A couple of older winners I recently saw for the first time
Add Reply
super70s
2021-08-16 16:15:51 UTC
Strangerland (2014)

Nicole Kidman doesn't play up her natural beauty in this Australian-set
drama about a couple whose two kids run off into the desert, with some
strong support from hubby Joseph Fiennes and local sheriff Hugo Weaving.
In the featurette we find out Strangerland was her first return to her
native Oz since the boat thriller Dead Calm. Excellent acting, direction
and writing I thought.

Stone (2010)

Robert De Niro is a prison parole officer who is corrupted by inmate
Edward Norton and his wife Milla Jovovich (va va voom), eventually
"losing his religion" as he spirals down, along with loyal wife Frances
Conroy (Broken Flowers). I was expecting a shoot 'em up with those two
male leads but this is the kind of thought provoking drama I really
enjoy. Great movie.
Mack A. Damia
2021-08-16 16:54:59 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 11:15:51 -0500, super70s
Post by super70s
Strangerland (2014)
Nicole Kidman doesn't play up her natural beauty in this Australian-set
drama about a couple whose two kids run off into the desert, with some
strong support from hubby Joseph Fiennes and local sheriff Hugo Weaving.
In the featurette we find out Strangerland was her first return to her
native Oz since the boat thriller Dead Calm. Excellent acting, direction
and writing I thought.
Stone (2010)
Robert De Niro is a prison parole officer who is corrupted by inmate
Edward Norton and his wife Milla Jovovich (va va voom), eventually
"losing his religion" as he spirals down, along with loyal wife Frances
Conroy (Broken Flowers). I was expecting a shoot 'em up with those two
male leads but this is the kind of thought provoking drama I really
enjoy. Great movie.
(The following films may have been reviewed before, but they are worth
mentioning. Recent films that I have watched)

"The Hundred-Foot Journey" (2014)

Starring Helen Mirren. The Kadam family leaves India for France where
they open a restaurant in a small village directly across the road
from Madame Mallory's Michelin-starred eatery.

Warning: This film will make you hungry. Excellent film.

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" (2007)

Terrific film about a crime with a lot of twists. Stars Philip
Seymour Hoffman, directed by Sidney Lumet.

"Munich" (2005)

Munich is a 2005 historical action thriller film produced and directed
by Steven Spielberg, co-written by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth. It is
based on the 1984 book Vengeance by George Jonas, an account of
Operation Wrath of God, the Israeli government's secret retaliation
against the Palestine Liberation Organization after the Munich
massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics.

Violent and bloody film full of suspense. Excellent.

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War spy thriller film
directed by Tomas Alfredson. The screenplay was written by Bridget
O'Connor and Peter Straughan, based on John le Carré's 1974 novel of
the same name. The film stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, with Colin
Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict
Cumberbatch, Ciarán Hinds, David Dencik and Kathy Burke supporting. It
is set in London in the early 1970s and follows the hunt for a Soviet
double agent at the top of the British secret service.

Oldman is outstanding as George Smiley. You have to be on your toes
for this one.
super70s
2021-08-17 11:30:38 UTC
Post by super70s
[...]
I thought this sounded familiar, I checked my "Free HBO viewings" list
and turns out I saw it on June 20 during the last free preview (yeah I'm
a movie nerd I keep detailed records of this stuff, lol). I remember
having a favorable impression.
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" (2007)
Terrific film about a crime with a lot of twists. Stars Philip
Seymour Hoffman, directed by Sidney Lumet.
I don't know how wide a distribution this had when it was first released
but I caught it at a "boutique cinema" in a nearby big city back in
2007. The DVD has also been in my library for several years. Lumet must
have been sensitive to the criticism of the opening sex scene which many
thought was gratuitous, he deleted it for the DVD release.
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Munich" (2005)
Munich is a 2005 historical action thriller film produced and directed
by Steven Spielberg, co-written by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth. It is
based on the 1984 book Vengeance by George Jonas, an account of
Operation Wrath of God, the Israeli government's secret retaliation
against the Palestine Liberation Organization after the Munich
massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics.
Violent and bloody film full of suspense. Excellent.
Yeah a good one.
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War spy thriller film
directed by Tomas Alfredson. The screenplay was written by Bridget
O'Connor and Peter Straughan, based on John le Carré's 1974 novel of
the same name. The film stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, with Colin
Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict
Cumberbatch, Ciarán Hinds, David Dencik and Kathy Burke supporting. It
is set in London in the early 1970s and follows the hunt for a Soviet
double agent at the top of the British secret service.
Oldman is outstanding as George Smiley. You have to be on your toes
for this one.
A little too much boring British political discourse for me, many think
it's inferior to the TV version. But yeah Oldman never disappoints.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-08-17 13:08:17 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War spy thriller film
directed by Tomas Alfredson. The screenplay was written by Bridget
O'Connor and Peter Straughan, based on John le Carré's 1974 novel of
the same name. The film stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, with Colin
Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict
Cumberbatch, Ciarán Hinds, David Dencik and Kathy Burke supporting. It
is set in London in the early 1970s and follows the hunt for a Soviet
double agent at the top of the British secret service.
Oldman is outstanding as George Smiley. You have to be on your toes
for this one.
A little too much boring British political discourse for me, many think
it's inferior to the TV version. But yeah Oldman never disappoints.
Excellent cast but the directing is plodding. Oldman is terrific.

Aargh. The tv miniseries never turns up on tv!
George
2021-08-17 23:04:03 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by super70s
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War spy thriller film
directed by Tomas Alfredson. [...]
Oldman is outstanding as George Smiley. You have to be on your toes
for this one.
Yes, Oldman is good in this role, but he's not quite the
unassuming time server described in the novel. And he's not Alec
Guiness.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by super70s
A little too much boring British political discourse for me, many think
it's inferior to the TV version. But yeah Oldman never disappoints.
It's a good effort - if you know the either novel or the 1979 BBC
miniseries (the gold standard).
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Excellent cast but the directing is plodding. Oldman is terrific.
Aargh. The tv miniseries never turns up on tv!
But it is still available on Amazon.
--
George Ruch
"Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?"
Mack A. Damia
2021-09-16 16:42:17 UTC
Post by George
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Excellent cast but the directing is plodding. Oldman is terrific.
Aargh. The tv miniseries never turns up on tv!
But it is still available on Amazon.
Got the Alec Guinness six-hour BBC version on Tuesday. Although
Guinness is marvelous, I thought the first disk was a bit tedious
until the last half of the second installment. I haven't gone
further, yet.

Watched "The Good Shepherd" starring Matt Damon, too. Rather long and
has been accused of being tedious. It held my interest. I enjoy the
spy genre.

Both films (Damon and Oldman) were nothing like James Bond. Rather
refreshing.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-09-16 21:14:17 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by George
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Excellent cast but the directing is plodding. Oldman is terrific.
Aargh. The tv miniseries never turns up on tv!
But it is still available on Amazon.
Got the Alec Guinness six-hour BBC version on Tuesday. Although
Guinness is marvelous, I thought the first disk was a bit tedious
until the last half of the second installment. I haven't gone
further, yet.
Watched "The Good Shepherd" starring Matt Damon, too. Rather long and
has been accused of being tedious. It held my interest. I enjoy the
spy genre.
I've seen that on tv. It takes a while to develop the plot and
characters. I liked the deliberate pacing.

I suppose anything can be ordered these days. Game, Set, and Match was
quite excellent, a 13 episode series produced for ITV from three decades
back. Ian Holm as Bernard Samson was brilliant, best role of his career
and one of the few times he got to star in something. Alas, ITV didn't
get the ratings they were looking for and they never adapted the rest of
the novels in the Berlin series.

Len Deighton was at the top of his game, and stopped writing novels
after completing the Berlin series. The prequel novel Winter is part of
the series.

There's some repetition in the novels and I don't think there was quite
enough for nine novels, but I enjoyed them at the time. Winter was
particularly good.
Post by Mack A. Damia
Both films (Damon and Oldman) were nothing like James Bond. Rather
refreshing.
There's no need to compare. Bond movies are a separate genre.

moviePig
2021-08-17 14:08:05 UTC
Post by super70s
[...]
I don't bother to keep such a record. I just repeatedly wish I had...
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Munich" (2005)
Munich is a 2005 historical action thriller film produced and directed
by Steven Spielberg, co-written by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth. It is
based on the 1984 book Vengeance by George Jonas, an account of
Operation Wrath of God, the Israeli government's secret retaliation
against the Palestine Liberation Organization after the Munich
massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics.
Violent and bloody film full of suspense. Excellent.
Yeah a good one.
...and, in an impressive show of range, released the same year as
Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS.
All "dilemmas" should be thus...
Mack A. Damia
2021-08-17 15:20:27 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War spy thriller film
directed by Tomas Alfredson. The screenplay was written by Bridget
O'Connor and Peter Straughan, based on John le Carré's 1974 novel of
the same name. The film stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, with Colin
Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict
Cumberbatch, Ciarán Hinds, David Dencik and Kathy Burke supporting. It
is set in London in the early 1970s and follows the hunt for a Soviet
double agent at the top of the British secret service.
Oldman is outstanding as George Smiley. You have to be on your toes
for this one.
A little too much boring British political discourse for me, many think
it's inferior to the TV version. But yeah Oldman never disappoints.
I just sent away for the BBC version with Sir Alec Guinness.

Yes, you have to be on your toes for this one; lots of political
intrigue. It helps if you get definitions of some of the terms used
before you watch it such as 'Control, "Circus", "Nursery", "Mole",
Karla and more. Available through Google.

Relates to the "Cambridge Five", too. Kim Philby in particular.

I thought the film was "outstanding". To each his own. :)

Lots of "secrets". It's a spy film!
Mack A. Damia
2021-08-21 00:12:23 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:54:59 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Munich" (2005)
Munich is a 2005 historical action thriller film produced and directed
by Steven Spielberg, co-written by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth. It is
based on the 1984 book Vengeance by George Jonas, an account of
Operation Wrath of God, the Israeli government's secret retaliation
against the Palestine Liberation Organization after the Munich
massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics.
Violent and bloody film full of suspense. Excellent.
Some of you might recognize Michael Lonsdale as "Papa"; he also played
Deputy Commissioner Claude Lebel in the 1973 political thriller, "The
Day of the Jackal". He died last September.