Do you tolerate opinions about favorite films that are different than your own ?
2020-03-16 17:06:24 UTC
The history of this group during the twenty years since I began posting here is pathetic. One of its many faults was a total lack of spirited ( or any ) disagreement on the worth of a film. " I liked it " or " I thought it was dull " has been the specialty of the house. I've always attributed this to laziness and absence of sufficient brain working. In any event opportunities for meaningful psychological combat have not existed in this ng.
Could be movie savvy people think such a waste of time or distasteful.
Differences in " taste " notwithstanding I could not abide a positive review for a film I find to be dull or a negative post about a favorite film and I would feel compelled to respond.
The worst result that could ensue from this approach would be for someone to point out anything that I had missed or misinterpreted which would alter my opinion of a film. Can't recall when this has ever happened...at least with cinema.
Rarely do I read any reviews of any film or TV offering as virtually every one will have multiple problems in analysis.
In general for me a film ( or book ) is a one to one relationship and three's a crowd.
moviePig

I'm wondering who in his right mind you'd hope to engage with that...
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-16 17:30:40 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Some time ago I read a book about " taste " . Other than the author's observation that people will object to negative comments on their sense of taste more than their judgement ( pretty much agree ) I don't recall anything else about the book other than that I found it to be a total disappointment. Maybe I was subconsciously wishing out loud so to speak in casting my net into sterile waters.
As to the " right mind " jab I suppose an agile mind might make something of it . It might take a reasonable effort though. I'm out the door now to do something more practical...walking the terriers.
william ahearn
2020-03-17 01:36:58 UTC
Your abusive and egomaniacal posts would deter anyone from starting a conversation with you. You don't get that?
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-17 02:14:27 UTC
About the only good thing about rampf, outside of my presence here, is the absence of a moderator. Instead God sent William.
william ahearn
2020-03-17 02:32:45 UTC
For what? You asked the question. Otherwise, I ignore your insipid posts. Nice try.
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-17 10:37:53 UTC
Wit served to you is truly pearls before swine. You were dumb before dumb was cool.
william ahearn
2020-03-17 19:54:00 UTC
Wit? All you have is malice. Read the posts here. No one wants to interact with you and you're too dumb to see it.
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-17 20:29:16 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Halmyre
2020-03-17 07:50:53 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
He once admitted to reviewing a film without watching it all the way through. Can you imagine a restaturant critic who leaves halfway through the main course, or a car reviewer who abandons the car shortly after driving it off the forecourt?
Halmyre
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-17 10:31:48 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by moviePig
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
More to the point I did complete the film ( Brukaker ) and slightly modified my take on it as I recall. Just as I reconsider my evaluations of films on later viewings; the only goal is for me to get it right, which I do.
As I've frequently written my opinions are the best anywhere due to my vast film knowledge, good taste and insight. Contributions by others to this group (with one or two exceptions ) are , with one or two exceptions, have the value of cars honking in a traffic jam.
moviePig
2020-03-17 13:21:08 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by moviePig
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
N.B.: That's as solid a troll as one could ever hope to see, pending
only the question of whether you mean it to be.
Stephen DeMay
You people ( members of this group save less than a handful deserve that classification ) should get together some sort of facebook digs and, as the man said, just leave me be.
william ahearn
2020-03-18 02:33:16 UTC
Well, if that don't sum it up. Why don't you play with yourself on Twitter?
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-18 23:50:37 UTC
william ahearn
2020-03-18 23:58:02 UTC
Go fuck yourself.
a***@yahoo.com
2020-03-20 23:32:51 UTC
I realize that there are people who don't like Dr. Strangelove. To each themselves own. It's worth George C. Scott's facial expressions alone ( Kubrick is a genius at that. How does he do it?). Some of the lines ate pretty good,too.