Journal of the plague year 2
2020-04-17 12:46:31 UTC
The strongest impression I've formed in being near the bulls eye of this mess is not a soul knows what is going to happen during the next months. I'm sitting on about 2,500 pounds of cat litter and I still don't know if that's enough of a buffer between my needs and possible breakdowns in the commodity supply system.
Certainly frozen foods are scarce in supermarkets.
Odd thing is that about 1/3 of the self - service machines in Stop and Shop and Walmart are out of operation and nobody seems much interested. Strange since no more than one or two cashiers are ever on duty.
The over all situation is bizarro. Hospitals in the NYC area have thousands of beds to spare, the death count is minuscule yet people are now forced to wear face coverings while in contact with others.
To extrapolate from the reported number of cases to include people without symptoms ( they are not immune, rather their immune systems are strong enough to ward off symptoms ) and people with mild symptoms who do not bother to go thru the bother of being tested I would thin the real number of infected individuals would be 1/2 to one million in a population of 15 million in the NYC area. Deaths in this area are around 15,000 . That's one in a thousand in by far the most heavily infected area in the US. Herd immunity could take many months if herd immunity is suppressed by lock downs and gradual openings.
Since the medical preparations are in place to deal with a surge in infections and there's little to no chance of the virus just dying off thru lock downs I view a continuation of current restrictions to be nothing more than an annoyance...and I have to be less inconvenienced and financially hurt than most.
At this point there seems to be a looming collision between an angry public and mitigation efforts that probably won't work very well in the long run. I don't see a deft touch keeping fatalities minimal while getting matters back to normal. in a reasonable amount of time. Could be some battles of interest coming up, and not between Washington and the states.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-17 17:26:55 UTC
[...]
Police department of a small Maryland town has issued a tough warning to residents to wear pants when collecting mail from mailboxes. This is how it starts.
Following my review of numerous Yahoo posts that chronicle actions and remarks made by Prez Trump and leading Democrats , sad to report that Trump , tho he had the ultimate authority to issue testing and quarantine requirements , comes out way ahead of his opponents. And I thought this virus would bring him down.

Biden may choose a female black for VP. If Sleepy Joe's campaign needs an image it can be Joe swinging from a noose with the fat Negress atop his shoulders Esmeralda style.
The Walmart super stores are so big probably around a thousand people could fit in. Company has issued new guidelines that restrict the number of shoppers to no more than 20% of capacity. Store I use has been mostly very busy before this change. The problem of how this can work out may be greater than the one posed by the corona virus.
The biggest nursing home in new Jersey has been castigated for putting one of the stiffs in a shed out back after the on site morgue was full up. As I wrote before it's anybody's guess how the NYC area situation will pan out but there could be some Hollywood style black humor in the wings for what might turn out to be an unsolvable dilemma .
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-17 18:16:29 UTC
[...]
Just looked at latest wisdom from N. J. 's gov about what would have to be done to allow restaurant openings : half capacity, temperature checks, continuous scrub a dub dub , maybe a saliva check...thanks but no thanks and what about cinemas, bars, clubs, sporting events ?
On further thought although California and Italy may be able ease into opening for business in my area the only viable approach is not to try to contain the virus but to isolate vulnerable people, not so that they will pass on the disease...so that they won't get really sick or die. Mostly this has to be done by theindividual and those close to him or her with assistance from the outside to keep contact with people to near zero. Then it's business as usual and let her immunity clean thingsup. Seems the best choice, maybe theonly manageable choice. As matters are now it's a case of the blind leading the blind.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-18 13:26:03 UTC
[...]
Maybe the weirdest virus related change would be major league baseball playing all games in the spring training state of Arizona without spectators and with the players in the stands instead of the dugouts. This is what's on the table now.
N J courts have been closed since mid March. Would think opening beaches in the South would be bad news. The changes at Walmart should bring the new case numbers down in NJ. Biggest area of interest would be California when its lock down is lifted.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-18 15:06:48 UTC
[...]
Doubt if many folk in my location ( NYC area ) have a clue as to what " opening up " the NYC metro area means. When it begins ( maybe not for many weeks ) it would be businesses and stores and possibly restaurants with very limited seating,
Bars, clubs, theater, cinemas, sports venues because of the numbers and proximity of people may be not be open until much later in the year.
People are clamoring to have the kids go back to school. Sure little Juan and Akeera will be the picture of health ...and their infected selves will put away the grandparents.
It's not that I find this virus to be of real interest ( as long as it does not turn really deadly ) it's just a diversion from my real concerns.
Maybe the most dumb ass comments I've heard is that grocery store workers are heroes. Politicians will say any shit to increase their popularity. Most amusing sight so far is the local liquor store door sign : all customers must wear masks AND GLOVES . Would take a lot to keep a drinking man away from the sauce.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-18 23:30:46 UTC
[...]
Latest research showsthat while heat will not kill the virus, humidity might and sunlight will. Looking like the Jersey shore is the place to be. Is Snooky still around ?