On the Waterfront(1954)
Add Reply
Stapler
2008-08-31 00:51:07 UTC
Just watched it for the first time. Was blown away by 2 scenes:

* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando

Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Flasherly
2008-08-31 03:02:22 UTC
Post by Stapler
* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando
Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Watching some of Brando and Mutiny on the Bounty last evening. Both
enjoyable, Brando or Gibson. Hadn't noticed the ending, though, that
Brando dies, and don't recall that being course with Mel -- happier, I
suppose, after burning the ship, on a note to disclose the original
crew are ancestral roots to the island population.
mack
2008-08-31 06:46:12 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Post by Stapler
* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando
Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Watching some of Brando and Mutiny on the Bounty last evening. Both
enjoyable, Brando or Gibson. Hadn't noticed the ending, though, that
Brando dies, and don't recall that being course with Mel -- happier, I
suppose, after burning the ship, on a note to disclose the original
crew are ancestral roots to the island population.
Watching Mutiny (1962) last night reminded me once again how marvelous
Bronislau Kaper's score is. Even Rozsa could not have done better.
Flasherly
2008-08-31 12:05:42 UTC
Post by mack
Post by Flasherly
Post by Stapler
* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando
Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Watching some of Brando and Mutiny on the Bounty last evening. Both
enjoyable, Brando or Gibson. Hadn't noticed the ending, though, that
Brando dies, and don't recall that being course with Mel -- happier, I
suppose, after burning the ship, on a note to disclose the original
crew are ancestral roots to the island population.
Watching Mutiny (1962) last night reminded me once again how marvelous
Bronislau Kaper's score is. Even Rozsa could not have done better.
Fleeing the Nazi's and composing for Jewish producers similarly
expatriated in Paris, Lazar Mayer offered him pretty much a life long
contract in Beverly Hills. You know, to the best of my recollection,
I can't remember his theme score to the F.B.I. television series;-
surely, though, it'd come to me in a flash if I ever heard it again.
Good ol' Efrem Zimbalist.

--
Deine Schritte kennt sie, deinen zieren Gang
Alle Abend brennt sie, mich vergass sie lanp
--Das Lied eines jungen Soldaten auf der Wacht
El Klauso
2008-09-03 21:56:36 UTC
Mack: Watching Mutiny (1962) last night reminded me once again how
marvelous
Bronislau Kaper's score is. � Even Rozsa could not have done better.

EK: I wouldn't thump Rozsa to praise him, but Kaper's work in "Mutiny"
is truly outstanding, and helps the film tremendously.
Mike O'Sullivan
2008-08-31 08:20:15 UTC
Post by Stapler
* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando
Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Agreed. I've always liked the cafe scene between Brando & Eva Marie
Saint, after the church intimidation sequence. Mutual incomprehension
between the two.
Stapler
Ah, he was just a wiseguy after all....
Opry phantom
2008-09-02 17:07:58 UTC
Post by Stapler
Post by Mike O'Sullivan
Post by Stapler
* The priest's speech in the pit
* "I couldda been a contender" speech by Brando
Truly wonderful film and now I *get* the Brando-hype.
Agreed. I've always liked the cafe scene between Brando & Eva Marie
Saint, after the church intimidation sequence. Mutual incomprehension
between the two.
Ah, he was just a wiseguy after all....
Based on a *real* priest from (I believe) St. Margaret parish on
lower west side; old Hudson Duster turf. Some big boyos went away
after Shulberg's articles...
g***@gmail.com
2020-03-22 06:04:01 UTC
https://www.seenit.co.uk/marlon-brandos-on-the-waterfront-is-getting-new-blu-ray-release-in-december/