Spacehunter : Adventures In The Forbidden Zone ( 1983 )
2020-04-22 17:41:32 UTC
Shot in 3 - D the film loses a lot when seen flat. It's the only 3 - D picture that to my recollection has several effective coming at you moments.
Story : lone soldier of fortune 9 Peter Strauss ) goes after big payday offered for return of three earth girls marooned on semi - barren planet. He meets a young scavenger type girl ( Mplly Ringwald ) . They team up to get the girls and the reward.
Although an American production the look is funky Spanish/Italian that adds a lot to the adventure/fantasy/character study/comedy, Vehicles and structures are not high tech, more cobbled together dystopian style. Overall impression is a Flash Gordon/Conan the Destroyer hybrid.
Key to the film is the pairing of Strauss and Rinwald. Individually they would be OK , together the way in which the laid back Strauss deals with the rambunctious Ringwald is something special . Molly's other constant stream of other wordly vernacular/slang is the best made up lingo in any film.
The slam bang score helps move things along. Michael Ironside's part human, mostly robotic Overdog on a boom is another plus.
Closer to Tank Girl than any other film but the Strauss/Ringwald pairing ( only rivaled in the adult/child category by Reno/Portman ) makes the impression unique and mostly pleasing. 8-/10 brainworkings
Hawk
2020-04-22 23:01:56 UTC
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:41:32 -0700 (PDT), Stephen DeMay
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
This is a movie that I can rewatch many times. It never seems to be
dull. The made up lingo is the best I've come across, the interaction
between the various characters is spot on (pity Chalmers didn't stick
around), everything just gels together perfectly. A definate 8/10 from
me as well.

Cheers
2020: The year my wheelie bin went out more often than me.
Stephen DeMay
I had meant to mention Stauss' strange indifferent attitude to what would have seemed to be his companion. An oddity that jarred me. I had seen the film two or three times in 3 -D and later flat in a theater. Big difference.
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-23 17:06:37 UTC
Post by Stephen DeMay
[...]
Some outside action appear to be homage to Rocketship X - M and the Flash Gordon serials. The brutal look of the terrain shot in Arizona and Utah lends a lot of alien atmosphere to the goings on