LAWRENCE OF ARABIA question
h***@earthlink.net
2005-01-26 14:22:05 UTC
In 'Lawrence of Arabia' there was a scene where Peter O'Toole ventures
into the Turkish held town. Jose Ferrer is the Turkish Bey who
interrogates Peter O'Toole. Ferrer dismisses O'Toole's blond looks by
remarking that he (O'Toole) was a '- - - - - '. I think Ferrer used
the tribal area of 'Essan' or 'Ossian' or something like that
reflecting on the Arabic area that could hold such Nordic-like
features. Anyone know the term he used?
Henry Nicolella
John Dean
2005-01-26 14:34:26 UTC
Post by h***@earthlink.net
In 'Lawrence of Arabia' there was a scene where Peter O'Toole ventures
into the Turkish held town. Jose Ferrer is the Turkish Bey who
interrogates Peter O'Toole. Ferrer dismisses O'Toole's blond looks by
remarking that he (O'Toole) was a '- - - - - '. I think Ferrer used
the tribal area of 'Essan' or 'Ossian' or something like that
reflecting on the Arabic area that could hold such Nordic-like
features. Anyone know the term he used?
Henry Nicolella
Circassian
--
John Dean
Oxford
h***@earthlink.net
2005-01-26 17:48:12 UTC
Thank you!
Henry
Frank R.A.J. Maloney
2005-01-26 20:17:28 UTC
Post by John Dean
Post by h***@earthlink.net
In 'Lawrence of Arabia' there was a scene where Peter O'Toole ventures
into the Turkish held town. Jose Ferrer is the Turkish Bey who
interrogates Peter O'Toole. Ferrer dismisses O'Toole's blond looks by
remarking that he (O'Toole) was a '- - - - - '. I think Ferrer used
the tribal area of 'Essan' or 'Ossian' or something like that
reflecting on the Arabic area that could hold such Nordic-like
features. Anyone know the term he used?
Henry Nicolella
Circassian
The Circassians are a Caucasian people, that is, from the area of the
Caucasus Mountains. They have a reputation of being wild and fierce,
legendary horsemen. My favorite Russian teacher used to go off into long
digressions about his "Circassian lover", but his voice always trailed off
as he got to the good stuff.
--
Frank in Seattle

___________

Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney

"I leave you now in radiant contentment"
-- "Whistling in the Dark"
Your Pal Brian
2005-01-28 01:10:06 UTC
Post by Frank R.A.J. Maloney
Post by John Dean
Post by h***@earthlink.net
In 'Lawrence of Arabia' there was a scene where Peter O'Toole ventures
into the Turkish held town. Jose Ferrer is the Turkish Bey who
interrogates Peter O'Toole. Ferrer dismisses O'Toole's blond looks by
remarking that he (O'Toole) was a '- - - - - '. I think Ferrer used
the tribal area of 'Essan' or 'Ossian' or something like that
reflecting on the Arabic area that could hold such Nordic-like
features. Anyone know the term he used?
Henry Nicolella
Circassian
The Circassians are a Caucasian people, that is, from the area of the
Caucasus Mountains. They have a reputation of being wild and fierce,
legendary horsemen. My favorite Russian teacher used to go off into long
digressions about his "Circassian lover", but his voice always trailed off
as he got to the good stuff.
A quick google reveals that "Circassian Beauties" were a mainstay of 19th
century sideshows and the like:

http://www.missioncreep.com/mundie/gallery/gallery5.htm
http://www.picturehistory.com/find/p/8417/mcms.html

Here's Barnum's Zalumma Agra, the Star of the East, whom Barnum called "the
purest example of the white race":

Dig the 'fro!

And here's the New York Daily Times of 6 August, 1856, wringing its hands over
white slavery and Turkish harems and all that sort of thing:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/lostmuseum/lm/311/

Brian
David
2005-01-28 02:20:48 UTC
Post by Your Pal Brian
A quick google reveals that "Circassian Beauties" were a mainstay of 19th
http://www.missioncreep.com/mundie/gallery/gallery5.htm
http://www.picturehistory.com/find/p/8417/mcms.html
"Moss-haired girls," indeed!