METROPOLIS
Obveeus
2016-12-18 03:29:41 UTC
Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is under development to be redone as a TV
miniseries:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
A Friend
2016-12-18 04:24:18 UTC
That's great! Brandon Routh for Superman!
Adam H. Kerman
2016-12-18 04:31:44 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Obveeus
Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is under development to be redone as a TV
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
That's great! Brandon Routh for Superman!
Where are they going to get the 35,000 extras? In the Weimar Republic,
"scale pay" was pretty damn low.
David Johnston
CGI. CGI lets you get away with a lot of shit.
Michael Black
2016-12-18 16:07:12 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by A Friend
Post by Obveeus
Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is under development to be redone as a TV
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
That's great! Brandon Routh for Superman!
Where are they going to get the 35,000 extras? In the Weimar Republic,
"scale pay" was pretty damn low.
But those wheelbarrows to take the pay home were expensive.

Michael
tomcervo
Griffith's "Isn't Life Wonderful", shot in Berlin in 1923, included a food riot over a cartload of potatoes. They had to keep getting more potatoes--the extras were stealing them.
william ahearn
2016-12-19 22:30:14 UTC
It also happened with Double Indemnity due to rationing. Stuff was disappearing from the supermarket scene and guards had to be posted. Isn't Life Wonderful didn't even open in Germany as Erich Pommer hated it and the film flopped everywhere else ruining Griffith who used his own money and that sent him back to the studios as a contract director.
tomcervo
2016-12-20 14:06:07 UTC
There's also "America", DWG's American Revolution pic, out at the same time. While "Isn't Life Wonderful" is said to be worth a look, "America" is worthwhile only to see Lionel Barrymore in his physical prime, and there are clips for that. The movie itself is terrible.
Michael Black
2016-12-18 04:38:24 UTC
Post by Obveeus
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
Wasn't it already redone, sort of?

About 1984, Giorgio Moroder had a version out, with a pop soundtrack. But
I only saw it once, when it was released, so I can't remember if any of it
was tamptered with. Of course, the music was quite different.

I did get the "original" on DVD a few years back, that one's supposed to
be a restored version. I've only watched it once, and that was the only
time other than the Moroder version that I'd seen it.

Michael
David Johnston
2016-12-18 05:41:58 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Obveeus
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
Wasn't it already redone, sort of?
About 1984, Giorgio Moroder had a version out, with a pop soundtrack.
But I only saw it once, when it was released, so I can't remember if any
of it was tamptered with.
Matter of definition. Moroder used incomplete footage because that was
all he had. The re-release was after they managed to find a bit more.
Deeeestruction!
hector
2016-12-18 15:32:52 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Obveeus
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
Wasn't it already redone, sort of?
About 1984, Giorgio Moroder had a version out, with a pop soundtrack.
But I only saw it once, when it was released, so I can't remember if any
of it was tamptered with. Of course, the music was quite different.
I did get the "original" on DVD a few years back, that one's supposed to
be a restored version. I've only watched it once, and that was the only
time other than the Moroder version that I'd seen it.
Michael
The Giorgio Moroder version was the most up to date version at the time.
I think he did a good version of the movies opening part too.
Some bits of Metropolis, not sure what they were, had been found in
Canberra, Australia, maybe the library, which I've been to once, and had
watched two silent Louise Brooks movies there.

The latest version makes Metropolis seem more like the story of the
Titanic than ever. The story had always seemed to be a bit silly before
this one came out.
There is a sense of doom in the very modern city which has a better life
for those in the upper part, than in the lower part. Some don't see it
coming. Eventually the lower part floods and those below have to escape
through staircases that are blocked. Interestingly the Germans seemed to
associate science with mysticism or draw for science from mysticism,
which is shown in this movie.
Michael Black
2016-12-18 16:38:58 UTC
Post by hector
Post by Michael Black
Post by Obveeus
[...]
That's what I remember, it came when they had some lost footage. But I
only saw it once, so I cant' remember if they tampered with the story in
the movie.

Of course, at least one song from the movie used bits of the movie for a
music video, so that got lots of airplay at the time, back when there were
tv channels that aired music videos.

Michael
this movie.
hector
2016-12-21 13:00:14 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by hector
Post by Michael Black
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Here in Australia they were broadcasting music videos before MTV, which
helped boost the career of Abba, and I heard, but I don't remember, Devo
were having their clips shown here.
They have shows that broadcast heaps of music videos here, but showing
of old clips is on the rise, due to the paucities of the present age.
I've always had trouble with music videos, and they just seem to get
worse. But Australia also might have been trying to catch up in the 70s
after America was done with shows like Hullabaloo.

I dutifully went to the cinema to see Metropolis back then, in the 80s,
and I saw other screenings of available prints, including one with
almost no soundtrack. The last release, that I know of, on bluray, is
far and away the best one. The Fritz Lang movie, about a trip to the
moon, I haven't managed to find since the 80s.
Post by Michael Black
Michael
gtr
2016-12-18 18:49:37 UTC
I watched Metropolis more than once in the early 70's and could hardly
make any sense of it. The newest version (2010) with the additional
Argentinian 25 minutes, now finally makes logical narrative sense. I
found it a truly fascinating movie for both content and technique. It
is the *145* minute version.

References in the thread about "a few years ago" could have been any version.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/movies/05metropolis.html
gggg gggg
2021-09-03 16:41:28 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is under development to be redone as a TV
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
According to this:

- ...Only Metropolis and 2001 could be considered visionary – for their tales, not their technical wizardry.

https://www.altfg.com/film/blade-runner-movie-review/#Visionary
gggg gggg
2021-09-06 16:41:18 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is under development to be redone as a TV
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-sam-esmail-eyes-metropolis-miniseries-948577
According to this:

- Metropolis is a dark dream of the city of 2026, where the idle rich live in penthouses and play in rooftop pleasure gardens while the faceless workers toil in the machine caverns far, far below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)#Later_acclaim