:> Like what?
:
: I think it is very impressive to get so far with a brain like his....

You should rent "Being There."

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"
Martin koolhoven
Martin Koolhoven
Vince
2003-07-30 19:12:37 UTC
Post by Martin koolhoven
I did.
"BEING THERE" I was bored stiff after 30 mins watching it.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Martin koolhoven
2003-08-02 14:44:04 UTC
Geez, Vince. You must be very easily bored!
GEEZ? No I'm not, far from it, the wife didn't like it either and I know a
number of folks who feel the same. Why do you feel you must defend the film?
Eh.... I liked it.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
h***@brazee.net
2003-08-01 11:37:53 UTC
Post by Martin koolhoven
Post by Vince
Like what?
I think it is very impressive to get so far with a brain like his....
Post by Vince
<BR><BR>
and be able to nap through it all too!
Which was probably his best feature. The more politicians nap, the less do.
And that's good.
Richard Brooks
2003-07-30 00:05:53 UTC
Josephine Baker for her activities in the French Resistance.

Richard.
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 00:20:09 UTC
Post by WKC
1) Steve McQueen: For looking after orphans (and secretly, he didn't
publicise it).
2) Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn: For achieving successful
marriages in the midst of Hollywood decadence.
3) Paul Newman: For a successful marriage to Joanne Woodward and also for
successfully raising over 125 million dollars for Charity causes.
Kirk Douglas. Saw him last year on a talkshow in England. He was
singing, being very full of life and humouros. He did not hide after
several strokes and his problem with speeking. (And with his wife for a
long time)
Peter Ustinov for speaking all those languages
Jamie Lee Curtis for her posing in MORE, to reveal the bollocks.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2002-08-19-jamie-lee_x.htm
Oliver Reed for beeing the politically incorrect bastard he was.
Robert Redford for Sundance (and not being affraid of his wrinkles)
Sean Penn for publishing a 4,000-word open letter in the front section
of the New York Times. He claimed that the Bush doctrine thatan
invasion was necessary over fears of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction
were false. Not only true, but also gutsy, especially at that time.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Vince
2003-07-30 01:14:16 UTC
Post by Wull
IOW, you do not think rising to President of the
United States is something to be admired?
In his case no, since I never liked him or wanted him as president, didn't care
for his polices, the folks he appointed Edwin Meese, light bulb head WATT etc,
etc I could go on and on, IMO he was not a great president period.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Vince
2003-07-30 03:23:35 UTC
Somehow that impresses me less.....
--
Say again?
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 11:00:09 UTC
Post by Vince
Somehow that impresses me less.....
--
Say again?
Don't know. But I doubt that you and your wife face the same temptations
as they do.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Vince
2003-07-30 19:12:37 UTC
Post by Martin koolhoven
Don't know. But I doubt that you and your wife face the same temptations
as they do.
Wanna bet? I'm a pro photographer (or I was) whats more while I'm no Ben
Affick, on more than one occasion, I had some very cute bridemaids (and a few
brides as well) and models try to make time with me.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Vince
2003-07-30 03:32:38 UTC
Yes, I'm the one in the family who's always doing the grocery shopping,
but I don't buy his crap. I don't want a single cent of my money going
to left-wing causes, even if they aren't the exclusive beneficiary.
St Jude's is a left wing cause?
So is clean air?
Thats news to me.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Grand Inquisitor
2003-07-30 05:20:17 UTC
Post by Vince
Yes, I'm the one in the family who's always doing the grocery shopping,
but I don't buy his crap. I don't want a single cent of my money going
to left-wing causes, even if they aren't the exclusive beneficiary.
St Jude's is a left wing cause?
So is clean air?
Thats news to me.
Another case of people ignoring parts of my posts. I said I didn't want
my money going to left-wing causes "even if they aren't the exclusive
beneficiary." Besides, nobody said clean air was a left-wing cause, but
most of these environmental groups are just socialist groups in
disguise. Take their word for it. Ever read an interview with that
founding member of Greenpeace, who has since turned his back on all of
that left-wing hooey and pseudoscience passing as conservation?
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
Martin koolhoven
2003-07-30 11:00:07 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Besides, nobody said clean air was a left-wing cause, but
most of these environmental groups are just socialist groups in
disguise.
LOL.
--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
Your Pal Brian
2003-07-30 12:40:25 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Besides, nobody said clean air was a left-wing cause, but
most of these environmental groups are just socialist groups in
disguise.
LOL.
Eminently plonkworthy, but first:

Q: But hasn't environmentalism always been about opposing the
establishment?

A: Environmentalism was always anti-establishment, but in the early
days of Greenpeace we did not characterise ourselves as left wing.
That happened after the fall of the Berlin wall when a whole bunch of
left wing activists, who no longer had any role in the peace, women's
or labour movements, joined us. I would go to the Greenpeace Toronto
office and there would be an awful lot of young people wearing army
fatigues and red berets in there.

http://www.highyieldconservation.org/articles/dr_truth.cfm

Brian
Vince
2003-07-30 19:12:38 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Another case of people ignoring parts of my posts. I said I didn't want
my money going to left-wing causes "even if they aren't the exclusive
beneficiary." Besides, nobody said clean air was a left-wing cause, but
most of these environmental groups are just socialist groups in
disguise. Take their word for it. Ever read an interview with that
founding member of Greenpeace, who has since turned his back on all of
that left-wing hooey and pseudoscience passing as conservation?
I don't buy that for a second friend my whole point is, if the air or water
etc become unusable it'll be for everyone. It won't matter if you're left or
right wing, consevative of liberal. I have to laugh at General Electric's new
ad about "wind power" the biggest polluter on the face of the earth is talking
"wind power" what a sad joke.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
abcedminded
2003-08-01 01:16:56 UTC
Geez, Vince. You must be very easily bored!
GEEZ? No I'm not, far from it, the wife didn't like it either and I know a
number of folks who feel the same. Why do you feel you must defend the
film?
Vince
Check out my listings on E-Bay
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
Why do you think I'm defending the film when my only
comment was that you must be very easily bored?
Perhaps I think the film is an >interesting< failure!

You seem to think that "boring" is simply a quality of the
film rather than function of what interests or engages >you<
(and your wife and a number of other folks).
Vince
2003-08-01 20:55:44 UTC
Post by abcedminded
Why do you think I'm defending the film when my only
comment was that you must be very easily bored?
Perhaps I think the film is an >interesting< failure!
You seem to think that "boring" is simply a quality of the
film rather than function of what interests or engages >you<
(and your wife and a number of other folks).
Bottom line we and others just didn't like the film period.
Look under "BOOKMAGS"
GrapeApe
2003-08-01 04:39:04 UTC
<< >Bob Hope: For probably doing more to lift the morale of our troops than
any other one private American citizen. >><BR><BR>
He loved a captive audience.
Mpoconnor7
2003-08-02 17:54:39 UTC
I always admired Eddie Albert for the work he did on torpedo gyroscope design
during WWII, and he was not a college grad IIRC but extremely well-read. He
was also one of the co-inventors of those decorative birds which dunk back and
forth into a glass of water. And he was also into ecology and the environment
before it became trendy for celebs to get on that bandwagon. I watched his
biography on A&E one evening and was astounded by all the things he had
accomplished besides acting.

Brent McKee
2003-08-07 06:41:34 UTC
Post by Mpoconnor7
was also one of the co-inventors of those decorative birds which dunk back and
forth into a glass of water. And he was also into ecology and the environment
before it became trendy for celebs to get on that bandwagon. I watched his
biography on A&E one evening and was astounded by all the things he had
accomplished besides acting.
Been unable to post for a while, but Eddie Albert has been so involved
with environmental causes before the became fashionable that when
Earth Day was created, the date set was his birthday. He graduated
from the University of Minnesota, and while he may have done torpedo
gyroscope design during World War II he was a legitimate hero for
rescuing 70 wounded Marines during 26 missions during the battle of
Tarawa for which he received the Bronze Star with Combat V. And he
was married to the same woman for 40 years.

- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)
Avoid normal situations.
2003-09-21 06:27:10 UTC
What, no Hedy Lamarr?

--
alt.flame Special Forces
"I shall consider it my patriotic duty to keep Elvis in the ninety per cent
bracket." -- Colonel Tom Parker
Wishy13764
2003-09-22 23:41:35 UTC
Post by Avoid normal situations.
What, no Hedy Lamarr?
I'd bet most people who have cell phones don't even know, that her invention
started the beginning of sound hopping. History channel had a recent special on
her and the invention, but more amazing was the pictures they showed of her
through her career..the woman's beauty was unbelievable...

Vince
2003-08-05 20:29:21 UTC
Roy Rogers.
I remember watching "This is Your Life" on AMC (back when it used to be a
movie & movie-related channel), and seeing the show with Roy and Dale - and
they truly seemed like the most decent, wonderful people around. And then,
of course, when all of their kids - all adopted, several from outside the
US - came on, I just lost it. So, for being a guy who truly deserved the
white hat he wore in the movies, I nominate Roy. ("Turn on the TV, turn off
the light, Roy Rogers is riding tonight!")
Yes that may be the case, BUT what about their relationship with Pat Robertson
one of the biggest NAZIs in American?
Vince
Check out my listings on E-Bay
New things there NOW!