A Dog's Way Home ( 2019 )
2019-11-17 17:01:45 UTC
This is , like A Dog's Purpose, another film based on a book by animal book author Bruce Cameron. Talking animal films are a much derided genre but there are many good ones.
As in A Dog's Purpose the narrator is a dog in trouble. Bella goes through such misery in her travels to return home that , as in A Dog's Purpose, from my perspective there cannot be a happy ending.
ADP is a strange film, strong opening, great close but the middle segments really needed a rewrite and casting. Journey is much more consistent in its quality.
This is another film really for animal lovers for to not feel the plight of the central character is to lose much f the film's strength.
Ashley Judd and James Edward Olmos are in the cast but I did not recognize them.
CGI for the animals works well and the story is realistic. The style and POV for both Purpose and Journey are similar and distinctive, Depressing but well done 8-/10 sad but trues
bermuda999
2019-11-17 21:34:45 UTC

Stephen DeMay
2019-11-18 09:00:40 UTC
Nothing like the insightful posts on rampf
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-31 20:54:14 UTC
[...]
Have yet to see a Dog's Journey but ADWH and A Dog's Purpose are unique to film in the way the animal's thoughts and feelings are part of the story . Most lost animal films do not have talking ( or in this case a thinking ) animals/animal. What distinguishes ADP and ADWH is the depth of the animal's reactions to events. No surprise the screenplay is by a dog book author. I've seen headings for reviews that think the piece " soapy ". Fact is a dog's view of events are probably very similar to those in the story. Picture can be seen as a litmus test to divide animal people from " nots ".with the latter thinking the depiction sentimental rather than the reality it truly represents. 8+/10 go homes
As an aside I've become increasingly aware that the internet is chock full of demons who love to try to label posters who call a spade a spade as " trolls '. Those who do are almost always people who live a life of warped evaluations who do not like to hear that the emperor has no clothes.