Inside Llewyn Davis ( 2013 )
2020-01-11 01:25:00 UTC
Of all the over - rated critics' darling films I've seen this may be the winner/loser.
Actually took a few minutes to scan some critiques of this mess to see if I could find if other viewers caught story points I missed...nope, just a bunch of pseudo intellectual blather, some of the pieces did not even make mention of the cats.
Hard to believe the Cohen brothers who wrote the subtle, witty, funny and outside the box No Country for Old Men penned this.
Story : Llewyn is a unsuccessful folk singer/writer in the Village folk scene of the early 60's.
For those not around then in the period after the death of rock and roll and before the British invasion folk music was the number one choice of young people.
Never has a duller scenario been written than to follow Davis from Manhattan to Chicagoand back in his attempt to make enough money to stay afloat. He's always going from place to place to crash for a few days.
Really tough to stay with the film as it sucks long and hard character wise.
Two or three cats are in the film and their presence kept me involved 'till the end. Just why they are there is anybody's guess. In the past few years I've gotten better at picking up subtle meanings in events depicted on the screen...I had viewed this film some time ago so I was ready to try to put everything together. Last time around don't think I made it all the way through. This time I stuck with it but came up snake eyes.
There are those who see the cats as representative of Llewyn's prior relationship with his singing partner...not from my POV.
One thing is certain the cats are the focus of attention in the camera's eye and for me the only area of interest in the story which seems to be a closed time loop bringing Mr. llewyn Davis from A to point A ...perhaps that represents a life that is going anywhere ( not my theory but did not see anything that suggests this could be so ).
The visual use of the cats is very strong but only from what is obvious on screen, did not pick up anything metaphysical.
There had to be an underlying meaning to the congruent use of cats and man but whatever it is it failed big time. Cats get a 10/10 for the strength of their presence, film is a 2/10 with the 2 due to the felines, otherwise it's 0/10 catastrophes
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-11 12:55:49 UTC
[...]
Film was not accurate to real life either. Cats will not allow themselves to be held or carried. Father was in a nursing home but daughter seemed to expect proceeds from sale of his house to go to estate...money would go to nusing home.
Did not like the lead's just leaving a cat in a car. He had a shoulder bag. How anyone could like what is a story of futility and boring characters is weird. The girl was a bitch,. TRying to make a go out of what you want to do in life is admirable and failure can be of great interest to view from a distance but this project is a boring as the early 60's look of the village. Back then the downtown part of Manhattan was cheap if shabby. Did not like anything but the cats and one or two of them came to a bad end.
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-20 00:36:10 UTC
[...]
"This Week in Zoophilia Movie Reviews"
poster is as much interest as cold calls
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-22 19:25:50 UTC
[...]
I just read a critique that makes an attempt to explain what's going on. The opening scene is in his view just there to be there as the rest on the film takes plce before the opening scene happened and concludes with the same lat scene...mmakes sense but what's the purpose ? Reviewer then goes on to document how Davis' life is full of bad moves...but there is not any reason he should be having these problems as he certainly tries to succeed Tho it's not mentioned
the cats can be seen as a part of Davis' mishandling of anything and everything (my continuation of the critic's other ideas). ...... Assuming this was the filmakers' intent the pieces don't fit together in any psychological flow or structure. Just a bad movie cineasts see as more than it is.