Satyajit Ray
w***@gmail.com
2014-12-27 07:00:04 UTC
Hey,

For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
gtr
2014-12-27 07:57:54 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from
the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
Cool! A year or two ago, after having weathered through the entire
fractured grey-and-white remains, I heard that the Apu Trilogy was
being restored. That should be nice, if it is finished in my lifetime.
w***@gmail.com
You're more than welcome, and, yes, you were one of the "both." Happy viewing.
David O.
2014-12-28 19:17:16 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by gtr
Post by w***@gmail.com
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from
the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
Cool! A year or two ago, after having weathered through the entire
fractured grey-and-white remains, I heard that the Apu Trilogy was
being restored. That should be nice, if it is finished in my lifetime.
You're more than welcome, and, yes, you were one of the "both." Happy viewing.
I've been meaning to blog about THE HOME AND THE WORLD (which I love)
for a long time.
Heynonny
2014-12-28 19:32:26 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
For both of you that have heard of this guy
Actually I don't think I know a single film aficionado who hasn't
"heard of" Satyajit Ray.

You probably meant "For both of you who know this guy" and for the
record there are four of us left (and one is feeling poorly).
w***@gmail.com
2014-12-28 19:39:45 UTC
Post by Heynonny
Post by w***@gmail.com
For both of you that have heard of this guy
Actually I don't think I know a single film aficionado who hasn't
"heard of" Satyajit Ray.
And to complicate the simple, you assume the presence of "aficionados" in this forum.
I was being a tad sarcastic. Let's face it, this ain't the place to discuss foreign -- let alone Indian -- films.
poisoned rose
2014-12-29 22:10:33 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from the
Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
Thanks, though you should have added that they're only free for a week!

Of Ray's films, I've only seen The Music Room and Pather Panchali. If
I'm going to squeeze in any of those temporarily free films, I'm most
tempted by Charulata, The Big City or Devi. Hmmm.

Every thread like this ends up between you, me and "gtr."
gggg gggg
2021-06-07 05:42:00 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Hey,
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
(Youtube upload):

South Bank Show- Satyajit Ray Interview (Better Audio)
Poisoned Rose
2021-07-08 12:57:15 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by w***@gmail.com
Hey,
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from
the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
South Bank Show- Satyajit Ray Interview (Better Audio)
I've seen 20 of his films...he's marvelous. The remaining one I want to
see most is "The Home and the World."
Sol L. Siegel
2021-07-10 03:38:36 UTC
Post by Poisoned Rose
I've seen 20 of his films...he's marvelous. The remaining one I want
to see most is "The Home and the World."
An unusually large-scale film for Ray. I recall it as being quite good.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
2021-07-10 05:33:19 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by Poisoned Rose
I've seen 20 of his films...he's marvelous. The remaining one I want
to see most is "The Home and the World."
An unusually large-scale film for Ray. I recall it as being quite good.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Recent article on Ray says this about THE HOME...:

- Ray originally planned for this adaptation of Tagore’s novel Ghare Baire to be his first film, but it’s almost to our benefit that it took until he was in his sixties that he finally managed it. Like Charulata before it, this film is also a love triangle that rests atop more complicated themes. The story takes place in the home of a liberal Maharaja named Nikhil (Victor Banerjee, the same year as his acclaimed performance in A Passage to India) who encourages his wife Bimala (Swatilekha Sengupta) to go against convention and expand her mind politically. His own political agnosticism is put to the test by the arrival of his friend Soumitra Chatterjee, who is leading activists protesting the British plans to partition Bengal and who seduces Bimala to his cause and his side. Nikhil considers himself too wise to subscribe to Sandip’s scorched-earth policy for freeing themselves of British tyranny, and sees the rise in nationalism as a middle-class privilege that will destroy the lives of the poor. The results are devastating in one of Ray’s most challenging but also rewarding dramas, slowly, carefully gleaning intensity from the actor’s superb performances with all the mastery of an artist who is, at this late stage in his career, a genius at his craft.

https://thatshelf.com/the-criterion-shelf-directed-by-satyajit-ray/
gggg gggg
2021-07-11 03:46:32 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Hey,
For both of you that have heard of this guy, numerous films of his from the Criterion Collection are available for free at hulu.com.
(2020 Youtube upload):

Devi (1960)-The Goddess - Full Movie - Satyajit Ray
gggg gggg
2021-07-11 07:12:19 UTC

Best Movies of Satyajit Ray || Top 25 Satyajit Ray Best Movies
gggg gggg
2021-08-02 20:20:31 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Hey,