Side Effects ( 2013 )
2020-02-07 02:02:33 UTC
Odd , slick film with Rooney Mara ( The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ) as central character.
Plot is convoluted with this viewer always feeling somewhat involved, but not really.
Early on Mara hardly seems the same actress who was in TGWTDT but about half way through the character turns moody in a dark way and the actress's ability to come across as out of the ordinary is the center of interest.
Jude Law is a psychiatrist pulled into a legal battle that has mara as its center.
THe wrap i is unusual; each character trying to be more underhanded than the others.
Somber tone throughout that never pushed my buttons to cause me to care what was really going to happen.
Adult but lacked suspense or heart. 6/10 pill poppin times
Stephen DeMay
After thinking about the plot which is hard to followI just don't buy what the Mara character did or what followed in the legal arena. So I'm dropping my evaluation to a 3/10 for trying to fool viewers into going alng with a unbelieveable plot.
Stephen DeMay
2020-02-17 21:40:57 UTC
[...]
The film that comes to mind for a comparison is Brainstorm ( 1965 ) which has Jeffrey Hunter pulling the same unlikely scheme as Mra Rooney, The differences are with Brainstorm ( afavorite ) the plan goes badly off track in two ays and the viewer is always just slightly behind the plot. Side Effects manages to have a nearly unbelieveable action followed by a totally bogus court decision followed by another totally fantasy land decision by Mara and another bogus court reaction. The last switcheroo after all of this was another questionable tit for that could only result in backfiring big time...maybe OK if not following a truck load of foolishness before hand. To allow for a good rating would be to accept poor scripting as the new normal.