IMDb Gross versus Budget
John Doe
2021-06-10 21:37:58 UTC
I realize there might not be an easy answer, but...

VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, what is the breakeven point between the Gross and the
Budget numbers?

If there is no answer, fine, but I'm asking anybody who might have a guess.

Thanks.
Hawk
2021-06-11 04:33:48 UTC
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:37:58 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
Post by John Doe
I realize there might not be an easy answer, but...
VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, what is the breakeven point between the Gross and the
Budget numbers?
If there is no answer, fine, but I'm asking anybody who might have a guess.
Thanks.
Approx 50%. If a budget is say 10 mil, the B/O has to be at least 20
mil. This doesn't take into account a lot of things but is close
enough. American movie companies have a greater clout, particularly
with tent-pole movies and so may take around 55% of gross. European
theatres also have more clout than those in the USA so the take there
can be 45%.
The formula (last I heard) was as follows....
1st week the Movie gets 80% of gross and the following week drops to
60% then 40% and then 20% thereafter.
This info may be outdated so don't make bets at the bar.
Cheers
John Doe
2021-06-11 07:26:46 UTC
Post by Hawk
This info may be outdated so don't make bets at the bar.
Any guess is better than mine. And I'm mainly curious.