M (1931 Germany)
2020-04-29 00:13:57 UTC
In recent years I've seen more of Lang's early work than previously. Overly long scenes came to be what to expect.
The first half hour of this well thought of early talkie is free of this plague. A nice feel of tension accomplished by a good choice of imagery and editing make the flow of events easy to watch.
I've always liked the interiors of Lang's German films. The spartan look of the rooms lend a feel of being in a bad dream.
Was a surprise to see the commissar from DR. Mabuse in the cast of characters.
Matters took a big turn for the worse when two different factions : government and organized crime had separate drawn out meetings to decide what to do about a child murderer who was making life difficult for both the police and crooks.
From there on the momentum and edginess is lost and the eventual capture of Peter Lorre , a bloke who's a bit off, is just going through the motions. Long time between viewings, pretty much the same reaction. 5+/10 likes 'em youngs
g***@gmail.com
https://www.asharperfocus.com/M.html
Stephen DeMay
2020-04-29 17:04:55 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Stephen DeMay
In recent years I've seen more of Lang's early work than previously. Overly long scenes came to be what to expect.
The first half hour of this well thought of early talkie is free of this plague. A nice feel of tension accomplished by a good choice of imagery and editing make the flow of events easy to watch.
I've always liked the interiors of Lang's German films. The spartan look of the rooms lend a feel of being in a bad dream.
Was a surprise to see the commissar from DR. Mabuse in the cast of characters.
Matters took a big turn for the worse when two different factions : government and organized crime had separate drawn out meetings to decide what to do about a child murderer who was making life difficult for both the police and crooks.
From there on the momentum and edginess is lost and the eventual capture of Peter Lorre , a bloke who's a bit off, is just going through the motions. Long time between viewings, pretty much the same reaction. 5+/10 likes 'em youngs
https://www.asharperfocus.com/M.html
Does your article mention something I liked a lot ? : a big old directional arrow in a book store window that could be seen as primarily pointing out Lorre or a not subtle indication that he was doing the young ladies in more ways than one. Also liked the German version of jung frau tea time with the touch of elegance on the table.
g***@gmail.com
2020-05-12 23:31:02 UTC
In recent years I've seen more of Lang's early work than previously. Overly long scenes came to be what to expect.
The first half hour of this well thought of early talkie is free of this plague. A nice feel of tension accomplished by a good choice of imagery and editing make the flow of events easy to watch.
I've always liked the interiors of Lang's German films. The spartan look of the rooms lend a feel of being in a bad dream.
Was a surprise to see the commissar from DR. Mabuse in the cast of characters.
Matters took a big turn for the worse when two different factions : government and organized crime had separate drawn out meetings to decide what to do about a child murderer who was making life difficult for both the police and crooks.
From there on the momentum and edginess is lost and the eventual capture of Peter Lorre , a bloke who's a bit off, is just going through the motions. Long time between viewings, pretty much the same reaction. 5+/10 likes 'em youngs
According to this:

- Just as Metropolis influenced Clockwork’s criticism of society, so does Lang’s 1931 classic M foreshadow Clockwork’stheme of irrepressible violence. The murderer in M, though guilty of heinous crimes, seems childlike and helpless, his actions only a response to a profound psychosis.

https://www.sparknotes.com/film/clockworkorange/context/