Chin - 9
2020-04-12 19:35:33 UTC
General talk about the beginning of a return to normal ( the NBA is prepared to wait 'till the cows come home and the gov of N J has yet to cancel the school year ) is now reminding me of the initial reaction to the coronavirus , that is , keep on keepin'on .
Cases and deaths in Ny , NJ and Italy appear to have flattened, but at a high level. A failed return to normal will only be bad news to vulnerable individuals. Could well be a matter of I'm OK so what the hey ?
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-13 09:21:18 UTC
General talk about the beginning of a return to normal ( the NBA is prepared to wait 'till the cows come home and the gov of N J has yet to cancel the school year ) is now reminding me of the initial reaction to the coronavirus , that is , keep on keepin'on .
Cases and deaths in Ny , NJ and Italy appear to have flattened, but at a high level. A failed return to normal will only be bad news to vulnerable individuals. Could well be a matter of I'm OK so what the hey ?
My current thoughts about the situation are those that I had origionally. Just let it run with the addition that old, frail people should stay away from everyone if at all possible.
The fake graphs ( fake because they are not on a population under normal conditions ) are starting not to go the way as expected ( tho I doubt the real thoughts of medical people were that the reduction to zero was unlikely ) . The flattening out of new cases is at high levels which makes a return to business as usual a bumpy road.
Any kind of staggered return to normal that includes continuation of the school year or mass gatherings in the next six to eight weeks appears to invite a jump in numbers . THe areas now not having significant rates of infection will probably find the numbers going up much higher if baseball stadiums are open for business.
Everyday life is now a hassle if any number of problems arise as access to businesses is limited. For matters to remain as is this could go on for a very long time.
Since 97 % of people who get the virus are good to go I believe it is just better to let things run and if this virus is like any other herd immunity will take over, that is so many people will gain immunity the virus will have few people it can infect.
Better to have people go to work become mildly ill , infect others who get mildly ill and have this run its course. As things are the present situation might just go on and on.
Mass gatherings and a return to normal living is going to happen soon in all but a few areas, probably better to bite the bullet and really get back to normal a lot sooner.
Sickly people are possibly more likely to get the infection if it is around for a much longer time than if it just burned out. Because the virus is as contagious as it is seems unlikely it will just go away even in the many states that have few cases. Maybe if the entire country had a very lowlevel of infection the possibility of the curve going to zero might be possible but given the situation in the NYC area and other hot spots efforts to squash the curve appear to have little chance of succeeding.
The outlook now seems to be opening up most of the country for business and recreation in a few weeks. If mass gatherings are brought into the picture the numbers are most likely to jump.
China eliminated the virus in maybe an infected area of 50 - 100 million people but that included absolute home quarantine.
People will have to accept that nearly everybody will be infected but only a handful of people will be really ill. Those few vulnerable people should self isolate.
The situation could take a different, more favorable, turn in the next few weeks but the past week seems to not to point in that direction.
I saw a pbs program maybe a year ago on the 1917 - 1918 Spanish flu's effects on the U S. What stood out was the way in which the government muffled reporting of the about 700,000 deaths , the outbreak in general and that after several months the disease just went away and never returned.
Looks as if what's going on nowis a medis frenzy, mass spending ultimately futile effort to avert what eventually occurred about a century ago ...the virus will on its own just go away. A bit absurd for the media to believe an effective virus will be available , " in about a year ", as if there's a time table, all correct schedule for this.
Of course death is not welcome even for most people who were seriously ill before before this began but the big concern, and one you'll rarely see mention of is the possibility of mutation , maybe by using a malaria drug on the virus. Would be a fitting Trumpian addition.
Comments on Trump on Yahoo find few people changing views on him. For those wh do about half are going for him and half against him.Sleepy Joe is no more than a point of absurdity in all of this.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-13 14:20:16 UTC
[...]
If the graphs for NY, NJ and Italy just flatten out at a high level the general public will soon not have any confidence or trust with what comes out of Washington. This sentiment will combine with the growing realization that " I'm " not " at risk " only old people which would cause a " fuck this " attitude to the phony pandemic and a push to get back to normal. Trump will blame the medics for bad advice while conveniently for getting his wonder drug cocktail that did not do much.. The added hospital bed capacity would take the pressure off the spike in critically ill people when the lock downs are taken off. The Pope will wisely keep as low a profile as Sleepy Joe. The idea of lock downs was good in concept , unworkable in practice. As of this point in time my favorite reactions to the virus have been Trump's , " It will all be gone by April ", and NYC mayor DiBlasio telling his city to "go out and have a good time, don't worry about the virus " in early March with Sleepy Joe's, " the travel ban on China is Xenophobic " right behind.
Favorite image is the " Welcome To Chinatown " lunar new year festival display in NYC' s Chinatown. Bloomburg probably feels he's well out of this. His trip to Chin town for a melting pot Chinese dinner is another now absurd memory.
If the graphs remain high flat Trump will have to do his counter punching best to justify opening up the country but economics will certainly prevail.
Governors of NY and NJ will do a soft shoe when it finally comes down to doing what they have to do. Tho I had largely lost interest in the virus in late January when it's non - lethal properties became clear I still considered it odd that a much more restrictive policy on travel was not put in place across the country at international airports. At this point in time it appears that was the ballgame.It's a bad time to be sickly or to try to get things done without hassles. The general public still does not see the big picture ... that the pieces don't fit together.
Stephen DeMay
Voices of optimism along the line of , " the worst is over ", are to be heard today...phony baloney I suspect with much more to come. If there has been a drop in hospitalizations recently I see that as vulnerable people making themselves scarce so that the virus does not get to them. Reality is stabilization is at very high level. The idea of normalization will now be tossed around like a beach ball.
Stephen DeMay
T rump is a cunning con artist. Tweets he has the authority of open a state's economy when that is the province of the states. In that way Trump can take the credit for anything that goes right and blame the states when things go wrong. I would not believe something like this could happen in America,but the briefings are comic relief.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-13 21:25:15 UTC
[...]
Because of restaurant closures many rats are having a very hard time. I have real sympathy for these animals. When the virus first appeared I had thoughts that it might take out mankind . Unfortunately the peoplewho survived would mostly be the most well placed ( the worst ) so that would not work out well.
How many deaths would it take to have a lasting effect on America ? Anything less than maybe 200 million would only be a bump in the road. The economy would reconfigure and back to normal.