Pepe ( 1960 )
2020-03-15 17:46:45 UTC
Certainly one of the strangest films to be released by a major studio. Mexican comedy star , baggy pantsed Cantinflas carries a story that clocks in at 180 minutes, contains many celebrity cameos and was never commercially released for home viewing.
Story: The horse that Pepe looks after is sold to an American film producer. Pepe goes after him to try to possibly care for him or hopefully somehow buy him back.
I saw this in the early 60's but could recall only a bit of one of the musical productions.
Initially I watched only because of the horse and period outside shots of pre Beatles America. Cantinflas seemed a dime store Chaplinesque character but as time went on I bought into a double love story, sort of musical with the likes of Bobby D and Maurice Chavalier providing pleasant tuneful breaks from the story which came to have a corny, but played straight, charm. The humor is hit and miss but when seen a piece at a time the approach worked for me and I even came to find the lead to be agreeable even if more than a bit creepy.
Shirley Jones does some vocalizing tho her talent is better served in musical theater; still the film's highlight is Shirley merrily singing her way down picturesque Mexican streets surrounded by the peasantry in the title song production number. I almost always watch films with the color brightness as low as possible but on this one I went with the glorious vivid technicolor and was glad I did.

Left a pleasant, satisfied feel when " The End " flashed on screen and poof it was over and done. 8/10 would be tough to take in all at onces
Stephen DeMay
2020-03-16 17:14:39 UTC
[...]
The only straight cameo I liked was store owner Kim Novak ( playing herself ) she was " a move star " , the worst Hedda Hopper ( appropriate ). Egward G. worked well as a practical, decent producer. The spacious rooms in certain scenes made me think of " movie magic " this at the time when the days of the Hollywood studios was at its end.