One False Move (US) 1992
william ahearn
2020-02-12 17:47:38 UTC
Hey,

Drug dealers. And down and dirty drug dealers at that. This is a violent film and none of it gratuitous. It had been intended for release to home video but that plan was scrapped when Gene Siskel picked it as his favorite film of 1992. There was also word of mouth that promoted the film.

Or at least, that's the mythology that follows the movie. It begins in Los Angeles where a drug deal goes bad to Houston, Texas where the bad continues to Star City, Arkansas where the lethal present meets the buried past. A credible, criminal reality.

Directed by Carl Franklin from a script by Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Epperson. Cinematography by James L Carter. Starring Billy Bob Thornton, Cynda Williams, Bill Paxton, and Earl Billings, among others.
moviePig
2020-02-12 18:14:52 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Hey,
Drug dealers. And down and dirty drug dealers at that. This is a violent film and none of it gratuitous. It had been intended for release to home video but that plan was scrapped when Gene Siskel picked it as his favorite film of 1992. There was also word of mouth that promoted the film.
Or at least, that's the mythology that follows the movie. It begins in Los Angeles where a drug deal goes bad to Houston, Texas where the bad continues to Star City, Arkansas where the lethal present meets the buried past. A credible, criminal reality.
Directed by Carl Franklin from a script by Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Epperson. Cinematography by James L Carter. Starring Billy Bob Thornton, Cynda Williams, Bill Paxton, and Earl Billings, among others.
Tidbit: I remember one publication's effort, back then, to determine
the "best" movie in a then-current wide sampling of critics' numerical
ratings. ONE FALSE MOVE led all the rest, based on (according to my
eventual interpretation of the methodology) its being the least-hated.
william ahearn
Except, the film has a lot going for it.
moviePig
2020-02-12 19:13:24 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Post by moviePig
Tidbit: I remember one publication's effort, back then, to determine
the "best" movie in a then-current wide sampling of critics' numerical
ratings. ONE FALSE MOVE led all the rest, based on (according to my
eventual interpretation of the methodology) its being the least-hated.
Except, the film has a lot going for it.
Yes. I might've been disappointed only because of expectations. (That
was probably around the time I started avoiding them altogether.)
william ahearn
What disappointed you?
moviePig
2020-02-12 22:13:47 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Post by moviePig
Post by william ahearn
Post by moviePig
Tidbit: I remember one publication's effort, back then, to determine
the "best" movie in a then-current wide sampling of critics' numerical
ratings. ONE FALSE MOVE led all the rest, based on (according to my
eventual interpretation of the methodology) its being the least-hated.
Except, the film has a lot going for it.
Yes. I might've been disappointed only because of expectations. (That
was probably around the time I started avoiding them altogether.)
What disappointed you?
That it was less than the extraordinary undiscovered gem that its
survey-win promised. Sure, I enjoyed it, and, having now forgotten most
of it, would probably enjoy it again. But in that odd situation, I had
naively high semi-expectations.
william ahearn
Such a sad life story more than a movie story.
Sol L. Siegel
2020-02-19 16:16:09 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Hey,
Drug dealers. And down and dirty drug dealers at that. This is a
violent film and none of it gratuitous. It had been intended for
release to home video but that plan was scrapped when Gene Siskel
picked it as his favorite film of 1992. There was also word of mouth
that promoted the film.
Or at least, that's the mythology that follows the movie. It begins in
Los Angeles where a drug deal goes bad to Houston, Texas where the bad
continues to Star City, Arkansas where the lethal present meets the
buried past. A credible, criminal reality.
Directed by Carl Franklin from a script by Billy Bob Thornton and Tom
Epperson. Cinematography by James L Carter. Starring Billy Bob
Thornton, Cynda Williams, Bill Paxton, and Earl Billings, among
others.
Definitely one of my favorite movies of that year. Perhaps of the 1990's.

Paxton also starred in A Simple Plan, another really good, really dark
small film from that decade.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
william ahearn
2020-02-19 19:43:14 UTC

Post by Sol L. Siegel
Paxton also starred in A Simple Plan, another really good, really dark
small film from that decade.
Saw that, too, recently. Wrote it up on FB and didn't here.