Fight Club turns 20: Recalling when Rosie O'Donnell spoiled the massive twist on her talk show
Terrence Clay
2019-10-16 04:02:42 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fight-club-at-20-remembering-rosie-odonnell-spoiled-twist-1244335

O'Donnell saw an early screening of the David Fincher-directed Brad Pitt-Edward Norton film and hated its themes and violence. So she decided to spoil the twist on her hit daytime talk show The Rosie O'Donnell Show. "That was the largest (spoiler) of its kind pre-social media," says Richard Greene, author of Spoiler Alert! (It’s a Book About the Philosophy of Spoilers). "It’s not just something she shouldn’t have spoiled then, it is something you can’t spoil today." On the 2000 DVD commentary track for Fight Club, Pitt said of Rosie's spoiler: "I guess that is OK she hated it. She was saying this movie disturbed me, she could not sleep for nights. It hit a nerve. It struck some nerve whether she wanted to look at it or not. But the deal was, she gave away the ending on national television. That's just unforgivable."
Michael OConnor
2019-10-17 02:30:11 UTC
I remember when "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock" was released in 1984, USA Today gave away the entire plot of the movie in their paper.
Lewis
2019-10-17 22:41:06 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I remember when "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock" was released in
1984, USA Today gave away the entire plot of the movie in their paper.
The title did that.
Please to meet you, Rose. Now run for your life!
Halmyre
2019-10-18 07:30:56 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Michael OConnor
I remember when "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock" was released in
1984, USA Today gave away the entire plot of the movie in their paper.
The title did that.
As a reviewer at the time said, it's not really a spoiler to say, after two hours they didn't turn round and say, "nope, didn't find him".
Halmyre
Neill Massello
2021-07-30 00:48:34 UTC
Post by Terrence Clay
[...]
Fight Club was a great litmus test: almost all of those who hated it, such as
Roger Ebert, were PC halfwits.