All Quiet On The Western Front ( TVM 1979 )
2020-02-08 20:52:22 UTC
Fairly long film is easier to take than the 1930 version. From that one the souped up teacher was memorable but I prefer the more layed back approach to battle presented in this version..less melodramatic. Richard Thomas is acceptable in the lead role, Ernest Borgnine good as the old hand of the platoon. Never felt the participants to be German but the spirit of the situation does come through.
Photographed in a manner not to engender suspense or horror or squalor I still was able to sense the POV of the novel in that wars are something inflicted on the common man.
While never " graphic " there's enough of a sense of death and dying to get its points across. 7-/10 4 more years nots
g***@gmail.com
2020-02-09 04:21:54 UTC
Fairly long film is easier to take than the 1930 version. From that one the souped up teacher was memorable but I prefer the more layed back approach to battle presented in this version..less melodramatic. Richard Thomas is acceptable in the lead role, Ernest Borgnine good as the old hand of the platoon. Never felt the participants to be German but the spirit of the situation does come through.
Photographed in a manner not to engender suspense or horror or squalor I still was able to sense the POV of the novel in that wars are something inflicted on the common man...
- I have been in many countries, and I have found there people examining their own love of life, sense of peril, their own common sense. The one thing they cannot understand is why that same love of life, sense of peril and above all common sense, is not invariably shared among their leaders and rulers.

William Golding

- In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful.

Leo Tolstoy
g***@gmail.com
2020-02-12 05:12:19 UTC
Fairly long film is easier to take than the 1930 version. From that one the souped up teacher was memorable but I prefer the more layed back approach to battle presented in this version..less melodramatic. Richard Thomas is acceptable in the lead role, Ernest Borgnine good as the old hand of the platoon. Never felt the participants to be German but the spirit of the situation does come through.
Photographed in a manner not to engender suspense or horror or squalor I still was able to sense the POV of the novel in that wars are something inflicted on the common man...
The following concludes:

- “For us lads of eighteen,” he observes, “they ought to have been mediators and guides to the world of maturity, the world of work, of duty, of culture, of progress-to the future.”

http://www.novelexplorer.com/all-quiet-on-the-western-front/historical-perspective-3/