Journal of the plague year
2020-04-14 14:42:46 UTC
Italian daily cases are dropping a bit , question one is how low will it go ? Question two is what happens when lockdown is lifted ? On Monday Trump all but said he will end the lock down in a few days. During the briefing he presented a video of TV clips with prominent Democrats praising his efforts which was so much a campaign piece the journalists' jaws dropped. The best description of Trump I've come across is that he's a malevolent narcissist, nevertheless he's wiping the floor with his detractors and constantly referring to Biden as " Sleepy Joe ". Governors of several states will ignore his open things up order, will be of some interest to watch and hear Trump's reaction. When America goes back to normal I suspect a large number of sick people will go bye bye , but should not make more than a ripple on the pond.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-14 15:22:57 UTC
Italian daily cases are dropping a bit , question one is how low will it go ? Question two is what happens when lockdown is lifted ? On Monday Trump all but said he will end the lock down in a few days. During the briefing he presented a video of TV clips with prominent Democrats praising his efforts which was so much a campaign piece the journalists' jaws dropped. The best description of Trump I've come across is that he's a malevolent narcissist, nevertheless he's wiping the floor with his detractors and constantly referring to Biden as " Sleepy Joe ". Governors of several states will ignore his open things up order, will be of some interest to watch and hear Trump's reaction. When America goes back to normal I suspect a large number of sick people will go bye bye , but should not make more than a ripple on the pond.
The local Walmart I frequent is an absurd study of how the virus outbreak has been handled. Until late last week the airplane hanger sized store would have people ( 75 % of whom did not have masks ) in dense numbers. Now after the gov's order everybody has a face covering and so few people are allowed in at a time the place looks empty. Recently returned from senior hour, the rest of the customers, all wearing masks, formed a line about 800 feet long as everyone was 7 or 8 feet from each other. At busy times can't imagine what the place will be like. Many items are not to be seen. I'm stocked for six months on animal products.
Trump has turned the outbreak into part comedy central, part stomp the journalists. The guide lines for opening America will be announced this week. If El Presidente wants to butt heads with Democrats about the timing of the opening things should heat up.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-15 23:32:09 UTC
[...]
As time passes the focus changes : The Democratic governors of California, N Y and N J do not want to enhance the standing of Donald The Entertainer so the strategy in these key states may be part political, part economic, part medical.
The big to do about ventilators and hospital beds is ancient history and Americans are itching to get back to sports, pay checks and partying.
Forget any battles between Washington and the states the coming battles will be between the governors and the people/voters. Abstract numbers and occasional stories about clusters are just not going to prevent such a swell of discontent that the economy will have to be opened up sooner rather than later. When the numbers jump people will tune out. government has been , " too late the hero " and will in some cases uncomfortably go along with a rising tide . Can't down a cold one or chow down with a napkin on your face. Unless preventative measures turn out o be more effective than I expect they will be politicians may have to raise double talk to new heights to down play what could be a death toll above the 2 1/2 mil first theorized.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-16 14:27:57 UTC
[...]
NYC is now padding the numbers about deaths to get more funding and make all the appeals to the Federal government more justifiable. JUst as is now true at Walmart government action was too little initially, too much later on.
An additional day of reflection on what's been happening makes it clear that there is now sufficient preparation and awareness in place to allow for an opening of the country right now. The lockdown had its value, but this is now just the flu. The probability of a few more deaths is hardly enough to keep this morass in place. China probably had 100, 000 deaths in an infected area of 50 - 100 million big wow.
Trump may be a king after all. He's ready to supersede Democratic congressional delays in appointing judges. Ironic as the Republicans slowed down the appointment process of Obama's Supreme court candidate until his 8 years in office came to an end.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-16 22:50:07 UTC
[...]
The most recent map of reported cases in the US is an eye opener : there's the NYC area ...and everything else. I pledge that I am prepared to use the senior hour and a half available each day at Stop and Shop and the measly one hour per week at Walmart to make this country whatever.
To listen to The Prez and Pence endlessly roll out the, how brave and unified are the US people, is an indication that words don't have meaning any more (as if they ever did ).
I doubt if many people would have thought Trump could make the outbreak his primary re-election tool. Sleepy Joe's ( the best tag ever for any politician ) chances couldn't be revived by Lonesome Roads' cracker barrel show. As an Australian news anchor said a few weeks ago , " Can you imagine this guy debating Trump ? There isn't enough popcorn in the world " .