Zombie Drama
David O.
2012-09-20 04:55:24 UTC
TV zombie drama reached its high point in the horror-comedy hit TV
series "The Night Stalker" in the mid-1970s. One of the best episodes
was "The Zombie," which combines a scruffy, crusading reporter, a
gangland turf war, and a frightening Haitian corpse that won't stay
put in the cemetery.

Kolchak: "I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing here."

Crime Boss: "Hm."

Kolchak: "Well, I-I-I think, Mr. Possati ..."

Crime Boss: (deliberately, calmly) "Sposatti."

Kolchak: "Sp-sp-sposatti, of course."

Crime Boss: "I remember you. Vittorio, this is the guy that crashed my
daughter's wedding, remember? He took all those pictures!"

Thug: (looks at Kolchak) "Yeah, he's right."

Kolchak: (wide-eyed) "No, no! Horrible mistake. No, you see, you're
thinking of my brother ... uhh, SIDNEY Kolchak. He writes a society
column."

Crime Boss: (laughs) "I remember the two-dollar hat, Kolchak. I got a
memory like a steel trap. I never forget anything. Ask Victor."

Thug: "That's right. Photographic."

Crime Boss: "Mr. Kolchak, ever been to Mercy General Hospital?

Kolchak: (wide-eyed) "No, I ... uhh ... never have."

Crime Boss: "They got a great gastrointestinal man--one of the best in
the Midwest."

Thug: "Vincenze?"

Crime Boss: "Toto Rosetti ... Vittorio, why don't you make an
appointment for Mr. Kolchak with Toto Rosetti, eh?"

Kolchak: "NO!! No-no-no!! Wait Wait!! I can tell you .. I can tell you
who's been knocking your men off! I know! I can give you a NAME."

Crime Boss: (sotto voce) "What."
Kolchak: "He's a Haitian numbers runner by the name of Francois
Edmunds."

Thug: "Why?"

Kolchak: (nervous) "Why? I-I-I don't know why. How do I know why?
Maybe he ... uhhh ... got in Willy Pike's hair? and Willy Pike sent
him through the system and he got knocked off by the Musso brothers?
... I don't know ... maybe?"

Crime Boss: "Well, Mr. Kolchak, you're partially correct. But you see,
that guy now lies in St. Lucy's Cemetery ... But it was a very nice
try" (rolls the car window up on Kolchak's nose).

Kolchak: (pushing the window back down) "No-no, see ... that's where
they keep putting him. But ... I'll bet my life--and I'm not saying
that loosely, gentlemen (laughs nervously)--I will bet my life that he
is not--there--now."
John Doe
2012-09-20 05:01:45 UTC
Post by David O.
TV zombie drama reached its high point in the horror-comedy hit
TV series "The Night Stalker" in the mid-1970s.
I saw the pilot for that. I think it was a "Movie of the Week". As
I recall... The vampire tied women to a bed, connected them to an
IV bag of blood, and then sucked the blood out of the women.
Naturally, they were good looking women.
John Doe
2012-09-20 05:22:13 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by David O.
TV zombie drama reached its high point in the horror-comedy hit
TV series "The Night Stalker" in the mid-1970s.
I saw the pilot for that. I think it was a "Movie of the Week".
As I recall... The vampire tied women to a bed, connected them
to an IV bag of blood, and then sucked the blood out of the
women. Naturally, they were good looking women.
Well, maybe not so good looking...

w***@gmail.com
2012-09-20 05:27:29 UTC
Did Pauline Kael write about it? What did she say?
Lewis
2012-09-20 09:10:42 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by David O.
TV zombie drama reached its high point in the horror-comedy hit TV
series "The Night Stalker" in the mid-1970s.
Did Pauline Kael write about it? What did she say?
Did Pauline Kael ever write baut TV?
--
The days of our innocence and grace flow by
The smiles we wear upon our face blow by
David O.
2012-09-21 03:52:47 UTC
He's just ribbing me.
notbob
2012-09-20 11:42:15 UTC
Post by David O.
TV zombie drama reached its high point in the horror-comedy hit TV
series "The Night Stalker" in the mid-1970s. One of the best episodes
So, you think this is a "high point"? No wonder TV content is no
better now than in the not-so-golden days of I Love Lucy.

nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
http://www.nongmoproject.org/
David O.
2012-09-22 16:56:30 UTC
Oh, so you didn't like I LOVE LUCY, eh?
moviePig
2012-09-20 12:08:04 UTC
Post by David O.
[...]
You're trying to demean 'The Walking Dead' by comparison with a '70s
icon, but, let me assure you, many of us like both oysters *and*
snails...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
David O.
2012-09-21 03:54:42 UTC
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 05:08:04 -0700 (PDT), moviePig
Post by moviePig
You're trying to demean 'The Walking Dead' by comparison with a '70s
icon, but, let me assure you, many of us like both oysters *and*
snails...
Hehhehheheh...

I've watched a few hours of that show. It's so witless and so lifeless
but still so noisy. It's true zombie TV.
Rich
2012-09-21 06:57:59 UTC
Post by moviePig
You're trying to demean 'The Walking Dead' by comparison with a '70s
icon, but, let me assure you, many of us like both oysters *and*
snails...
Hehhehheheh...
I've watched a few hours of that show. It's so witless and so lifeless
but still so noisy. It's true zombie TV.
But they can bring Kolchak back! They make him, young and handsome! Give
hiim a prime position at a top-flight newspaper, unlike the original.
They'll give him a $1M apartment and he'll be a big shot and the show
will be a big hit...oh, wait.
moviePig
2012-09-21 13:26:20 UTC
Post by moviePig
You're trying to demean 'The Walking Dead' by comparison with a '70s
icon, but, let me assure you, many of us like both oysters *and*
snails...
Hehhehheheh...
I've watched a few hours of that show. It's so witless and so lifeless
but still so noisy. It's true zombie TV.
You *do* realize that "witless" is part of its je ne c'est quoi, if
not indeed its raison d'etre...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
David O.
2012-09-22 02:54:32 UTC
I did *not* realize that.
moviePig
2012-09-22 17:18:40 UTC
Post by moviePig
You *do* realize that "witless" is part of its je ne c'est quoi, if
not indeed its raison d'etre...
I did *not* realize that.
It serves up hopeless, with a side of bleak. No room for gags, apart
from the reflex of that name.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
David O.
2012-09-25 01:47:31 UTC
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:18:40 -0700 (PDT), moviePig
Post by moviePig
It serves up hopeless, with a side of bleak.
But it's so SILLY, moviePig!

Lars von Trier is bleak. The TV zombie show is just so—SILLILY OAFISH.
moviePig
2012-09-25 04:07:28 UTC
Post by moviePig
It serves up hopeless, with a side of bleak.
But it's so SILLY, moviePig!
Lars von Trier is bleak. The TV zombie show is just so—SILLILY OAFISH.
The TV zombie show is a metaphor for being trapped in a world of
lethal mindless bastards, invincible in numbers, intent on grinding
you down. (See "Illegitimi non carborundum.") Von Trier, otoh, hints
at least about momentary escape through transcendence...

--

YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
g***@gmail.com