I Need A Song Identified--I'm Hoping It Was Used In A Film
Inyo
2006-01-29 19:42:11 UTC
Over at http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/unknownsong.mp3 (in
40kbps MP3 format, by the way, so that folks with slower dialup modems
won't have to wait too awfully long for the file to buffer and then
play...) I've uploaded an instrumental whose title--and artist, if at
all possible--I'd really like to find out. I'm hoping that it was used
in a film and that somebody here will recognize it and be able to help
me with the information. It's an instrumental I taped to cassette off
an Easy Listening FM radio station several years ago--probably in the
90s sometime, though don't hold me to that, please; the beginning is
slightly chopped, simply because while turning the station dial at the
time, I happened upon the song shortly after it had already started.
Anyhow, recently I got around to digitalizing some of my analogue
cassette music, recorded from various AM and FM stations over the
years. And that "unknownsong.mp3" instrumental--a hauntingly beautiful
tune, I believe--really popped out at me, fascinated me. So much so
that I'm presently attempting to work up a solo, acoustic, 6-string
guitar version of it; I have all the chording and associated sequences
of notes worked out--plus, a semblance of an arrangement is already
rumbling around in my head. Trouble is, I'd really like to know what
the name of that tune is...and of course the artist. If somebody could
possibly help me out, I would of course be eternally grateful. My
functional email address is: Waucoba4 at aol dot com. Many thanks.

"Deep Night"--my solo, acoustic, instrumental 6-string guitar version
of that classic song whose lyrics were composed by the 1920s-'30s
crooner Rudy Vallee in 1929 (the song was used in the 1991 film, "My
Own Private Idaho," I've been told, though I've never seen the movie).
http://members.aol.com/Waucoba6/music/deepnight.html
David Oberman
2006-01-29 19:59:01 UTC
http://www.8notes.com/scores/2865.asp
Check IMDb for movie uses of the Adagio.
Bill Anderson
2006-01-29 23:25:20 UTC
Post by Inyo
Over at http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/unknownsong.mp3 (in
40kbps MP3 format, by the way, so that folks with slower dialup modems
won't have to wait too awfully long for the file to buffer and then
play...) I've uploaded an instrumental whose title--and artist, if at
all possible--I'd really like to find out.
Try this:

http://www.8notes.com/midi/

Scroll down to Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio),
click, download the midi file and play. I suspect the melody has
appeared in many films over the years. Not sure where you may have
heard it. Once upon a time back in the 70's or early 80's this melody
made it to the pop charts as "Midnight Blue." It's infuriating that now,
whenever I hear Beethoven's wonderful melody, I can't avoid thinking of
the insipid lyrics. Midnight blue, so lonely without you, etc etc. Awful.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Bill Anderson
2006-01-29 23:54:53 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by Inyo
Over at http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/unknownsong.mp3 (in
40kbps MP3 format, by the way, so that folks with slower dialup modems
won't have to wait too awfully long for the file to buffer and then
play...) I've uploaded an instrumental whose title--and artist, if at
all possible--I'd really like to find out.
http://www.8notes.com/midi/
Scroll down to Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio),
click, download the midi file and play. I suspect the melody has
appeared in many films over the years. Not sure where you may have
heard it. Once upon a time back in the 70's or early 80's this melody
made it to the pop charts as "Midnight Blue." It's infuriating that now,
whenever I hear Beethoven's wonderful melody, I can't avoid thinking of
the insipid lyrics. Midnight blue, so lonely without you, etc etc. Awful.
I kept thinking about it, did some searching, and found this on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No._8_%28Beethoven%29

As the sonata is one of the more famous of Beethoven's works, it has not
surprisingly been incorporated from time to time into works of popular
culture.

* It appears in the movie Star Trek: Insurrection, in a scene in
which the computer starts playing it but Picard rejects it in favor of a
mambo.
* The second movement was used as the theme music for the Coen
Brothers' film noir The Man Who Wasn't There.
* The second movement also appears in a Peanuts television special,
played by the character Schroeder.
* Billy Joel used the main theme of the second movement as the
chorus of his song This Night which appears on his An Innocent Man album.
* It was used by Silvio Rodriguez in his song Oh Melancolia.
* KISS employed that same theme in the chorus of their song "Great
Expectations" from the Destroyer album.
* Banya has a cover of the song called "Beethoven Virus" featured
in the panel-based dance game Pump it Up.
* Karl Haas used the second movement as the theme song for a
popular radio show he hosted.
* The opening of the first movement is played in an episode of the
sitcom Seinfeld, when Jerry is attending the recital of George's girlfriend.
* The third movement rondo's opening theme is a dance track in the
popular video game Dance Dance Revolution.
* The opening movement is featured in an episode of M*A*S*H where
Dr. Winchester doubts the musical abilities of a USO performer.

I betcha what you're looking for is in there somewhere. Remember, the
melody you're after is the *second* movement.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Rick
2006-01-30 02:36:07 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by Inyo
[...]
It's definitely Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio), but
that was not the basis for the hit record "Midnight Blue" by Melissa
Manchester. The latter was written by Manchester and Carole Bayer Sager,
and it has a different melody. Maybe there was another "Midnight Blue"?
Bill Anderson
2006-01-30 02:41:52 UTC
Post by Rick
It's definitely Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio), but
that was not the basis for the hit record "Midnight Blue" by Melissa
Manchester. The latter was written by Manchester and Carole Bayer Sager,
and it has a different melody. Maybe there was another "Midnight Blue"?
Yep. Sure was.

http://www.lyricsvault.net/songs/2339.html
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Inyo
2021-04-06 16:45:28 UTC
Zombie thread lovers rejoice.

I am now responding to this thread after a fifteen year hiatus. Because I just recently, finally, learned the exact name of the artist who recorded it.

Here's what I wrote here at rec.arts.movies.past-films back on January 29, 2006:

"Over at http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/unknownsong.mp3 (in
40kbps MP3 format, by the way, so that folks with slower dialup modems
won't have to wait too awfully long for the file to buffer and then
play...) I've uploaded an instrumental whose title--and artist, if at
all possible--I'd really like to find out. I'm hoping that it was used
in a film and that somebody here will recognize it and be able to help
me with the information. It's an instrumental I taped to cassette off
an Easy Listening FM radio station several years ago--probably in the
90s sometime, though don't hold me to that, please; the beginning is
slightly chopped, simply because while turning the station dial at the
time, I happened upon the song shortly after it had already started.
Anyhow, recently I got around to digitizing some of my analogue
cassette music, recorded from various AM and FM stations over the
years. And that "unknownsong.mp3" instrumental--a hauntingly beautiful
tune, I believe--really popped out at me, fascinated me. So much so
that I'm presently attempting to work up a solo, acoustic, 6-string
guitar version of it; I have all the chording and associated sequences
of notes worked out--plus, a semblance of an arrangement is already
rumbling around in my head. Trouble is, I'd really like to know what
the name of that tune is...and of course the artist. If somebody could
possibly help me out, I would of course be eternally grateful. Many thanks."
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by Inyo
Over at http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/unknownsong.mp3 (in
40kbps MP3 format, by the way, so that folks with slower dialup modems
won't have to wait too awfully long for the file to buffer and then
play...) I've uploaded an instrumental whose title--and artist, if at
all possible--I'd really like to find out.
That link no longer works, by the way--I pulled the file from my uploaded files long ago.

See the YouTube link, below, for the exact version of that instrumental whose name I wanted to learn.
Post by Bill Anderson
http://www.8notes.com/midi/
Scroll down to Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio),
click, download the midi file and play. I suspect the melody has
appeared in many films over the years. Not sure where you may have
heard it. Once upon a time back in the 70's or early 80's this melody
made it to the pop charts as "Midnight Blue." It's infuriating that now,
whenever I hear Beethoven's wonderful melody, I can't avoid thinking of
the insipid lyrics. Midnight blue, so lonely without you, etc etc. Awful.
--
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty Favog
Yes. Bottom line: The song I had in question is a 1983 instrumental version of "Midnight Blue," first recorded by Louise Tucker as a vocal in 1982: #13 in the Netherlands, November 1982; #1 in France in December, 1983; #13 in France in 1983 as"Midnight Blue en Irlande" by Michèle Torr; #7 in Canada, 1983; #46 US Billboard Hot 100 and #10 US Billboard Adult Contemporary, 1983; #59 in the UK, 1983; #6 in Sweden, July 1983; #27 in Australia, 1983; #1 in Denmark, 1983; and #51 in Germany, 1983.

And of course, as Bill Anderson says, it's based on Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement (Adagio).

Here's the Louise Tucker 1982 release (written by Charles Skarbek, Timothy Bartel Smit, with French lyrics by Pierre Delanoë) :

And here's that exact instrumental arrangement I recorded to a cassette tape all those years ago. It's a version of Tucker's "Midnight Blue" by orchestra leader Caravelli (real name Claude Vasori), originally released on 7" vinyl in 1983 with "Beautiful Dream"; also appears on Caravelli's 1987 CD "Une Heure Avec/One Hour with Caravelli"

Note that the Caravelli video of "Midnight Blue" was uploaded to YouTube on March 30, 2018: