The Plot Against America ( HBO mini series )
2020-03-25 17:12:55 UTC
For me a movie is a movie whatever the source.
Story : Jewish families in Newark New Jersey witness Charles Lindburg 's election as president.
I've lived in this area all my life, tho obviously not in the time period, which gives the production potentially some extra appeal. Certainly I noticed that in the 50's there was animosity ( read jealousy ) from the poor Irish and Italians young males towards Jews. The series just completed its second episode with the direction in which it's headed shows an alternative history that divides Americans rather than bringing them togetherin war time. I do know that the German bunds ( Germans are the largest national group in the U S ) were highly active at this time and isolationism was the predominant sentiment in the American public.
Lindburg was a hugely popular isolationist, just how deep his anti - Jewish sentiments ran I don't know but it does not take much to accept that with different leadership the 40's could have been a whole different ball game.
Very nice sense of place and time with good dialogue and cast seem to be in place for a story that has the feel of a Hollywood vehicle from that era, that is a bit stylized but classy. Just enough soap opera stuff to give the impression that these are real people. So far 8+/10 Jews bewares
Stephen DeMay
Several realities come into focus in the series : It is smart as were the best UK dramas of the 80's - 2005 or so, unpredictable, unusual and realistic. Have to stretch a bit to allow for Just Folks program but the whole project really stands out.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-03-31 23:51:17 UTC
For me a movie is a movie whatever the source.=20
You know, I am well aware that Google Groups posters don't give a shit
about how their articles look to anyone using an ordinary Usenet client,
called a newsreader, and not the horrid Google Groups web interface.

You are an annoying enough poster as it is. But lately, you've taken
being annoying to all new heights by refusing to use blank lines between
paragraphs. Everything you write is a big block of text of multiple
paragraphs. When your mess gets quoted in followup, it becomes even
more unreadable.

The point of posting to a network is to prepare an article for others to
read, not a difficult to read mess of a block of text.

"But it looks ok in my browser!" doesn't mean you've made sure that it
looks ok for a Usenet user.

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears 'cuz Google Groups users don't give
a shit about what they do to Usenet.
Stephen DeMay
rampf has always had more than its share of cranks. Go out and suck up some Chin - V
Stephen DeMay
Is this " social distancing " ?
Stephen DeMay
Adam has always been a loudmouth Jew, you'll get yours
Stephen DeMay
I was in disbelief to learn that the next ( 6th ) episode of the series to air on Monday is the last installment. I would have thought twice as many would not be enough. Did not recognize Winnona Ryder in the cast. One of the great film/tv presentations ever. The reality of the characters gives the events an added layer of immersion . 9/10 lucky Lindies
Stephen DeMay
The last episode is a disaster, phony, unsatisfying on the macro and micro level. A bad version of everything will be OK , just wait a bit. Trump will probably put the lie to this idea in November when history repeats itself. Series as a whole pulled down to 8-/10 vox populi vox deis
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-21 16:58:48 UTC
[...]
The conclusion ( which followed the book ) is so full of stretches that it becomes fantasy rather than alternative history. The wife of Lucky Lindy changing the course of matters by a radio address was the most far fetched. Program did a reasonable job with the material but only the murder of the Jewess by the KKK had a ring of truth. Trump is somewhat cut from the same cloth as Lindburg. The media is going all out to vilify him while not mentioning Democratic errors. Let's see if independent voters turn him out. Biden is such a weak candidate the Dems are likely to beat themselves ( again ).