Godzilla King of the Monsters ( 2019 )
2020-01-21 17:16:50 UTC
I'm about half way through this. It's so badso far I've had to watch in twenty minute segments.
I believe I have every Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Gamera film tho I've seen only a small fraction of them. Shortcomings of these films include lack of continuity film to film, boring humans less the " monsters " segments , juvenile POV in some and lack of imaginative mayhem in the action sequences.
Theb2014 Godilla I did not like on first viewewing , not enough big g, but I thought well of it second time thru...had some fantasy/edginess and OK story.
Have yet to see Shin Godzilla. This 2019 is supposed to be a sequel to the 2014 film.
Starts off crazy with the information that Godzilla and other big monsters have been locked up in various places for a long time. Just how this came about is anyone's guess. The purpose is to study them to see if they can be somehow useful
Things get kablooey when enviornmental commandos attack these locations to free the big guys to bring balance to a planet ravaged by humans even tho many people will die in theprocess.
So Godzilla gets loose and now the good people of earth want answers to why world governments have kept a lid on the project.
Film's storyline can be broken into two areas : people talking about what to do and the monsters on a rampage.
The people segments are as bad as can be : crap dialogue, zero tension, poor casting and acting with the plot coming down to mom , or will it be daughter,saves the world.
The monsters on the loose parts ( and they are really big ) is also a failure without any real feel for the individual participants. Mostly it is an attempt to present a bigger is better and badder appeal. The battle looks to be Mothra and Godzilla against all comers. Once Kong on Skull Island got going the action sequences were very good. So far there have been two brief moments of interest.
The world seems incapable of bringing the creatures down tho all of them had been captured and contained before.
At this point I'm bored. 1/10 big and bads
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-21 23:16:23 UTC
[...]
SEcond part had one good moment. Problems here are many. The giant monsters have been reduced to members of a wrestling tag team match. Godzilla maintains dignity but Rodan and Mothra are just moving figures in the distance. Mothra will be reborn again as the newly discovered egg makes clear and big g will return but the big g is king all bow down business is crapola. Could not understand the sci - fi / mythos history of the monsters beginnings. The big guys lacked heart ...the battles and plot made me think of John Wick 3... that is forget trying to put an edgy, clever story on screen just go for double digit IQ audience preferences. There's not a bit of character interest to be found as was preset in say the Mothra or Rodan films ...just a lot of thrashing around.
Worse yet is the human element. Vera Farmiga spends her screen time looking frazzled while trying to get something out of terrible dialogue. Charles Dance as the kinda villian mostly just stands around as if waiting for something of interest to do or say. The rest of the cast is grade Z but no matter even the best players could not do much with the material at hand. I'm not anxious to see the sequels. 3/10 setting the table for more of the sames
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-22 21:33:05 UTC
[...]
I'm startng on a second viewing. Can appreciate how after a first look barrage of information a rewatch , especially on tape which allows for multiple views of parts, makes the film more enjoyable,
In the Batman trilogy the confluence of story line, dialogue and action was easier to take on repeated viewings...tho in those film the quality was evident on first look.
My objections to the Godzilla film are valid but now , being able to parce out quickly delivered dialogue to better understand what has and is happening and to view the battle royales in the full context of the whole story I'm more able to enjoy what's being offered.
The Japanese big monster films are notorious for not having any film to film story line. Any given piece can contain bits of prior big monster hstory or none at all.
This film has the general population aware that there are big mysterious creatures , together known as Titan under government study, but specifics are not known.
Scientists are aware of the big guys but just what they know and how is unclear.
This being so a second go 'round is less chaotic. Final evaluation to follow. Films I've gone back and fort or changed my evaluation are : Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, Babe Pig In The City, His Dark Materials, The Golden Compass, Prince of the City.
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-23 15:28:10 UTC
[...]
I'm continuing to better absorb the bombardment on information and events piecemeal which is an enormous aid in taking in what the film throws at the viewer.
On the human side past and present events are made clearer while other ares are murky or unexplained. The visuals , that come at you with the speed and intensity of a hurricane are better appreciated with the focus of repeat viewings.
THe entire history of the bog monster films has to be removed from the viewer's POV. Rodan , a Japanese icon, is now native to Mexico as an example. My evaluation is way up but still this is not a great way to make a movie : masses of information and action coming at break neck speed.
Side note : the first problems in a film whose plot's core is that humankind has fucked up he world begin in China. I've Just come accross news that two Chinese cities with populations of 11 and 7 million have all but been closed off from the rest of the world ( just how closed they are is uncertain ) because a virus, for which there isn't any vaccine. is spreading through the populations. The virus, which is familiar to me because of my involvement with cats, is suspected to have spread to humans as a result of illegal trade in wild animals. Could be the end of the world. An excellent tie i to the theme of GKOTM : man's destruction of the wildlife of the planet will bring him down.
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-24 12:43:54 UTC
[...]
Getting further along with the film I can understand why my initial reaction was so negative. In earlier Godzilla films the problem of the creatures seemingly being indestructable was always front and center. In GKOTM all manner of implausible events occur : Godzilla appears to be dead from an oxygen destroyer, then he's alive and hears Mothra's call to which he immediately replies, then he can be rtracked becaudse his biological signal has been rcorded, ten heheads for an underwater series of caves ( with man made structures ) where he begins to recover from a source of radiation. It' decided that to set off a nuclear bomb a few feet away will restore him to health, it does, the creatures can hear a signal fom the Fenway Park Loudspeakers thousands of miles away because whales can hear underwater signals at great distances, there are underwater tunnels that act as worm holes to allow the creatures to travel quickly around the earth.
So many fantasy elements are involved that essentially anything goes.
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-24 18:17:04 UTC
[...]
Tho the " people " parts are cardboard characters in keeping with my view that a film should be better evaluated for its good rather than bad areas I'd jump my rating to a 8+/10 Kaiju countdowns...can't go higher due to the need to slow things down and accept fantasy views of earth's history.
The Kaiju ( big monsters )are at least one step above older concepts tho would have been nice to see them when not in the dark, thrashing/sloshing around in lightning fast editing. Well written and acted human segments could have made this a 10/10 As with Hocus Pocus I needed to adjust to a mixture of good and not so good components Seeing as Kong, an adult Mothra will be in future films ( have to believe King Ghidorah will be back) producers can make several sequels.
Stephen DeMay
2020-01-28 01:52:11 UTC
[...]
Third time thru and I am frequently drawn into many of the sequences. The information overload from the dialogue and visuals really jumbled my ability to appreciate the trees in the forest. The Japanese doctor is a fine character as is Charles Dance's eccoterrorist. Very nice idea to have Farmiga and Dance as team mates then antagonists.
Many moments when the Kaiju take the idea of people in rubber suits on an express elevator up. Several times the visuals are just fuckin' far out impressive. The ethnics, clunky " government officials " and clunky media bits are squeaky wheels in an otherwise well oiled machine going at a dizzying speed. Truth is I missed so much first time in I mistook being burned out for boredom. Even the background mythical material fits in perfectly. Don't know is Farmiga will be back her part could become highly interesting. Not a bit uneasy to reevaluate again to a 10-/10 circus maximi