Kurt Russell & Carpenter Upset with New Escape from NY
Garondo Marondo
2007-03-23 02:48:16 UTC
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070322h.php

By Garth FranklinThursday March 22nd 2007 1:45am

Various people have been vocal about the casting of Gerard Butler as
Snake Plissken in the upcominig "Escape from New York" remake, and now
the original star has weighed in.

Talking with Entertainment Weekly, actor Kurt Russell had some less
than flattering things to say about Butler's casting - and the remake
in general.

"When I was told who was going to play Snake Plissken, my initial
reaction was ''Oh, man!'' [Russell winces]. I do think that character
was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American...He's a
fascinating character. In fact, he's the most complex character I've
ever played" says Russell.

So no chance of a cameo by Russell? "F--- that! I am Snake Plissken!
It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version
of Bond."

Meanwhile the original's writer/director John Carpenter tells Suicide
Girls that the film looks to be more of a prequel than the original -
"I don't know that it's a remake. I think it's a lot about Snake
before he gets to New York" says Carpenter.

The director is also perfectly candid about his involvement - "My main
involvement is I read the scripts and make sure the character is the
same character that we wrote originally. I think that would be cool.
My other main involvement in this project is to extend my hand and
have a check placed in it...After 30 odd years of being in the fucking
business, it's nice to not have to do anything and get paid."
Michael O'Connor
2007-03-23 10:32:29 UTC
I like Gerard Butler, but Hugh Jackman would have been a much better
choice to play Snake.
l***@my-deja.com
2007-03-23 15:55:00 UTC
Now that New York's been all cleaned up, they're going to have to
change the whole premise (or locale) of the movie. Back in the mid-70s
when the original film was conceived, its premise didn't seem all that
fanciful. But that was pre-Giuliani. What's Plissken gonna do now?
Fight through all the tourists packing Times Square?
Anim8rFSK
I guarantee you they'll blame NY falling apart on global warming.
Neill Massello
Set it in New Orleans.
Octo Mancer
2007-03-24 09:34:12 UTC
Post by Garondo Marondo
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070322h.php
<snip>
Post by Garondo Marondo
The director is also perfectly candid about his involvement - "My main
involvement is I read the scripts and make sure the character is the
same character that we wrote originally. I think that would be cool. My
other main involvement in this project is to extend my hand and have a
check placed in it...After 30 odd years of being in the fucking
business, it's nice to not have to do anything and get paid."
Classic friendly fire. 3 words: The Italian Job <shudder>
--
Frobnicate, v.:

To manipulate or adjust, to tweak. Derived from FROBNITZ. Usually
abbreviated to FROB. Thus one has the saying "to frob a frob." See TWEAK
and TWIDDLE. Usage: FROB, TWIDDLE, and TWEAK sometimes connote points
along a continuum. FROB connotes aimless manipulation; TWIDDLE connotes
gross manipulation, often a coarse search for a proper setting; TWEAK
connotes fine-tuning. If someone is turning a knob on an oscilloscope,
then if he's carefully adjusting it he is probably tweaking it; if he is
just turning it but looking at the screen he is probably twiddling it; but
if he's just doing it because turning a knob is fun, he's frobbing it.
gggg gggg
2021-07-20 22:38:18 UTC
https://www.gq.com/story/escape-from-new-york-40-kurt-russell-john-carpenter-grim-future