His Dark Materials ( UK TV series 2019 )
2019-12-25 23:35:44 UTC
No problem for me to review this recent production as I'm going to do a comparison to The Golden Compass theater film.
I'm watching the show in taped format as I loathe waiting for weekly installments on live TV.
Season 1 of HDM is book 1 of the trilogy. The Golden Compass is also book one but did not include the conclusion of the book as the mood becomes much darker and was thought to be a better match for the anticipated second film that never happened due to low box office in the US, Some people thought it was in part due the Catholic Church's influence as the books are seen as an attack on the RCC.
Probably not as there's not any direct mention of religion in the film.
As the TV series runs about eight hours against the film's 2 1/4 or so hours a good opportunity is given for a comparison of a film adaptation of a short book and script that closely follows the written word,
First episode's audience was 700,00 on HBO which was thought to be good ? Same audience in UK was over 9 million, Game of Thrones territory.
Though I'm only done with the first five episodes and have not seen Golden Compass in years I can still make some observations as my memory of TGC is based on three viewings.
Simply put the theater film wins on every count.
The TV version has that dreaded digital, no depth, cold look ( unlike GOT ), an acting style that is low key monotonous throughout.
TGC failed to get me into the film in its early parts but at least it had texture in its cinematography.
The cuts made in the film were judicious as the parallel world bits in the TV show don't work and were completely absent in the theater version without any loss.
In almost all cases the extended time spent in the TV show almost always comes over as filler, not of interest or value, which makes the whole idea of a metaphysical mystery seem a wispy, murky mumbo jumbo.
A unique aspect about the characters is everyone has an animal daemon ( spirit ) that is always close at hand. No real explanation was offered in the film or the TV show ( to this point ) as to why this should be, Without the animals I might not have stayed with the story at all. Love the bears that come in later in the script but the casting in the teleseries is hit and miss. Like the central character, Lara, but most other roles are not that well filled. How four Blacks were cast is beyond me,
There just isn't any snap, crackle and pop in the character exchanges, mostly it's just yak to forward the story. Worse yet although there's plenty of cgi work for the daemons there's but one of the oh wow ! or punchy moments that are in the film.
I expect the last three episodes to show a little better but up to this point, a story of children stripped of their daemons ( souls ) witches, animal counterparts of a person's personality, parallel worlds, armored bears and a showdown between Religion ( which is never examined in any detail ) and metaphysics is more dark in its on screen look than in any psychological context. Surprisingly imdb rating is over 8/10...for me who was expecting more 6/10 so far not so goods
Ant
2019-12-26 06:43:59 UTC
I watched the whole season 1. It's visually pretty, but boring to me. :(
--
Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas / Season's Greetings!
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
( )
Stephen DeMay
Without concern in the animal spirits and bears the piece is too moody, should be electric at times. The film has a lot more energy and provides at least some interest in the characters
Stephen DeMay
2019-12-26 15:28:17 UTC
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Episode 6 is easily the best of the series primarily for bringing the horror of the cutting of the daemons from the children . This was not a focus of TGC. Action scenes brought life to a scenario in which the viewer was reduced to almost sleepwalking through the story.
Even so the overall look of the sets is lacking in variation.
In TGC the various looks and feels of the locales indicated there was a lot of money on the screen.
Nevertheless there are finally badly needed emotion affecting events and the start of an explanation of how the parallel world, dust and daemons are connected which until now has been a mystery but one that engaged the heart or mind
Stephen DeMay
2019-12-26 18:57:05 UTC
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Episode 7 continued the increased interest that began in 6. It ends about at the point TGC did.
Mention is made of great battles to come which causes a GOT feeling which means I don't expect season 1 to end with anything like all loose threads tied together.
Series has done a good job with the cgi . I had expected the production to skimp on costs. GOT would have had Nymeria and her wolves join the battle against the Night King but the budget wasn't there.
Three big differences so far between the TV and theater product...HDM is harsher in tone as was shown in episode 6, the parallel world ( this world ) was not in GOT, use of military personnel in Lyra's world was not in the film. Am expecting episode 8 to be tough , if so the over all rating for the series will increase more than a bit as a final rating is more or less the over all impact rather than a sum of its parts.
Stephen DeMay
2019-12-27 00:31:43 UTC
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Easy to understand why the people behind TGC chose to end the film before the book's conclusion. It's powerful , totally unexpected, cruel and sad but an excellent bridge to the next volume.
I suspect book 2 will be much different than TGC. That does not bode well. Narnia was a strong film but several key elements contained in that story were absent from the sequels with the result that the follow ups stunk.
May possibly read the book series, at least book 2 before the next TV adaptation . I'm sensing the story will be set in this world and that plus a sharp drop in the animal content could be for me a parade of what was wrong about the early parts of book 1.
I suspect that if the proposed theater film trilogy had come to pass the result would have been a story with a less forceful touch than HDM TV... that was pretty clear to see in the daemon separation sequences in TGC.
Tho HDM is viewed as a children's saga in a broad sense it is really adult stuff.
Probably the character representations, lacking the dreaded sexual element, can be seen as abstractions, that's fine with me.
Tho I still prefer the more stylish big budget look and feel of TGC the final parts of HDM TV had a sufficiently hard edge plus heart and " soul " such that consequently I up my final rating to 8-/10 finish strongs
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-05 17:20:16 UTC
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Really good films look and sound better with repeated viewings. I prefer the casting in almost all parts of HDM to TGC. There's lots of intelligence throughout...in character reactions and bits of dialogue that are easily underappreciated or even missed , first time round.
Only episode 2 should have been better paced. Great combination of fantasy, science fiction and horror. No doubt that season one is an all out attack on the Christian church and all the good for it. Raise the rating to 9 +/10 dust to dusts