Soylent Green
Movie Buff
2011-03-12 14:54:53 UTC
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's over-the-top
performance.
Eddie G. turned in a great performance as Sol Roth in his final screen role.
Set in a 2022 dystopian NYC, where everyone wears ugly clothes and mill around
aimlessly, Heston must find out who murdered big shot Joseph Cotten.
Heston finds out more than he bargained for as he follows the trail, abetted by
this "book" Eddie G.
Nice post production touches like making the outdoor scenes seem heavily
polluted add to the oppressive atmosphere that pervades this film.
The DVD features some bonus extras including commentary by the director and the
digital transfer is excellent.
Highly recommended.
Halmyre
2011-03-12 16:46:07 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Set in a 2022 dystopian NYC, where everyone wears ugly clothes and mill around
aimlessly,
...must...resist...

Halmyre
Flasherly
2011-03-12 17:15:40 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's over-the-top
performance.
Truly over the top. After Ben Hur and The Greatest Story Ever
Told. ...Anticlimactic, drifting and wandering, narrative bit pieces,
FEMA and NRA spokesperson, and teevee. Well, almost. Completely over
the top occurs at dissolution on the ninth remake of Planet of the
Apes. So, I like Soylent Green as much because he and Emanuel
Goldenberg, Saul, are actually good friends at the time when they
whimsically decide to try and make something out of SG. Perhaps less
dated than I am Legend.
Joe Snodgrass
2011-03-14 00:16:21 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's over-the-top
performance.
Truly over the top.  After Ben Hur and The Greatest Story Ever
Told.  ...Anticlimactic, drifting and wandering, narrative bit pieces,
FEMA and NRA spokesperson, and teevee. Well, almost.  Completely over
the top occurs at dissolution on the ninth remake of Planet of the
Apes.  So, I like Soylent Green as much because he and Emanuel
Goldenberg, Saul, are actually good friends at the time when they
whimsically decide to try and make something out of SG.   Perhaps less
dated than I am Legend.
Hey, I just had a great idea. You should write an entire book in your
unique style of one long rambling sentence. Choose any topic you
want, and warm up for the task by writing ten page essays. The
critics will worship you.
Flasherly
2011-03-14 07:32:26 UTC
Post by Joe Snodgrass
Hey, I just had a great idea. You should write an entire book in your
unique style of one long rambling sentence. Choose any topic you
want, and warm up for the task by writing ten page essays. The
critics will worship you.
OK. Since the topic is to be a critical premise, that every critic, de
facto, loves freely to piss upon his favorite lamppost, whereupon I
should differ you to essay how best we manage passage through dark
alleys of exhaustive criticism;- Apparent to seeing a course, in so
many words, or few, as you please, if only then you do promise to hold
my hand through the precipitous passage. They'll think finely enough
of me for your disciple, oh, master.
unklbob
Oh, snap!
Flasherly
2011-03-14 16:13:26 UTC
Post by unklbob
Oh, snap!
Something I recalled from a French impressionist painter - the
hunchback whose range included the racetrack to whores he patronized -
who said, a critic is a lamppost to be pissed upon. The lampposts
stuck as unsettling to me, as if intended, a compromise on the double-
entendre.
Mark
Go stick your head in an oven, you winded gasbag.
Joe Snodgrass
2011-03-15 19:40:23 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Hey, I just had a great idea.  You should write an entire book in your
unique style of one long rambling sentence.  Choose any topic you
want, and warm up for the task by writing ten page essays.  The
critics will worship you.
OK. Since the topic is to be a critical premise, that every critic, de
facto, loves freely to piss upon his favorite lamppost, whereupon I
should differ you to essay how best we manage passage through dark
alleys of exhaustive criticism;- Apparent to seeing a course, in so
many words, or few, as you please, if only then you do promise to hold
my hand through the precipitous passage.  They'll think finely enough
of me for your disciple, oh, master.
That was not sarcasm. That was serious. Critics seem to love
abstruse and indecipherable writing styles, like where a guy writes a
whole novel about the last second of thoughts of someone who is just
about to die.

Have you read The Sound and the Fury? How about Naked Lunch? They're
totally bizarre, but the critics seem to think they're important. I'm
seriously suggesting that you can make some money off your
idiosyncracy.

Whether the average reader agrees with critics is another matter, but
I'll bet you $50 that if you do it, you'll become a famous writer, at
least for your first work. How long can you keep it up? Can you
produce a single sentence that's 350 pages long? What topic would you
choose?
El Klauso
2011-03-16 22:49:51 UTC
Back to "SG."
Evidently, Heston and Robinson were the original Taylor/Dr. Zaius
choices for "Planet of the Apes," but Eddie G. apparently couldn't
handle the prospect of all that make-up for an entire shoot. Hence
their somewhat delated pairing in "SG," and hence the wonderful fade-
out on Robinson's career.
I remember the critical reaction at the time of the film's release
often condemning the bleak, dystopian mood of the property. From the
vantage point of the present day, it doesn't seem nearly bleak enough.
El Klauso
2011-03-16 22:54:23 UTC
Post by El Klauso
Back to "SG."
Evidently, Heston and Robinson were the original Taylor/Dr. Zaius
choices for "Planet of the Apes," but Eddie G. apparently couldn't
handle the prospect of all that make-up for an entire shoot. Hence
their somewhat delated pairing in "SG," and hence the wonderful fade-
out on Robinson's career.
I remember the critical reaction at the time of the film's release
often condemning the bleak, dystopian mood of the property. From the
vantage point of the present day, it doesn't seem nearly bleak enough.
Please read "belated" - although "delated" sounds somehow more high-
tech.
Flasherly
2011-03-17 00:34:12 UTC
Post by El Klauso
I remember the critical reaction at the time of the film's release
often condemning the bleak, dystopian mood of the property. From the
vantage point of the present day, it doesn't seem nearly bleak enough.
Just a few rough spots, I'm sure, to patch over from Greenspan's FED
tenure and visions for a smoothly-oiled machine of world capitalism.

--
Food production increases, at 1 to 2 percent per year, is not at
parity with world population increases of 4%;- nor, "as long as food
-wiki, 2007–2008 world food price crisis
Flasherly
2011-03-16 22:56:19 UTC
Post by Joe Snodgrass
How long can you keep it up? Can you
produce a single sentence that's 350 pages long? What topic would you
choose?
Seriously, all night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283096/
Joe Snodgrass
2011-03-17 23:47:17 UTC
Post by Flasherly
How long can you keep it up?  Can you
produce a single sentence that's 350 pages long?  What topic would you
choose?
Seriously, all night.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283096/
You should do it; stream of consciousness is BIG! All you've got to
do is crank out 350 pages of random thoughts, and the critics will
rave about you. People will pay a small fortune to read it, and
philosophers will start a new school of thought in your honor. People
love that stuff; they lap it up; it's a license to print money.
Kingo Gondo
2011-03-13 17:10:18 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's
over-the-top performance.
Eddie G. turned in a great performance as Sol Roth in his final screen role.
Set in a 2022 dystopian NYC, where everyone wears ugly clothes and mill
around aimlessly, Heston must find out who murdered big shot Joseph
Cotten.
Heston finds out more than he bargained for as he follows the trail,
abetted by this "book" Eddie G.
Nice post production touches like making the outdoor scenes seem heavily
polluted add to the oppressive atmosphere that pervades this film.
The DVD features some bonus extras including commentary by the director
and the digital transfer is excellent.
Highly recommended.
EGR brings me to tears here. A simply awesome exit for him, that greatly
elevates this film for me from where it might otherwise be. The was a lot of
dystopian sci-fi in that era, and this film might not be the best example
overall, but we'll always have Eddie.
moviePig
2011-03-13 17:30:49 UTC
Post by Kingo Gondo
Post by Movie Buff
[...]
('EGR' might also include Edvard GRieg...)

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
unklbob
2011-03-14 11:58:37 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Kingo Gondo
Post by Movie Buff
[...]
I am thinking exhaust gas recirculation--the dreaded egr valve your
car needs to have replaced.
gggg gggg
2021-07-26 02:42:10 UTC
Post by Movie Buff
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's over-the-top
performance.
Eddie G. turned in a great performance as Sol Roth in his final screen role.
Set in a 2022 dystopian NYC, where everyone wears ugly clothes and mill around
aimlessly, Heston must find out who murdered big shot Joseph Cotten.
Heston finds out more than he bargained for as he follows the trail, abetted by
this "book" Eddie G.
Nice post production touches like making the outdoor scenes seem heavily
polluted add to the oppressive atmosphere that pervades this film.
The DVD features some bonus extras including commentary by the director and the
digital transfer is excellent.
Highly recommended.
Is Soylent G. still relevant?:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/why-soylent-green-is-more-relevant-now-than-ever/
gggg gggg
2021-07-26 02:52:05 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by Movie Buff
Watched this DVD last night.
I really like this movie despite, and maybe because of, Heston's over-the-top
performance.
Eddie G. turned in a great performance as Sol Roth in his final screen role.
Set in a 2022 dystopian NYC, where everyone wears ugly clothes and mill around
aimlessly, Heston must find out who murdered big shot Joseph Cotten.
Heston finds out more than he bargained for as he follows the trail, abetted by
this "book" Eddie G.
Nice post production touches like making the outdoor scenes seem heavily
polluted add to the oppressive atmosphere that pervades this film.
The DVD features some bonus extras including commentary by the director and the
digital transfer is excellent.
Highly recommended.
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/why-soylent-green-is-more-relevant-now-than-ever/
Time to rewatch SOYLENT G.?: