Best American Western movie of all time?
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2020-01-22 11:19:54 UTC
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/5-reasons-why-the-searchers-is-the-best-american-western-movie-of-all-time/
Mack A. Damia
2020-01-22 16:18:28 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/5-reasons-why-the-searchers-is-the-best-american-western-movie-of-all-time/
Silly. One man's opinion, that's all.

I could just as well say "Shane".

"Heaven's Gate" was damn good, too, but I know it has its critics.
g***@gmail.com
2020-01-24 22:39:02 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/5-reasons-why-the-searchers-is-the-best-american-western-movie-of-all-time/
Do you think that Debbie was really Ethan's daughter?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Searchers#Ethan_and_Martha
T987654321
2020-02-01 20:23:46 UTC
If it wasn't for Blazing Saddles that would be a trick question.
JTEM
2020-02-01 23:07:57 UTC
There's two, actually, tied for "Best."

The "Best" historically accurate western of all time is Unforgiven.

Period.

Nothing else comes close. Everything from the weapons used to
how gun fights took place were pretty accurate, and certainly
more accurate than any other portrayal in American film. Even the
pacing was realistic! They nailed EVERYTHING.

The cast was top-notch, the characters were deep & flawed...

Great film.

The "Best" western in the finest Hollywood tradition has to be
Tombstone.

Honestly, Val Kilmer ROCKED IT as Doc Holiday. He was a supporting
character yet you could rename it "The Doc Holiday" story he was so
good.

Kurt Russel? Sam Eliot? Bill Paxton? Unreal.

This was a good old fashioned Hollywood western EVOLVED!

Such a good film... such an awesome film.

Comparisons of the two films are interesting. Take the aforementioned
"Flaws" within the Unforgiven characters, and look at them side by
side with the traditional White Hat/Black Hat portrayal in Tombstone.
Or how everyone (except the prostitutes) in Unforgiven seem to be
well anchored in their homes, even Clint Eastwood's character isn't doing
too good. In Tombstone everything is centered on saloons & fast draws,
just like the westerns of Hollywood's golden age...

Yes, one is Hollywood evolved -- refined & raised to its finest expression --
while the other is perhaps the most realistic western that will ever be
produced while still being good.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/190590502523
Bill Anderson
2020-02-02 01:15:04 UTC
And in spite of all that, JoHn Ford’s STAGECOACH is still the best western movie. The Mighty Favog has spoken.

Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
william ahearn
2020-02-02 03:10:18 UTC
Or, The Wild Bunch. So there.
Bill Anderson
2020-02-02 23:08:09 UTC
It’s like these security questions that ask you to “name your favorite color.” It’s a question for fools.

Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
william ahearn
2020-02-02 23:42:39 UTC
Of course it is. You -- or someone else -- might find a Don Knotts movie "the best of all time." There's no argument and using the fool as an analogy is only too apt. Thinking there is a "perfect" this or that is what makes fools of us.
Mack A. Damia
2020-02-02 23:51:18 UTC

JTEM
2020-02-03 00:37:42 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Of course it is. You -- or someone else -- might find a Don Knotts movie "the best of all time." There's no argument and using the fool as an analogy is only too apt. Thinking there is a "perfect" this or that is what makes fools of us.
Oh please.

There's nothing unique about movies. People can and do deconstruct
things, form opinions and articulate arguments in defense of some.

If you can, do so. If you can't then maybe a discussion group isn't for
you.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/190614650878
william ahearn
Nice. Next time try and say something.
JTEM
2020-02-04 00:18:15 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Nice.
Absolutely.
Post by william ahearn
Next time try and say something.
Lol! "I can't deconstruct films so you're not saying anything!"

Moron.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/190615984825
william ahearn
2020-02-04 00:37:02 UTC
Post by JTEM
Post by william ahearn
Nice.
Absolutely.
Still nothing. Another empty troll.
JTEM
2020-02-04 03:45:18 UTC
Still
Still, no matter how many different handles you cower behind, you're
a moron.

Look went sent you spinning in flames this times! Why, golly, a discussion
on films in a film discussion group... yeah, like you're not severely mentally
ill... lol!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/190631787297
william ahearn
2020-02-04 03:54:25 UTC
Post by JTEM
Still
Still, no matter how many different handles you cower behind, you're
a moron.
Handles? You are an ass.
Would you grow up and shut up. I'm done with you.
JTEM
2020-02-04 18:36:58 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Handles
I don't know how many additional posts you need to make,
just to let me know that you can't deconstruct a film an
argue an opinion.

....I guess only your mental disorder knows for sure.

So, mental disorder hiding behind a sock puppet, why are
you even in a film discussion group when you're incapable
of anything but temper tantrums?

Speak to your shrink. Maybe they can adjust your meds.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/190644372452
moviePig
2020-02-03 03:08:13 UTC
I always choose "Nate"...
Halmyre
2020-02-03 07:34:32 UTC
Post by william ahearn
Post by Bill Anderson
And in spite of all that, JoHn Ford’s STAGECOACH is still the best western movie. The Mighty Favog has spoken.
Or, The Wild Bunch. So there.
I think The Wild Bunch is more of a war movie, apart from the heist scene at the start.

Joking apart, what makes a Western a 'Western'? If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Halmyre
moviePig
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
Mack A. Damia
Will Munny, Ned Logan, The "Schofield Kid".
Halmyre
2020-02-04 07:37:13 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by moviePig
Post by Halmyre
Post by Halmyre
If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
Will Munny, Ned Logan, The "Schofield Kid".
Ethan Edwards.
Tom Dunson.

The Wild Bunch, even.
Halmyre
Mack A. Damia
2020-02-04 15:42:21 UTC
On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 23:37:13 -0800 (PST), Halmyre
Post by Halmyre
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by moviePig
Post by Halmyre
If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
Will Munny, Ned Logan, The "Schofield Kid".
Ethan Edwards.
Tom Dunson.
The Wild Bunch, even.
The three characters in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". They killed
for personal gain.
Halmyre
2020-02-05 08:07:42 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by moviePig
Post by Halmyre
Post by Halmyre
If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
Will Munny, Ned Logan, The "Schofield Kid".
Ethan Edwards.
Tom Dunson.
The Wild Bunch, even.
The three characters in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". They killed
for personal gain.
That crossed my mind as well. If you're talking Clint Eastwood, then his character in 'The Beguiled' is in with a shout.

Some of James Stewart's Western characters were flawed in some way. And then there's Gregory Peck's Johnny Ringo in 'The Gunfighter'.
Halmyre
Mack A. Damia
2020-02-05 16:10:05 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by moviePig
Post by Halmyre
If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
Will Munny, Ned Logan, The "Schofield Kid".
Ethan Edwards.
Tom Dunson.
The Wild Bunch, even.
The three characters in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". They killed
for personal gain.
That crossed my mind as well. If you're talking Clint Eastwood, then his character in 'The Beguiled' is in with a shout.
Some of James Stewart's Western characters were flawed in some way. And then there's Gregory Peck's Johnny Ringo in 'The Gunfighter'.
Doc Holliday in any Western film was an anti-hero.

Gambler, gunfighter, dentist.
moviePig
2020-02-03 18:54:50 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by Halmyre
If "Bonnie and Clyde" was set a few years earlier, would it be a Western?
Are there anti-heroes in Westerns? Butch & Sundance? Billy the Kid?...
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Yes, although his anti-heroism was the titular revelation.
bermuda999
2020-02-03 02:24:28 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/5-reasons-why-the-searchers-is-the-best-american-western-movie-of-all-time/
American Western as in theme, or as in production?

In other words, are you defining Sergio Leone out of your poll?
don Gabacho
2020-02-06 03:43:50 UTC
No doubt about it. Shane
Halmyre
2020-02-06 07:32:19 UTC
Post by don Gabacho
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2017/5-reasons-why-the-searchers-is-the-best-american-western-movie-of-all-time/
No doubt about it. Shane
Would have been better if Ladd and Palance had swapped roles.
Halmyre
g***@gmail.com
2020-02-06 20:59:59 UTC
http://the-great-silence.blogspot.com/search/label/Thoughts%20on%20Westerns