The Graduate (1967)
Add Reply
John Doe
2011-02-12 02:59:21 UTC
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
GM
2011-02-12 03:07:51 UTC
Yes, I think it was supposed to be. As in, "Now what?"
Movie Buff
2011-02-12 13:01:42 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
Meant to be.
I watched this on TCM yesterday for the first time in years.
It seemed dated and stale to me.
tomcervo
2011-02-12 14:31:52 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
Meant to be.
I watched this on TCM yesterday for the first time in years.
It seemed dated and stale to me.
It's Anne Bancroft and the Kids Are Alright. But when she leaves the
picture, there's a lot of rushing around and jokes to hide the fact
that the life is gone with her. The last shots of Bancroft as a
harridan are cheap and manipulative. If Hoffman had run out of the
church with HER, we'd almost have a French movie, one as sophisticated
as the present one thinks it is.
keeno
2011-02-12 19:33:54 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
Meant to be.
I watched this on TCM yesterday for the first time in years.
It seemed dated and stale to me.
It does. Spoofing contemporary values is a delicate matter requiring
an oh-so-delicate touch. And they can't be just any values. Or maybe
best not to spoof values at all, whatever they are.
Movie Buff
2011-02-12 19:49:18 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
Meant to be.
I watched this on TCM yesterday for the first time in years.
It seemed dated and stale to me.
It does. Spoofing contemporary values is a delicate matter requiring
an oh-so-delicate touch. And they can't be just any values. Or maybe
best not to spoof values at all, whatever they are.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

I was a teenager in college when "The Graduate" was released and liked it better
then.
The "spoof" now seems heavy-handed and trite and many of the acting performances
by secondary characters are not good.
I can relate to movies with a 60's zeitgeist, having lived thru the era but
many, if not most, of them do not translate well into today's sensibilities and
tastes.
tomcervo
2011-02-13 03:05:22 UTC
Post by keeno
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
[...]
There was a bit in the old National Lampoon showing Ben Braddock 20
years on and 30 pounds heavier, screaming into a telephone that he
doesn't give a damn if the babyclothes aren't fire retardant, he's not
going to eat 80 gross of them. That wouldn't be funny without the
crassness of the original.
keeno
That is very noticeable in many of those pictures.
keeno
2011-02-13 04:30:20 UTC
Post by keeno
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
Meant to be.
I watched this on TCM yesterday for the first time in years.
It seemed dated and stale to me.
It does. Spoofing contemporary values is a delicate matter requiring
an oh-so-delicate touch. And they can't be just any values. Or maybe
best not to spoof values at all, whatever they are.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
===
Post by keeno
I was a teenager in college when "The Graduate" was released and liked it better
then.
The "spoof" now seems heavy-handed and trite and many of the acting performances
by secondary characters are not good.
I can relate to movies with a 60's zeitgeist, having lived thru the era but
many, if not most, of them do not translate well into today's sensibilities and
tastes.
Additional comment: There is a warm feeling I get sitting in a
repertory house watching an Italian neo-realist film that I just don't
get watching a "cutting edge" sixties movie, or even seventies film
like McCabe and Mrs. Miller. It probably comes down to heart. That is:
violate conventions, spoof values, smash totems, but--Durante-like--
leave 'em with heart. Maybe this is why The Apartment endures,
whereas, Mad Men (I know it's TV), which looks at the same people,
same hypocrisy, will not.
william
2011-02-13 04:52:03 UTC
Post by keeno
Additional comment: There is a warm feeling I get sitting in a
repertory house watching an Italian neo-realist film that I just don't
get watching a "cutting edge" sixties movie, or even seventies film
violate conventions, spoof values, smash totems, but--Durante-like--
leave 'em with heart. Maybe this is why The Apartment endures,
whereas, Mad Men (I know it's TV), which looks at the same people,
same hypocrisy, will not.
I love the Italian neo-realists and I agree completely. Damn, those
were some fine films made with little except ideas and, as you say,
heart. "The Graduate" is a heartless rip-off of someone else's work.
Funny, how all the DVDs of it are made of one word: Plastic.

William
keeno
2011-02-13 05:12:31 UTC
Post by william
I love the Italian neo-realists and I agree completely. Damn, those
were some fine films made with little except ideas
You said it: ideas. Those folks were also so tight. They went back and
forth between each other's film, acting, directing, writing.
Mastroianni's brother was cutting many of them. Suso Cecchi d'Amico's
name appears on almost every film of the period (slight exaggeration,
but only slight). Bertolluci would help Leone with Once Upon a Time
before going on to do his own pictures. The first thing a person sees
upon entering Cine Citta is a little espresso bar with an ancient man
in bowtie who everybody knows making the coffee. Old and young,
directors and drivers, they all have one foot on the brass rail and
enjoy thier coffee together, kibbitzing, while the old man behind the
bar steams up a fresh pitcher of milk. That must have had an effect.
--
Post by william
made of one word: Plastic.
Got that right. DVDs are plastic. And the crazy thing is that the old
man that everyone made fun of was right on the money. Benjy could
have done a lot worse than to go into plastics at that time. That was
the dawn of an incredibly creative plastics era, the Jack Welch era,
that led to all sorts of interesting composite materials of steel-like
strength that are also light weight. Buck and Mike can titter if they
want to, but the breakthroughs in plastics have been extraordinary and
not written about nearly enough, both strength-wise and aesthetically.
William
gggg gggg
2021-06-27 05:20:44 UTC
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
I was a teenager in college when "The Graduate" was released and liked it better
then.
The "spoof" now seems heavy-handed and trite and many of the acting performances
by secondary characters are not good.
I can relate to movies with a 60's zeitgeist, having lived thru the era but
many, if not most, of them do not translate well into today's sensibilities and
tastes.
Additional comment: There is a warm feeling I get sitting in a
repertory house watching an Italian neo-realist film that I just don't
get watching a "cutting edge" sixties movie, or even seventies film
like McCabe and Mrs. Miller...
(Recent article on McCabe...):

https://www.headstuff.org/entertainment/film/mccabe-and-mrs-miller-50th-anniversary/
super70s
2021-06-27 09:04:39 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
I was a teenager in college when "The Graduate" was released and liked it
better then.
The "spoof" now seems heavy-handed and trite and many of the acting
performances by secondary characters are not good.
I can relate to movies with a 60's zeitgeist, having lived thru the era
but many, if not most, of them do not translate well into today's
sensibilities and tastes.
Additional comment: There is a warm feeling I get sitting in a
repertory house watching an Italian neo-realist film that I just don't
get watching a "cutting edge" sixties movie, or even seventies film
like McCabe and Mrs. Miller...
https://www.headstuff.org/entertainment/film/mccabe-and-mrs-miller-
50th-anniversary/
Why didn't you let this thread die a deserved death, any movie made in
1967 is going to seem "dated and stale," even in 1977 let alone 2011 and
2021.
moviePig
It's like laughing at your grandmother twerking...
Adam H. Kerman
2021-06-27 17:38:55 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by gggg gggg
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
[...]
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread is a troll. He's just shilling Web
sites. He isn't posting his own opinions or point of view to Usenet
ever, so who needs this crap?

Lately, the only participation in this group has been to tell him off,
maybe for the last couple of years.
super70s
2021-06-28 07:53:42 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by super70s
Post by gggg gggg
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
[...]
I probably should have said "any contemporaneous movie made in
1967....", I think Bonnie and Clyde is one of those timeless films that
wouldn't seem dated if it was released today.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-06-28 15:31:20 UTC
Post by super70s
. . .
I probably should have said "any contemporaneous movie made in
1967....", I think Bonnie and Clyde is one of those timeless films that
wouldn't seem dated if it was released today.
If anyone cares, I don't think The Graduate is dated. Hollywood
continues to make movies in which the main character is a slacker in
some way, even a college grad or completed grad school, and just hasn't
gone into the profession he trained for. I think this will remain a
theme for a long time to come. That the younger generation and the
previous generation don't understand each other isn't going away either.

What I enjoy about The Graduate makes those moments timeless, and what I
don't enjoy about The Graduate isn't because it's a product of its time.
The main trapped character, Mrs. Robinson, married Mr. Robinson because
he knocked her up (and she never did anything with her art history
major). In a later era, she could have gotten an abortion in parts of
the country more readily and more safely, but as she herself was a main
character in that movie from the previous generation, that aspect of the
backstory doesn't date the movie.

Nah. I'm usually sympathetic to Mrs. Robinson. Benjamin still left his
lover, as the song says, although leaving her for her daughter is far
less typical.

Also, why is Benjamin in love with Elaine? Yeah, she looks like
Katharine Ross. Benjamin's only motivation is "Because you were my
lover, you aren't good enough for her."

The movie ends escaping from her wedding and the life her parents wanted
for her. That's happiness? She flees with unmotivated Benjamin, and
quite frankly, she's not the least bit motivated herself. Are they in
love? Are they going to make it work? Are they going to bother to try?
Are they going to starve?

It's hard to imagine a positive future for them.

I'm sure I said all of this 10 years ago.
Mack A. Damia
2021-09-11 20:59:51 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 02:53:42 -0500, super70s
Post by super70s
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by super70s
Post by gggg gggg
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
Post by keeno
[...]
Watched this on TCM the other day. It is a timeless film and presents
a good representation of affluent suburban life in the 1960s.

Groundbreaking film. Hoffman's breakthrough along with Simon and
Garfunkel. "The Sounds of Silence" was somewhat of a flop before the
film was released.
gggg gggg
2021-06-27 16:48:34 UTC
Post by keeno
Post by Movie Buff
Post by John Doe
[...]
(Recent Youtube upload):

Movies That Don't Age Well
Dennis M
2011-02-15 03:09:54 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
It seemed dated and stale to me.
Name some 44-year-old movies that don't seem dated and stale to you. The
Graduate is great and timeless.
Flasherly
2011-02-12 20:03:12 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
The strip club. Irresolute attempts to chase the daughter down. The
hotel room. Tenuous states of normalcy during the initial affair.
For one poor jerk-off, I'd agree it wouldn't necessarily be misplaced
were he deserving some greater overall end. But, at least it's
consistent.
Clifford Blau
2011-02-15 01:26:09 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
I remember the Mad magazine parody; Elaine starts nagging Ben on the
bus, and he says, "Oh, mother." She asks, "We're not married 10
minutes, and already you miss your mother?" "No," he replies, "I miss
your mother."

Happy Grover Cleveland Day: February 22 and 24!
gggg gggg
2021-07-11 23:06:38 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
(Youtube upload):

The Graduate - What To Watch Before You Die
gggg gggg
2021-07-18 05:05:13 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
(New Nichols bio):

- The following year The Graduate—written by Buck Henry, who would become a regular Nichols collaborator and life-long friend— shattered the remnants of the PCA. It did so with a handful of other pictures released in 1967, including Point Blank (John Boorman) and Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn). These character-driven, European influenced features included violence and sexuality, and, most significantly, moral ambiguity. Films with these elements would not have been able to find distribution in mainstream theaters just a few years prior. The very subject matter of The Graduate would have been deemed “un-filmable” by the PCA. Indeed, the possibilities of U.S. cinema were transformed by the commercial success of films such as Virginia Woolf and The Graduate.

http://bostonreview.net/arts-society/jonathan-kirshner-mike-nichols-and-american-century
wlah...@gmail.com
What you really mean is Blow-Up, A Taste of Honey, and other foreign films that signaled the end of the Hays Code. Keep dreaming that the gutless Hollywood directors did anything.
gggg gggg
2021-07-29 06:43:29 UTC
Post by John Doe
Shown on Time Warner Classics tonight. Great movie, but was the end
awkward?
When you think of FIGHT CLUB, does THE GRADUATE come to mind?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club#Themes
gggg gggg
2021-09-06 19:03:26 UTC
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1968/07/27/the-graduate