A tremendous new book on evolution and human genetics. The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending
The Star Kin
2009-02-09 05:52:19 UTC
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
steve
2009-02-09 14:29:44 UTC
Post by The Star Kin
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
Im reading this book, now. HIghly recommended for those interested in
anthropology.
--
"You should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you
are so."
W. Shakespeare - from Macbeth
Stone me
2009-02-09 19:10:20 UTC
Post by steve
Post by The Star Kin
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
Im reading this book, now. HIghly recommended for those interested in
anthropology.
--
From a review on Amazon's UK site:

"....Ashkenazi Jews became smarter on average than other Europeans.
(According to the authors, the average IQ of the Ashkenazi Jews is 112,
about three quarters of a standard deviation above the European mean.)"

The question is, does the book supply any scientific data to support the
interpretation that it is a result of evolution rather than a cultural
phenonenum
associated with some minorities.
Some sections of the Asian population expelled from Uganda to England some
years ago are reported to have numbers of children at the top of the
eductional
system.

( I do not intend to buy unless some amazing reviews turn up)

It is the fond dream of non-scientific thought that somehow, in our genes,
there is hidden somewhere a hard wired character, and qualities set, to
explain how some are successful and some not, some criminal, some artistic,
some academic, etc.
The other explanation, mentioned by John Locke, I think, is that babies are
a blank sheet of paper, to be written on by their upbringing. (Tabula rasa)
That's too difficult a concept for some, and too awkward for closed minds.

Stone me.
steve
2009-02-09 19:19:58 UTC
Post by Stone me
"....Ashkenazi Jews became smarter on average than other Europeans.
(According to the authors, the average IQ of the Ashkenazi Jews is 112,
about three quarters of a standard deviation above the European mean.)"
The question is, does the book supply any scientific data to support the
interpretation that it is a result of evolution rather than a cultural
phenonenum
associated with some minorities.
I dont know, as I have just started. But, from a friends description, the
author does deal extensively with the effects of environment and migration
on genetic selection. To ignore cultural differences (beyond thier
contribution to the genetic selection) would be a rather basic error, and
one my friend did not find in the book.

steve
W. Shakespeare - from Macbeth
The Starmaker
2009-02-09 20:18:31 UTC
Post by The Star Kin
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
Oh puleaseee, evolution is just a theory...not a fact.

New books on theories don't prove anything.

You don't really believe we come from monkeys or the ocean do you?
The Sun Tribe
2009-02-09 20:31:49 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Star Kin
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
Oh puleaseee, evolution is just a theory...not a fact.
New books on theories don't prove anything.
You don't really believe we come from monkeys or the ocean do you?
no, apes evolved from man, and apes seem to have no problem with it.
however, the apes freaked out when it's been proven that dogs evolved
from apes.
The Starmaker
2009-02-09 20:49:44 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Star Kin
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/090208_evolution.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%
Oh puleaseee, evolution is just a theory...not a fact.
New books on theories don't prove anything.
You don't really believe we come from monkeys or the ocean do you?
I like to go to the beach just like most people...
I look at what is in the ocean and all I see is a bunch
of fishes...

I don't see any people coming out of the ocean!