Scarface ( 1932 )
2017-11-17 02:07:47 UTC
I was raised on Edward G., Bogart and Cagney films but Scarface took a long time to show up on TV.
Paul Muni is a good choice for the just off the boat thug with ambition. His accent is as thick as deep dish lasagna...I could see Pacino picking up on Muni's performance.
Through most of the film Howard Hawks supplies several visual flourishes that add a lot to the story's texture. A young Ann Dvorak, tough mob boss Boris Karloff and comedic bits by Muni's inept male secretary are pluses.
Unfortunately the last act does not play well as Muni turns despondent after one murder too many and his ineffective defense of his " steel fortress " and groveling when cornered by the cops is wrong all the way. I vaguely recall that there was a big to do at the studio about the ending which I guess is there to demean gangster society.
The opening titles make a plea to the government to stop its indifference to machine gun toteing gangsters which is charmingly " period ". Later a newspaper publisher bemoans that the American Legion was not allowed to combat organized crime's threat to American values, that really is stranger than strange. All in all good if not great. 8-/10 rat a tat tats
Stephen DeMay
The choice to make both of Muni's bosses as anything but hard eggs was probably done to add some variety to the story. If everyone is a bulldog Muni is less prominent. Both Muni's sister and the boss's girl are dangerously playful. Don't often see that in a gangster film. Again they add texture. Without the screwed up finale it would have been a 9-/10
gggg gggg
2021-08-15 22:40:34 UTC
[...]
(Recent Youtube upload):

SCARFACE (1983) - Movie Review
John Doe
2021-08-15 22:48:06 UTC
Besides the formatting is botched...

THERE IS NO CONTENT WITH YOUR POST, GOOGLE GROUPS IDIOT!
--
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films