Prime Instant Video?
John Doe
2014-05-18 22:10:40 UTC
I don't see anything in the group list about the subject, please
correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming you are or have been an Amazon Prime member ($99 per
year).

What's it all about? How does the streaming movie part compare to
Netflix? When you search for a movie title, does it give you results
that say being a Prime member isn't enough? Or does it just say that
the title you can't stream is available only on DVD, like Netflix?

Thanks.
trotsky
2014-05-18 22:50:41 UTC
Post by John Doe
I don't see anything in the group list about the subject, please
correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm assuming you are or have been an Amazon Prime member ($99 per
year).
What's it all about? How does the streaming movie part compare to
Netflix? When you search for a movie title, does it give you results
that say being a Prime member isn't enough? Or does it just say that
the title you can't stream is available only on DVD, like Netflix?
I tried Amazon Prime for its 30 day free trial. The first difficulty I
had was that not all my devices that I use to stream video had an Amazon
app. I have an LG bluray player I use on my main TV that doesn't have
it. My second TV had a Sony smart TV device at the time which had the
Amazon Prime app so I watched stuff on there. I really don't know how
good Amazon prime is as a source of streaming video because I found the
ability to search for content the worst out of the three main companies,
Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix. I have since got a Roku box and found that
the number of free channels for movies and such to be incredible,
although I still subscribe to Hulu at least for the time being. One
thing that amazed me is that since the series began, "Hannibal" has only
been available via computer viewing on Hulu, whereas Roku just came out
with a Plex app that's a companion to the Plex streaming program for
computers. This app lets you pick various video channels, NBC being one
of them, and not only can I watch "Hannibal" streaming to my computer,
but I can watch it without the commercials that Hulu makes me watch.
The thing I like least about streaming is that it takes an awful lot of
brain power to peruse the various sources to decide what you want to
watch. But I would never give it up.
John Doe
2014-05-18 23:21:48 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by John Doe
I'm assuming you are or have been an Amazon Prime member ($99
per year).
What's it all about? How does the streaming movie part compare
to Netflix? When you search for a movie title, does it give you
results that say being a Prime member isn't enough? Or does it
just say that the title you can't stream is available only on
DVD, like Netflix?
I tried Amazon Prime for its 30 day free trial.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing, it's easy enough. I'm finding of my
favorite fewer movies than on Netflix, and they are already on
Netflix.
Post by trotsky
The first difficulty I had was that not all my devices that I
use to stream video had an Amazon app.
Apparently my Android tablet doesn't.
Post by trotsky
I found the ability to search for content the worst out of the
three main companies, Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.
I'm having little trouble, except repeatedly having to select the
"Prime" checkbox.
Post by trotsky
I have since got a Roku box and found that the number of free
channels for movies and such to be incredible,
Tell me about it. It delivers through your Internet, right? So
they should have software that works on a PC without any
additional hardware device.
notbob
2014-05-18 23:43:11 UTC
Post by John Doe
I'm assuming you are or have been an Amazon Prime member ($99 per
year).
I got in b4 price increase. It's still worth it, as I got Prime
primarily to save on shipping costs, as I'm fairly rural. I can order
a single $5 item and BOOM! ...two day shipping at no cost. ;)
Post by John Doe
What's it all about? How does the streaming movie part compare to
Netflix? When you search for a movie title, does it give you results
that say being a Prime member isn't enough? Or does it just say that
the title you can't stream is available only on DVD, like Netflix?
I have both and Amazon Prime is definitely better than Netflix for
broadband streaming. In fact, I think Amzn is pressuring Netflix to
improve their streaming diversity. Prime has a lot more "classic"
movies. Magnificent Seven, Night At the Opera, Naked Jungle, are few
examples. More obscure movies, too. Donovan's Reef, Hatari, and
We're No Angels have been a couple of surprise streamers from Prime.
If it weren't for the guitar and fishing instructional videos (I have
DVD Netflix, also), I think I'd dump Netflix altogether. I got an
email from Netflix notifying me they had the last Star Trek movie,
Into Darkness, online. I'd watched it the night before on Prime.
Prime also has a lotta contemporary TV shows. The Daily Report and
Colbert Report are two, but you gotta stay up with them cuz only
available for about a week, then eps become rentals.

If Prime doesn't have it as streaming, you can still find it, but as
an overnight or weekly rental or an outright purchase.

OTOH, I'm currently watching Angels and Demons (Da Vinci Code sequel)
on Popcorn streaming for free.

Another thing that really pisses my off about Netflix, is their
selection procedure. I have Roku and Netflix only posts a relatively
limited number of available movies. I gotta get on my computer and
log into Netflix if I want a more comprehensive selection. They are
also extremely poor about posting new arrivals, either streaming or
DVD. I gotta look at the RedBox sign down at the sprmkt cuz Netlix
damn sure doesn't tell you what new movies have become available. I
finally got Hobbit2 on DVD, but didn't find out about it being
available from Netflix! Saw it for sale at WallyWorld. They hold off
on announcing new movies so there won't be a stampede to order em.
Bastids!

nb
anim8rFSK
2014-05-18 23:58:35 UTC
Post by John Doe
I don't see anything in the group list about the subject, please
correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm assuming you are or have been an Amazon Prime member ($99 per
year).
What's it all about?
Alfie

How does the streaming movie part compare to
Post by John Doe
Netflix?
Picture quality is about the same. Interface is waaaay worse. If you
FF or REW you don't get any visual indicator of where you are, just a
time counter.

Post by John Doe
that say being a Prime member isn't enough?
Yeah, it gives you both 'pay' and 'free' results. I'd sure love to be
able to set it to 'free' only; I suspect a lot of people accidentally
pay for something they didn't intend too, and I also suspect that that's
exactly why they don't let you set it for 'free only'

Or does it just say that
Post by John Doe
the title you can't stream is available only on DVD, like Netflix?
If the title isn't available for streaming, it just says 'no results
found'
Post by John Doe
Thanks.
Having said that, allow me to elaborate. I can access Amazon Instant in
at least 4 different ways; in a browser on my computer, an app on my
iPad, an app on my PS3, and an app on my Plasma, and all 4 ways are
completely different. The most convenient is the built in app on the
Plasma, and it's also the worst, by far. For instant, it doesn't know
about my watchlist, so saving titles for later is worthless. It doesn't
know what I watched last either; you have to do a SEARCH every time.
And when you're watching a TV series, you have to navigate through about
6 clicks to go to the next episode, which is just ridiculous.

There's absolutely no way I'd sign up for Amazon Instant if I had to pay
for it, but as a free bonus to PRIME shipping, it's okay.
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
John Doe
2014-05-19 00:15:24 UTC
Post by John Doe
How does the streaming movie part compare to Netflix?
Picture quality is about the same. Interface is waaaay worse.
If you FF or REW you don't get any visual indicator of where you
are, just a time counter.
Totally agreed, that makes a huge difference for reviewing a
video.
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by John Doe
When you search for a movie title, does it give you results
that say being a Prime member isn't enough?
Yeah, it gives you both 'pay' and 'free' results. I'd sure love
to be able to set it to 'free' only
I just noticed that you can check the "Prime" box in the left
pane. You might have to recheck it from time to time.
anim8rFSK
2014-05-19 01:56:16 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by John Doe
When you search for a movie title, does it give you results
that say being a Prime member isn't enough?
Yeah, it gives you both 'pay' and 'free' results. I'd sure love
to be able to set it to 'free' only
I just noticed that you can check the "Prime" box in the left
pane. You might have to recheck it from time to time.
Is that in a browser?
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
John Doe
2014-05-19 02:37:48 UTC
I completely agree also with the comment about Amazon search. Amazon
is like a well oiled machine, but the search engine and free shipping
are the worst.

So far, I've found Wayne's World and Galaxy Quest that aren't on
Netflix. I'm not saying they're good, but may be better than nothing.
notbob
2014-05-19 14:00:31 UTC
Post by John Doe
is like a well oiled machine, but the search engine and free shipping
are the worst.
????

I don't know about search. Do you mean for movies or Amazon sales? I
have a Roku, so all searches for movies pretty much suck, it being
like a game platform keyboard. Up arrow, down, right, left, enter.

But, the shipping?? Not sure what you mean. I got Prime for the
shipping. The movies were an afterthought. I love the shipping.
Like I said, several times I've bought a single $5 item jes to see how
well the Prime shipping works. If the item is "handled" by Amazon, I
pay zero shipping charge and it's here, delivered to my door by UPS in
two days, regardless of item price. Who beats that?

nb
John Doe
2014-05-19 17:15:08 UTC
Post by notbob
Amazon is like a well oiled machine, but the search engine and
free shipping are the worst.
But, the shipping?? Not sure what you mean. I got Prime for
the shipping.
As explicitly stated, I'm talking about Amazon's "free shipping".
Specifically FedEx Slowpoke (a.k.a. "FedEx Smartpost") shipping. I
can spend the $35, but the order shouldn't take over a week to get
here. A couple of days after the order (apparently waiting for me
to order something else so they can combine order shipping), they
put it on a truck, the truck takes almost a week, and then they
play keepaway from the US Post Office for two days before the
order is delivered. Happens every time they use FedEx Slowpoke
shipping. Might partly depend on where you live.

Of course you can pay for faster shipping or commit yourself to
Prime, but that doesn't explain why it takes at least a week to
ship a small item via FedEx Slowpoke.
Post by notbob
Who beats that?
Most independent sellers on Fleabay hand your order to the post
office, the USPS puts it on a plane, and you get it in two or
three days. The difference in free shipping is amazing.

By the way... Night At the Opera is in fact not on Amazon Prime
for streaming. I didn't check your other examples. But from my
search yesterday, there is no comparison between Amazon and
Netflix for movies made in the last 30 years. And that's the pits.

I'm doing the free trial just to check out the movies. If that's
all there is, I will probably cancel the membership and exercise
my ability to freely shop around when I want to avoid FedEx
Slowpoke shipping. I don't like the idea of being pushed to order
stuff from Amazon (or any other such deal). That's why they are
pushing Prime, getting you to order more stuff from them. "The
more you order, the more you save!" Pushing Prime is why Amazon is
showing Prime-only search results even when I am logged in as a
non-Prime user.
anim8rFSK
2014-05-19 20:02:47 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by notbob
Amazon is like a well oiled machine, but the search engine and
free shipping are the worst.
But, the shipping?? Not sure what you mean. I got Prime for
the shipping.
As explicitly stated, I'm talking about Amazon's "free shipping".
Specifically FedEx Slowpoke (a.k.a. "FedEx Smartpost") shipping. I
can spend the $35, but the order shouldn't take over a week to get
here. A couple of days after the order (apparently waiting for me
to order something else so they can combine order shipping), they
put it on a truck, the truck takes almost a week, and then they
play keepaway from the US Post Office for two days before the
order is delivered. Happens every time they use FedEx Slowpoke
shipping. Might partly depend on where you live.
You're lucky if you got FedEx SmartPost in a week. The Amazon forums
are full of thousands of complaints; it seems most SmartPost packages
*never* arrive.
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
John Doe
2014-05-20 03:52:31 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by John Doe
Post by notbob
[...]
Looking at some Amazon customer experiences with FedEx Slowpoke...

"I'm rethinking my Prime account because of this"

And I thought that garbage was for free shipping only.
anim8rFSK
2014-05-20 05:15:37 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by John Doe
Post by notbob
[...]
Yeah, the use of FedEx SmartPost for PRIME second day shipping has to
stop. When I don't get my package the second day, I demand a refund or
replacement that day. They try to tell you to wait a week, but I've
backed them down - so far. I've seen people on the forums that say
they've had their PRIME accounts cancelled for insisting 2nd day
shipping actually arrive second day.
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
notbob
2014-05-20 15:33:42 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
Yeah, the use of FedEx SmartPost for PRIME second day shipping has to
stop. When I don't get my package the second day, I demand a refund or
replacement that day. They try to tell you to wait a week, but I've
backed them down - so far. I've seen people on the forums that say
they've had their PRIME accounts cancelled for insisting 2nd day
shipping actually arrive second day.
Not sure why you folks are having these probs. I get everything I buy
within two days, without exception. Unless I order jes before the
weekend, which translates into two working days, then I get it after
the weekend. Usually, even small packages like padded envelopes are
delivered right to my door by UPS. Only yesterday did I find my pkg
in my mailbox, but still on the 2nd working day after a Thur order.
Also, I'm fairly rural, the nearest urban hub being located hearly 100
miles away. Where you guys live? Eyebrow, Zambia? I live in
Nosepick, CO, USA and have NEVER waited longer than 2 working days.
;)

nb
John Doe
2014-05-20 15:45:51 UTC
I live in a well populated residential area in a large city.

Besides my own many experiences, looking at all the complaints
from others about Amazon's use of FedEx Slowpoke, the problem has
nothing to do with where one lives.

Some fan boys will say anything, like claiming that Amazon's Prime
Instant Video is better than Netflix. That lie is clearly fan boy
material...
nb
notbob
2014-05-20 16:56:31 UTC
Post by John Doe
nothing to do with where one lives.
Some fan boys will say anything.....
No fan boy, here. Merely reporting the facts as they have occured.
I'm truly sorry you are having such a poor experience with Amazon.
Clearly, it sucks to be you. ;)

nb
John Doe
2014-05-20 18:03:38 UTC
This thing says "Amazon Prime is definitely better than Netflix
for broadband streaming". That's obviously a lie and it's clearly
fanboy material...
nb
anim8rFSK
2014-05-20 20:01:25 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by anim8rFSK
[...]
The problem is FedEx SmartPost. Actual FedEx, actual UPS, Hell, actual
USPS, arrives second day. Half my stuff comes first day via Ontrac.

FedEx SmartPost is this scam wherein Amazon gives FedEx the package, and
FedEx hands it off to the USPS, and ... that counts as 'delivered' The
USPS then can take as long as they want - days, weeks, forever - to get
the package to you, and it still counts as meeting the two day window,
apparently even if it NEVER arrives. Also, tracking often stops working
at the handoff, so you don't even know where the thing is.
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
John Doe
2014-05-20 20:13:48 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
The problem is FedEx SmartPost. Actual FedEx, actual UPS, Hell,
actual USPS, arrives second day.
Yes it does. Independent sellers on eBay hand it to the post
office and the post office gets it here in 2 to 3 days,
consistently.
Post by anim8rFSK
FedEx SmartPost is this scam wherein Amazon gives FedEx the
package, and FedEx hands it off to the USPS, and ... that counts
as 'delivered'
If you're talking about the glitch that says "out for delivery",
it hasn't gotten to the USPS yet. Otherwise it wouldn't show that
it's going through "Fedex Smartpost" locations, and it would show
up on USPS tracking (but it doesn't). FedEx is still handling the
package. It doesn't get to the USPS until the USPS shows tracking
information.
Post by anim8rFSK
Also, tracking often stops working at the handoff, so you don't
even know where the thing is.
I think tracking information updates are a little slow when USPS
gets it.
anim8rFSK
2014-05-21 02:05:30 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
FedEx SmartPost is this scam wherein Amazon gives FedEx the
package, and FedEx hands it off to the USPS, and ... that counts
as 'delivered'
If you're talking about the glitch that says "out for delivery",
it hasn't gotten to the USPS yet. Otherwise it wouldn't show that
it's going through "Fedex Smartpost" locations, and it would show
up on USPS tracking (but it doesn't). FedEx is still handling the
package. It doesn't get to the USPS until the USPS shows tracking
information.
It doesn't say 'out for delivery' it says it's delivered to the post
office, and Amazon will tell you on the phone that that counts as
delivery - the additional days, weeks, months, years that USPS has it
don't count.
Obveeus
2014-05-20 20:40:29 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by notbob
Post by anim8rFSK
[...]
I wouldn't take notbob too seriously as he clearly has some sort of
stock short position or something in Netflix (or works for Amazon). The
illogical list of complaints he made against Netflix was nothing short
of 'fan boy' dreams...or outright attempts to lie and manipulate people.
He claims Netflix doesn't tell people about new releases, a problem
that only exists because he doesn't use his Netflix account to look at
the new releases section. He claims that the streaming doesn't work as
well, which is, if not a complete lie, certainly a problem with Roku,
not Netflix. He claims the selection isn't as vast/wide even though
Netflix has far more offerings (both new and old) than any of the other
legal streaming options. Maybe he has Netflix stock shorted the past
year or two and thinks that his pokes at Netflix will bring about their
downfall or something, but he would be wise to stop trying to deceive
people about the product. It is about as odd as those people who
actually think that the TV writers read Usenet and modify the plotlines
accordingly to make us happy.
anim8rFSK
2014-05-21 02:03:07 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by notbob
Post by anim8rFSK
[...]
netflix emailed me that CRAP TREK INTO CRAPNESS was out Saturday.
Amazon didn't. Not sure which I prefer.
Post by Obveeus
that only exists because he doesn't use his Netflix account to look at
the new releases section. He claims that the streaming doesn't work as
well, which is, if not a complete lie, certainly a problem with Roku,
Yeah, I haven't noticed any consistent superiority.
notbob
2014-05-21 02:06:40 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Netflix has far more offerings (both new and old) than any of the other
legal streaming options. Maybe he has Netflix stock shorted the past
I'm shorting Netflix? You guys are blatantly sucking Netflix cock!

nb
notbob
2014-05-19 20:24:57 UTC
Post by John Doe
As explicitly stated, I'm talking about Amazon's "free shipping".
Specifically FedEx Slowpoke (a.k.a. "FedEx Smartpost") shipping.
Prime is, first and formost, "free shipping". Since you didn't
specify over "$35" free shipping (I'm quite familiar with the
difference) in your article, the one I replied to, and since the
thread is about Amazon Prime, I see nothing explicit in your
statement.
Post by John Doe
Might partly depend on where you live.
Ya' think?
Post by John Doe
By the way... Night At the Opera is in fact not on Amazon Prime
for streaming.
It was last week when I saw it available for free streaming, but
decided to not watch it ....again. Has it ever occured to you that
perhaps Amazon's movie selection or shipping policies don't revolve
around you? I thought not.

Hozabout you jes get Prime and knock off the sniveling. Or don't.
Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass one way or the other.

nb
John Doe
2014-05-21 03:27:24 UTC
My tablet PC protective case that is being delivered by FedEx
Slowpoke just took a major detour.

ARG!

Another lesson learned.
anim8rFSK
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?
John Doe
2014-06-04 22:02:26 UTC
Off tipic...

I'm almost thru the Prime trial. Seeing lots of "pantry" results
with a $6 shipping charge. Is there any way to filter out pantry
results, or is that just another way they sucker us into paying
more than we bargained for?

Looks like a racket... They show logged-in non-prime users Prime
results. Then for logged-in Prime users they slip in the Pantry
results.

Dave Garrett
2014-05-21 02:03:34 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@nothome.com
says...
Post by notbob
I don't know about search. Do you mean for movies or Amazon sales? I
have a Roku, so all searches for movies pretty much suck, it being
like a game platform keyboard. Up arrow, down, right, left, enter.
If you have a smartphone or tablet, Roku offers both iOS and Android
apps that allow you to use your phone or tablet as a remote. It's a hell
of a lot faster and easier to use those devices' onscreen keyboards to
enter search terms than it is to hunt and peck with the arrow keys on
the Roku remote. Plus, occasionally my (admittedly older) Roku will
freeze up and refuse to respond to any input from the remote, but
eventually responds to input from the app.