Steven Soderbergh's "Heaven's Gate"
tomcervo
2014-04-30 16:42:30 UTC
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut

Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
moviePig
2014-04-30 17:43:15 UTC
Post by tomcervo
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut
Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
I remember HG so poorly that, after 10 minutes of this, not much rings a
bell. I gather that the mere 100 minutes here represent a
starvation-level "tightening". But Soderbergh's always been such a
crisp editor that I wish I could spare the time...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Bill Anderson
2014-04-30 17:51:56 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut
Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
I remember HG so poorly that, after 10 minutes of this, not much rings a
bell. I gather that the mere 100 minutes here represent a
starvation-level "tightening". But Soderbergh's always been such a
crisp editor that I wish I could spare the time...
I skipped to the roller rink scene with the fiddle player who, I semi
halfway think I read, composed the entire score of the film. As best I
could tell, not a single second was cut from that glorious sequence.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
w***@gmail.com
2014-04-30 19:10:06 UTC
I have Kill Bill 1 & 2 on my computer and I'm going to try and edit it down to one two-hour film.
tomcervo
2014-04-30 19:16:35 UTC
David Mansfield--and the track they shot was the track in the movie--no post-production or dubbing.
The cinematography and Mansfield's soundtrack were the only universally praised parts of the film.
That and Huppert's bum.
Mack A. Damia
2014-04-30 20:22:01 UTC
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:51:56 -0500, Bill Anderson
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut
Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
I remember HG so poorly that, after 10 minutes of this, not much rings a
bell. I gather that the mere 100 minutes here represent a
starvation-level "tightening". But Soderbergh's always been such a
crisp editor that I wish I could spare the time...
I skipped to the roller rink scene with the fiddle player who, I semi
halfway think I read, composed the entire score of the film. As best I
could tell, not a single second was cut from that glorious sequence.
My Mexican assistant and I are watching the full movie as I write
this, and she loves it!

I heard that KK did not like the roller skating sequence too much
because he was not a good rollerskater.

That has to be one of the great classic scenes in film history.

Also, the concept of "Line of Dance" in which couples progress around
the room in a counterclockwise direction (generally; certain figures
reverse the usual direction for brief intervals, and their names and
descriptions tend to include mention of the fact). Good example of
this in the film: The opening scene takes place at the graduation
ceremonies at Harvard College (filmed at Oxford University) and the
graduates with their female companions dance on the green to the music
of a Strauss waltz.

bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 20:39:35 UTC
My Mexican assistant and I are watching the full movie as I write this, and
she loves it!
Why did you feel it necessary to give the nationality of your assistant?
It is completely irrelevant and contributes naught to the conversation.
Perhaps you are attempting to show what a good multicultural liberal you are.
Nobody cares...
Mack A. Damia
2014-04-30 21:00:43 UTC
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:39:35 -0400, "bobfinnan.com"
Post by bobfinnan.com
My Mexican assistant and I are watching the full movie as I write this, and
she loves it!
Why did you feel it necessary to give the nationality of your assistant?
It is completely irrelevant and contributes naught to the conversation.
Perhaps you are attempting to show what a good multicultural liberal you are.
Nobody cares...
Fuck off, asshole. I live in Mexico, and if you noticed, the film has
nothing to do with Mexico or Mexicans. I merely pointed it out
because it might be a film that Mexicans cannot identify with.

Go fuck yourself. I am sick and tired of this abuse on Usenet.

w***@gmail.com
2014-04-30 21:02:07 UTC
BTW, that was gaza. All the others -- and you know who they are -- are mere pretenders.
bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 21:32:44 UTC
BTW, that was gaza. ...
Right Willie, everybody that you don't like is the mysterious gaza.
I suppose it boosts your fragile ego to think only one person could not buy into
your delusion of being a knowledgeable cineaste.
Mack A. Damia
2014-04-30 22:10:03 UTC
<*plonk*> the certified loon.

bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 23:10:02 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
<*plonk*> the certified loon.
Ah, the dreaded Mack A. Damia plonk, Would mean a bit more if you hadn't claimed
to have already plonked me the other day.
Poor Mack, the boy who cried plonk...
Mack A. Damia
2014-04-30 22:09:02 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Mack A. Damia
Go fuck yourself. I am sick and tired of this abuse on Usenet.
BTW, that was gaza. All the others -- and you know who they are -- are mere pretenders.
He's a certified idiot. She's proud of her heritage, and I am proud
of her. I told her that she is actually smarter than me because she is
bilingual. I am not and have to scrape by with a few Spanish words.

By our standards she has a grade-school education, but as she likes to
hear from me, "You're a smart cookie!"

bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 23:07:51 UTC
By our standards she has a grade-school education, but as she likes to hear
from me, "You're a smart cookie!"
Oh, because the poor Mexican peon can only be validated by praise from her
pompous, racist gringo boss, right?
bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 21:29:03 UTC
Where do you normally go for abuse?
bobfinnan.com
2014-04-30 21:41:16 UTC
Fuck off, asshole. I live in Mexico, and if you noticed, the film has nothing
to do with Mexico or Mexicans. I merely pointed it out because it might be a
film that Mexicans cannot identify with.
Why? Because your racist soul thinks that Mexicans are intellectual inferiors
who couldn't possibly comprehend a film that "has nothing to do with Mexico or
Mexicans"?
By that logic, Americans couldn't "identify" with Japanese, Chinese, French or
other films, despite the fact that such films have long enjoyed popularity in
the USA.
Americans can presumably "identify" with them to the degree that they are
willing to spend their hard earned money to watch them.
No, no, that simply won't do, Mack.
m***@gmail.com
Well, that's terrible news. That's exactly the sequence I was HOPING would be cut--completely!!
n***@gmail.com
2014-04-30 18:59:57 UTC
I haven't gotten around to seeing Psychos yet. Maybe a double feature is in order.
gggg gggg
2021-03-20 01:06:18 UTC
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/one-hollywood-biggest-flops-ever-190000988.html
Sol L. Siegel
2021-03-20 17:22:35 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by tomcervo
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut
Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/one-hollywood-biggest-flops-ever-190000
988.html
It seems that when Cimino died, in 2016, hardly anyone even noticed.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Mack A. Damia
2021-03-20 22:59:13 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by gggg gggg
Post by tomcervo
http://extension765.com/sdr/16-heavens-gate-the-butchers-cut
Unless you've never had the impulse yourself, for any film, you can't blame him.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/one-hollywood-biggest-flops-ever-190000
988.html
It seems that when Cimino died, in 2016, hardly anyone even noticed.
I enjoyed the film. Good depiction of how brutal life must have been
there and then. Lots of interesting sub-plots and characters for
analysis. The stark difference to the graduates marching at Harvard
yard to the slaughter of "immigrants" in Wyoming. (hint-hint).