Creature from the black Lagoon ( 1954)
2020-01-24 23:16:58 UTC
Classic horror/fantasystill works after all these years and viewings.
Story : paleontologist finds hand of strange creature. Scientists take a boat trip to see what's what.
Excellent example of good actors ( several familiar faces ) with appropriate dialogue move the plot forward in an enjoyable way. Aqua man has classic look tho only a man in a rubber suit. Julie Adams is classic, nice/smart/attractive scientist whose tank suit swim with the gill man looking on from below is nicely done.
Shot outdoors cinematography has great crisp deep b & w effect. Score is at times frantic, other times pastoral to provide distinctive added texture for the visuals. Liked that Richard Carlson cared enough for the " creature " he stopped o thersfrom finishing him off at the end. Two sequels are cheesy. 8-/10 likeable creatures
moviePig
Two words: 3. D.
Stephen DeMay
a bit early for me to have seen this in a theater. I would think the spear guns got the 3 D treatment
moviePig
Yes, but iirc the "mirrored" swimming was especially fetching.
Bill Anderson
2020-01-25 04:44:44 UTC
Post by moviePig
[...]
I saw it being filmed at Marineland in Florida. Seriously, I was a very
little kid and we were vacationing. I remember nothing about it, but my
parents have told me I was there.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
moviePig
2020-01-25 14:51:22 UTC
Post by moviePig
[...]
You mean it *wasn't* shot in a remote South American lagoon? As a young
kid, *I* was told that the man in the rubber suit was the lifeguard at
our local public swimming pool. I think CFtBL must qualify as one of
the more lastingly iconic among American horror movies, as its imagery
is still a touchstone today, afaics, maybe even more than, say, ALIEN's.
Bill Anderson
2020-01-26 04:42:43 UTC
Post by moviePig
[...]
At the age of 7 I saw it being filmed at Marineland in Florida.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-26 14:42:30 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
[...]
Got my dates crossed , by '54 I was certainly going to the movies in '54 but can't recall seeing a 3 D CFTBL Do recall the '53 It Came From Outer Space in 3 D, the spaceship crashing nto the face of the viewer was my strongest 3D recolection . Also strongly remember the paddle balls from House of Wax. Afer Vincent Price Richard Carlson may have been in more early SF/Fantasy/horror films than anyone : TCFTBL, The Maze, Riders To The Stars, The Magnetic Monster, It Came From Outer Space.
Post by Bill Anderson
--
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty Favog