THE THIRD MAN is back
Add Reply
Bill Anderson
2015-05-17 12:45:58 UTC
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?

http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty sure he meant "ineffable" Favog
moviePig
2015-05-17 13:38:54 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
It's okay, nobody will believe someone who writes of "Joseph Cotton"...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
trotsky
2015-05-17 23:51:11 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
It's okay, nobody will believe someone who writes of "Joseph Cotton"...
Ironically, though, there are many that could easily say zither music is
hard to swallow.
Manfred Polak
2015-05-18 12:42:14 UTC
Post by trotsky
Ironically, though, there are many that could easily say zither music is
hard to swallow.
Zither music can be hard to swallow sometimes, just as music with any
other instruments.

But Anton Karas is easy to swallow and digest.

Manfred
tomcervo
2015-05-18 13:54:54 UTC
Back then you couldn't be sure if he was going to be a Colonel Haki or the fulcrum of the plot. And by the time shows up, you may have forgotten he was in the credits. Cotten was a much bigger star.
m***@gmail.com
2015-05-18 14:35:21 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
--
Restored again?! How many times are they gonna restore this film? I'm sure I saw a restored version over ten years ago at the Film Forum.

The only restored version I want to see now is one without that Goddamned zither music. Jeez, talk about chalk screeching on a blackboard. Where was Bernie Herrmann when they needed him?
Bill Steele
2015-05-18 20:39:23 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
--
Restored again?! How many times are they gonna restore this film? I'm sure I saw a restored version over ten years ago at the Film Forum.
The only restored version I want to see now is one without that Goddamned zither music. Jeez, talk about chalk screeching on a blackboard. Where was Bernie Herrmann when they needed him?
The zither music was widely played on the radio when the film was first
released, and because it was so different from what people were used to
it got a lot of attention, and that helped get people into theaters. In
the film, it helped to remind the audience that they were in a strange
and different country. Think of it like the elecronic music in Forbidden
Planet.

Joseph Cotten was of course one of Welles' stable of favorite actors.
He was in Citizen Kane and Magnificent Ambersons, and had a cameo in
Touch of Evil. Probably safe to say he was a bigger star than Welles
because Welles made him one.
m***@gmail.com
Joseph Cotten was in a wheelchair in the "modern" scenes of CITIZEN KANE. He's in a wheelchair in Mario Bava's BARON BLOOD in the scenes where he's his normal self and not "Baron Blood." I saw BARON BLOOD on a double bill with THE THING WITH TWO HEADS, which followed a matinee showing of THE SECRET GARDEN (1949). That was on July 21, 1972. Exactly a year later I saw CITIZEN KANE on a double bill with GRAND ILLUSION. On the subway home, I read in the newspaper that Bruce Lee had died.
Manfred Polak
2015-05-18 23:44:07 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
Joseph Cotten was of course one of Welles' stable of favorite actors.
He was in Citizen Kane and Magnificent Ambersons, and had a cameo in
Touch of Evil.
And he was in Welles' early unfinished effort "Too Much Johnson",
which resurfaced a few years ago. Legal download and streaming in
good quality:

http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/too-much-johnson-reimagined
http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/too-much-johnson-work-print

Manfred
poisoned rose
Also was on TCM just recently...I recorded it but haven't watched yet.
n***@gmail.com
But as desperate as he was to pay his bills by taking any acting job that came along, Welles was never in anything as dismal as Lady Frankenstein.
gggg gggg
http://moviemezzanine.com/screen-writing-the-third-man/
gggg gggg
2021-08-09 03:25:37 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
--
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty sure he meant "ineffable" Favog
(Recent Youtube upload):

THE THIRD MAN (1949) - A Film Noir Masterwork
gggg gggg

Eddie Muller's intro to "The Third Man" (1949) on TCM Noir Alley
gggg gggg
2021-09-01 18:29:16 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by gggg gggg
Post by Bill Anderson
The writer admires the film, and while I wouldn't take too much
convincing, he's made me enthusiastic about the restoration. I do wonder
about that "inedible" zither, though. And Pig, I'm reminded that when
it comes to avoiding spoilers in a review, this movie presents a more
difficult task than THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean, isn't it a total giveaway
merely to learn in advance that Orson Welles is in the movie?
http://news.yahoo.com/restored-third-man-emerges-again-shadows-102524239.html
--
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty sure he meant "ineffable" Favog
THE THIRD MAN (1949) - A Film Noir Masterwork
Eddie Muller's intro to "The Third Man" (1949) on TCM Noir Alley
(Youtube upload):

The Third Man - Analysis