Lime is Greene
Mack A. Damia
2020-01-19 19:32:33 UTC
"The Third Man" is playing presently on TCM. It never fails to
impress me. A true synergy of genius.

Who is Harry Lime, exactly? One of the most famous and charming
villains in movies, certainly, and one of the best roles Orson Welles
ever had, but who did Graham Greene have in mind when he began writing
The Third Man, a week after leaving war-ravaged Vienna, in February
1948?

Was Harry roughly modeled after Kim Philby?

"THE CLASSICS: HARRY LIME, MI6 AND KIM PHILBY"

http://www.paulbyrnes.net/the-classics-harry-lime-mi6-and-kim-philby/

Sounds reasonable, but I don't know enough about Philby, or Greene for
that matter.
Mack A. Damia
2020-01-19 19:36:40 UTC
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 11:32:33 -0800, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
"The Third Man" is playing presently on TCM. It never fails to
impress me. A true synergy of genius.
Who is Harry Lime, exactly? One of the most famous and charming
villains in movies, certainly, and one of the best roles Orson Welles
ever had, but who did Graham Greene have in mind when he began writing
The Third Man, a week after leaving war-ravaged Vienna, in February
1948?
Was Harry roughly modeled after Kim Philby?
"THE CLASSICS: HARRY LIME, MI6 AND KIM PHILBY"
http://www.paulbyrnes.net/the-classics-harry-lime-mi6-and-kim-philby/
Sounds reasonable, but I don't know enough about Philby, or Greene for
that matter.
Apologies to some. This has been discussed in here years ago. I
meant to post it to another newsgroup.