best john carpenter moovee?
monsieurblob
2003-12-08 07:03:47 UTC
assault on district 13?

well, its the only one of his i seen...

pretty cool, thou

what wave of aesthetics did it belong to? are these the kinda movies
tarantino homages?
Mpoconnor7
2003-12-08 11:41:51 UTC
Post by monsieurblob
assault on district 13?
well, its the only one of his i seen...
Since it's the only one you've ever seen, then wouldn't it also be the WORST
John Carpenter movie you've ever seen?

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
David Matthews
2003-12-08 12:13:55 UTC
Post by monsieurblob
assault on district 13?
well, its the only one of his i seen...
pretty cool, thou
what wave of aesthetics did it belong to? are these the kinda movies
tarantino homages?
No. Assault on Precinct 13 was made in 1976. Tarantino didn't direct
his first movie until 1987.

I'm a Carpenter fan so I don't have a favorite. I've liked most of the
ones I've seen. I even liked the unacknowledged remake of Assault on
Precinct 13 - The Ghosts of Mars although most people didn't.

Dave in Toronto.
Grand Inquisitor
2003-12-08 19:35:19 UTC
Post by David Matthews
No. Assault on Precinct 13 was made in 1976. Tarantino didn't direct
his first movie until 1987.
I'm a Carpenter fan so I don't have a favorite. I've liked most of the
ones I've seen. I even liked the unacknowledged remake of Assault on
Precinct 13 - The Ghosts of Mars although most people didn't.
Dave in Toronto.
Ghosts of Mars was great, why did everybody hate it?
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
David Matthews
2003-12-08 21:58:42 UTC
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Post by David Matthews
No. Assault on Precinct 13 was made in 1976. Tarantino didn't direct
his first movie until 1987.
I'm a Carpenter fan so I don't have a favorite. I've liked most of the
ones I've seen. I even liked the unacknowledged remake of Assault on
Precinct 13 - The Ghosts of Mars although most people didn't.
Dave in Toronto.
Ghosts of Mars was great, why did everybody hate it?
Grand Inquisitor
Is it possible that diehard Carpenter fans felt they had been ripped
off when they realized they were watching Assault on Precinct 13 in a
different setting? I don't think there was any mention of that in the
credits. I actually saw Ghost of Mars first so it obviously didn't
bother me. Perhaps someone who hated the movie could post and tell us
why.

Dave in Toronto
Grand Inquisitor
2003-12-09 02:57:17 UTC
Post by David Matthews
Is it possible that diehard Carpenter fans felt they had been ripped
off when they realized they were watching Assault on Precinct 13 in a
different setting? I don't think there was any mention of that in the
credits. I actually saw Ghost of Mars first so it obviously didn't
bother me. Perhaps someone who hated the movie could post and tell us
why.
Dave in Toronto
It wasn't just the Carpenter fans. Besides, he's done plenty of Assault
on Precinct 13's, it's just variations on a theme, big deal. The Thing,
Prince of Darkness, and there are many scenes in his movies that are
like smaller versions of Assault on Precinct 13. Each one is different
enough that you needn't feel ripped off, kind of like how people felt
when they saw Home Alone 2.
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
Nick Macpherson
2003-12-09 05:45:09 UTC
Post by David Matthews
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Ghosts of Mars was great, why did everybody hate it?
Grand Inquisitor
Is it possible that diehard Carpenter fans felt they had been ripped
off when they realized they were watching Assault on Precinct 13 in a
different setting?
Even Ice Cube didn't like Ghost of Mars and, besides acting in it, he's a
Carpenter fan.

Brian De Palma said that he couldn't figure out why people were so down on
Mission to Mars when it was the best of the three Mars films. Is it possible
for a filmmaker to set the bar any lower? He made a film that was better than
Red Planet and Ghosts of Mars and he's happy.
Dgates
2003-12-09 06:25:12 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by David Matthews
Post by Grand Inquisitor
Ghosts of Mars was great, why did everybody hate it?
Grand Inquisitor
Is it possible that diehard Carpenter fans felt they had been ripped
off when they realized they were watching Assault on Precinct 13 in a
different setting?
Even Ice Cube didn't like Ghost of Mars and, besides acting in it, he's a
Carpenter fan.
Brian De Palma said that he couldn't figure out why people were so down on
Mission to Mars when it was the best of the three Mars films. Is it possible
for a filmmaker to set the bar any lower? He made a film that was better than
Red Planet and Ghosts of Mars and he's happy.
Plus (and do I even need to mention this), Red Planet stomped Mission
to Mars!
***@spamfreelinkline.com
David Matthews
2003-12-09 08:01:53 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by David Matthews
off when they realized they were watching Assault on Precinct 13 in a
different setting?
Even Ice Cube didn't like Ghost of Mars and, besides acting in it, he's a
Carpenter fan.
Did he ever say why he didn't like it?

Dave in Toronto
Grand Inquisitor
2003-12-08 19:34:45 UTC
The Thing, and then the close runners up would be They Live, Big Trouble
in Little China, Assault on Precinct 13, and Dark Star.
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
Bill Binkelman
2003-12-08 22:39:44 UTC
Post by monsieurblob
assault on district 13?
well, its the only one of his i seen...
pretty cool, thou
what wave of aesthetics did it belong to? are these the kinda movies
tarantino homages?
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
Escape from New York
(in that order)
Mpoconnor7
2003-12-09 01:42:50 UTC
In the 1980's, Carpenter had a string of films that I thought were very good.
The closest he ever came to becoming a mainstream director was "Starman", but I
thought everything he did between Escape From NY and They Live were quality
films.

2003-12-09 04:59:56 UTC
Post by monsieurblob
assault on district 13?
well, its the only one of his i seen...
pretty cool, thou
what wave of aesthetics did it belong to? are these the kinda movies
tarantino homages?
Nobody yet mentioned Halloween.

TBerk
Mpoconnor7
2003-12-09 10:25:05 UTC
Post by T
Nobody yet mentioned Halloween.
I never cared for Halloween. I think it loses a lot of credibility due to the
overall quality of the film series..

U***@sbcglobal.net
2003-12-09 19:56:08 UTC
The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China

I am so sorry that Big Trouble didn't get the attention it deserved. Jack
Burton was a great invention.
tarantino homages?
Mpoconnor7
2003-12-09 22:40:47 UTC
Post by U***@sbcglobal.net
I am so sorry that Big Trouble didn't get the attention it deserved. Jack
Burton was a great invention.
I'd rather John Carpenter had done a sequel to Big Trouble instead of his
disappointing Escape from LA.

Lawrence Chalmers
2003-12-16 18:14:02 UTC
The music for Halloween 1 made the film for me.
gggg gggg
2021-07-23 06:52:25 UTC
https://collider.com/why-escape-from-la-is-good/