Chin - V 6
2020-04-06 12:28:59 UTC
About half of Yahoo reader comments on the Italian numbers think the decline in cases and deaths is the road to recovery the other half recognize these numbers are the result of a strictly enforced total lock down'
What's happening is text book history right under your nose. To have lived in the 30's depression decade and followed the decline would have been a long haul. Most people are clueless about the rapid recovery the stock market made in the 9 months following the collapse...then the bottom fell out. To have been following WW2 at the time would have been of interest until Midway , then Stalingrad. Afterwards a long period of predictable results.
This baby is unfolding day by day with the first question : when will Trump declare America " open for business " , looks like Trump time on that. Next how will governors of highly affected states react to that ( stay closed you betcha ) with the general public and Trump on the govs backs to get with the plan. Then the results of ending the lockdowns way too soon ( a return to high infections, some serious illness and deaths ) then , what next ? The daily briefings should be a war zone between reporters and Trump, if not America will be poorly served. . How do I feel ? If I'm looking at the health of the country, which I'm not, I'm back to let it run, the economic effects of a year long lockdown in large parts of the country could be felt for years. For me this my daily entertainment. Italy does not have the problems of federal/state control over local commerce. Daily infection numbers are over 4,000 now , if that number goes down to say 1,000 may be worth a try to oren things up. Could be quickly reversed. US governors could look to see what happens. History is never predictable but that's how it's looking now.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-06 13:07:08 UTC
[...]

Two areas that have yet to get high scrutiny are : the difference between am open economy and closed one with regard to spread of the virus and the limits of testing.
My guess is a return to normal situation starting from say Italy's present 4500/day new infection rate going to maybe 1,000/day would be to have daily infections back to 6,000/day in two weeks and then exploding.
Testing in Italy assuming an end to a lock down does not work (Italy seems to be infection wise reasonably close to the US ) could be a model for the US, but if a large percentage of working people come up positive the economy would be slowed down a lot. In a return to normal situation likely all working people will get the virus. China kept tens of millions of people at home, they got food delivered, people were tested and isolated. Can't happen in the US, not even in the metro areas. In the US in areas with lockdowns people stay home because there isn't anywhere to go. In states without lockdowns people do what they usually do.
Absent a vaccine the current situation will be a mess no matter what course is taken.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-06 14:03:29 UTC
[...]
Wall street is lovin' Trumps Palm Sunday message to get America open again. The con man is trying to run the ultimate big con.
Anyone who knows much about the 30's knows it was the government that created and sustained the depression. Allowing sky high margins on stocks, not saving deposits in failed banks, not getting into deficit spending enough. The recession of the 70's lasted a decade.
Trump allowed this to happen in the US ( Democrats may not have done much better ) question is now not when will the virus " go away " but how much damage can Trump do to an already bad situation. Trump and company will spin out voodoo economics and the world will slip into another depression. I've come to really despise that mealy mouthed female doc with her " granularities " What a fuckin' toady. Will be of interest to see how this plays out.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-06 14:41:48 UTC
[...]
I suspect that it will not take long for the governors to cave in and open their states. It will be saving the economy against the lives of old and sick people. The indication of the reality of the opening up will be the hospitals. They will not be able to take in the dying and very ill. Many people who could be saved , won't because there will be too many of them to take in. Trump will go on about building new hospitals but there won't be nearly the number needed. The heartland will have a massive increase in cases because of the spillover.
I'm actually not against the let it run and maybe get it over approach but the reality that it will never be presented as an economy or lives of old and sick people problem but probably some variation of we're doing all we can that would annoy me. Most Americans will just go along with it. As I've written before history can't be predicted. Trump could come out of this not as the person who caused it to happen but as the savior of America. Sleepy Joe will be marginalia.
Stephen DeMay
Malaria drug will get its first real test study in a Detroit hospital. Governor of Georgia has issued order to open beaches. yeow !!! Truly if you're sickly or really old don't go out. I'm only going grocery shopping because I can't be complacent
Stephen DeMay
Micro story of the day...Rumson New Jersey : a concert by a Pink Floyd cover band held on the front yard of somebody's house will likely result in charges for violation of the shelter in place order.
Stephen DeMay
New York and New Jersey now have a combined total of 182,000 reported cases. Real number of active infections is probably 500,00 in a population of 24 million.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-06 23:39:44 UTC
[...]
All of the gab about the future coming from the briefings has failed to get into the area of how low the number of new infections needs to be before the start to get back to normal takes place. Nor is there any indication of how " normal " will look week to week. Unimpressed by the data. The talk about testing in the future is more meaningful. If people are tested and removed from the general population that would work well, if enoughtests are given.