The Rapture (US) 1991
wlah...@gmail.com
2021-07-15 01:34:56 UTC
Hey,

Although I was raised Irish Catholic in Queens, NY, during the 1950s and 1960s, it didn't take long before I jettisoned the idea of supreme beings and organized religions. While I did catch some Hollywood religious epics, that soon ended and my only infrequent brushes with Catholicism was reading James Joyce or Graham Greene.

So I really don't have an explanation of how or why I came to see this film years ago (on VHS) with the possible reason being that I watched Jerry Schatzberg's Street Smart and was more impressed with Kathy Baker and Mimi Rogers than I was with the film.

The story concerns a woman who is a telephone operator by day and by night cruises with a male partner for anonymous and group sex. She ends her hobby and is raising a girl child when she beigns hearing about the Rapture at work. One thing leads to another and she ends up in the desert and one of the best endings in a religious-based film that I've seen. No matter what your beliefs – or lack thereof – this is one that shouldn't be missed.

Written and directed by Michael Tolkin. Cinematography by Bojan Bazelli and music by Thomas Newman. Starring Mimi Rogers, David Duchovny, Patrick Bauchau, and Will Paton, among others.
Bill Anderson
2021-07-27 16:57:44 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
It has been a long time since I've seen this one and now that you've
reminded me I will see if I still have a copy. It blew me away with its
literal depiction of the end of times as described in the Bible and I'm
still impressed with Mimi Rogers' defiance. I remember recommending it
to a religious friend I thought would appreciate it but he found it
immensely troubling. So to maintain peace I stopped talking about it and
kept my opinions to myself. But I really admired this movie.
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-27 18:01:58 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 11:57:44 -0500, Bill Anderson
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Take it all with a grain of salt, Bill. This from an Assyrian tablet
dated to 2800 BCE:

"Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the
world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common;
children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book
and the end of the world is evidently approaching."

https://www.worldhistory.org/article/1801/biblical-apocalypse/

As I often say, we are in the 21st Century. Time to put away "magical
thinking". Time for civilization to grow up and become civilized.