Directors Who Were Also Composers
Mike Stillman
2004-12-27 18:31:59 UTC
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
Hicks
2004-12-27 19:15:58 UTC
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
John Carpenter
Mike Figgis
Alejandro Amenabar
a***@payroll.nyc.gov
2004-12-27 20:01:28 UTC
Post by Hicks
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
John Carpenter
Mike Figgis
Alejandro Amenabar
Victor Schertzinger.

Allan Rogg
luminos
Alejandro Amenabar
Chester Barzal
2004-12-27 19:30:38 UTC
Mike Stillman wrote in message ...
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
--------------------------
Correct me if I'm wrong but did not Charlie Chaplin compose the music in
CITY LIGHTS?Or am I thinking of MODERN TIMES?
Stephen Cooke
2004-12-27 19:54:55 UTC
Post by Chester Barzal
Correct me if I'm wrong but did not Charlie Chaplin compose the music in
CITY LIGHTS?Or am I thinking of MODERN TIMES?
You are correct on both counts. Chaplin wasn't a musician per se (although
there are recordings of him conducting an orchestra) but he did have a
gift for melody, and would hum the tunes in his head to an orchestrator
(like David Raksin) who'd arrange them for him.

swac
Mike Stillman
2004-12-27 20:28:46 UTC
:
: You are correct on both counts. Chaplin wasn't a musician per se (although
: there are recordings of him conducting an orchestra) but he did have a
: gift for melody, and would hum the tunes in his head to an orchestrator
: (like David Raksin) who'd arrange them for him.

Chaplin's song "Smile" is a standard of sorts. I saw the Sun Ra Arkestra
perform the song several times in the '70s and '80s.
Jack Lefton
2004-12-28 00:26:04 UTC
Post by Mike Stillman
Chaplin's song "Smile" is a standard of sorts. I saw the Sun Ra Arkestra
perform the song several times in the '70s and '80s.
They stopped doing it in the late 80' when June Tyson started having trouble
hitting the high notes in the phrase "Smile, what's the use of crying".
Sonja
2004-12-27 19:37:27 UTC
Alexandre Amenabar and John Carpenter.

Sonja

director/composers?
Stephen Cooke
2004-12-27 20:41:07 UTC
Christopher Guest

Robert Rodriguez

Paul McCartney (I'm not saying Give My Regards to Broad Street is a *good*
film, mind you)

John Cougar Mellencamp (Falling From Grace had its moments)

Liam Lynch

Melvin Van Peebles

swac
John Harkness
2004-12-27 19:57:00 UTC
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:31:59 +0000 (UTC), Mike Stillman
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
Clint Eastwood's scored two of his own films.

John Harkness
Tom Sutpen
2004-12-28 16:19:42 UTC
Post by John Harkness
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
Clint Eastwood's scored two of his own films.
*****
One thing I've wondered about that (perhaps you know the answer): Does
Eastwood actually compose these scores in the sense of putting dots on paper,
or is it closer to the Irving Berlin/Charles Chaplin method where he's feeding
melodies to an orchestrator?

Tom Sutpen

"Cinema is Truth, 24 Times a Second"
-- Jean-Luc Godard

The Truth is 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy; a terrible, terrible
lie that someone gave the people long ago.
-- Lenny Bruce

http://tsutpen.blogspot.com
John Harkness
2004-12-28 16:36:15 UTC
Post by Tom Sutpen
Post by John Harkness
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
Clint Eastwood's scored two of his own films.
*****
One thing I've wondered about that (perhaps you know the answer): Does
Eastwood actually compose these scores in the sense of putting dots on paper,
or is it closer to the Irving Berlin/Charles Chaplin method where he's feeding
melodies to an orchestrator?
Tom Sutpen
Lennie Neuhaus gets credit as arranger on Mystic River -- and he and
Eastwood have a long term relationship. Of course, Mystic River is the
"biggest" Eastwood score -- most of Million Dollar Baby is just piano,
and Eastwood is a pretty fair piano player.

John Harkness
Tom Cervo
2004-12-30 00:48:28 UTC
Charlie Chaplin
Preston Sturges
CleV
Mike Figgis
luminos
2004-12-27 21:20:57 UTC
Copolla (at least IMBD claims that for Apocalypse).
director/composers?
luminos
2004-12-27 21:22:27 UTC
Mae West
director/composers?
h***@brazee.net
Well, Charlie Chaplin has composed and directed.
Jim
Hal Hartley
Tranquility Base
Dario Argento
Bob Tiernan
2004-12-31 19:44:45 UTC
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed
their own scores
Chaplin.

Bob T
EGTea
Clint Eastwood
Thomas Muething
2005-01-10 19:35:30 UTC
Post by Mike Stillman
I was trying to think of directors who also composed their own scores, and
I could only think of two: Satyajit Ray and Vincent Gallo (who are usually
not mentioned in close juxtaposition). Can anyone else think of any
director/composers?
Frank LaLoggia. Well, on "Lady in White" anyway.

Thomas
George Shelps
2005-01-11 00:06:25 UTC
Here's an obscure one, Victor Schertzinger, who directed the
early Hope/Crosby "Road" pictures.
Mike Combs
2005-01-11 18:59:47 UTC
--