"Educational Curriculum Can Benefit Much From Using Classic Films and New Wave Films"
2021-04-24 16:55:31 UTC
https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/educational-curriculum-can-benefit-much-from-using-classic-films-and-new-wave-films/
Your Name
2021-04-24 21:25:34 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/educational-curriculum-can-benefit-much-from-using-classic-films-and-new-wave-films/
Forcing school kids to watch b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" films or
read b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" books is simply a complete waste
of everybody's time. For most kids all that achieves is to stop them
bothering to watch/read such things ever again.

The stupidity is then compounded by ridiculous unanswerable questions
then asked, such as "What was the author thinking when they wrote XYZ?"
The only actual correct answer is "Nobody knows". They were probably
thinking "What shall I have for lunch?" "Soon be time to go to the pub
for a beer." or "The publisher wants this finished by Tuesday, I'd
better write some rubbish to keep them happy."

Schools should be teaching kids actual useful skills, not airy-fairy
and arty-farty nonense, not teachers poking their noses into kids'
lunchboxes, not silly sports ... and not force-feeding computer coding
either (the latest silly fad by moron in governments everywhere). Stick
to the actual basics - Reading, wRiting, and aRithmatic, including
grammar and spelling.
Mack A. Damia
2021-04-24 23:34:22 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by gggg gggg
https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/educational-curriculum-can-benefit-much-from-using-classic-films-and-new-wave-films/
Forcing school kids to watch b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" films or
read b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" books is simply a complete waste
of everybody's time. For most kids all that achieves is to stop them
bothering to watch/read such things ever again.
"Issues of social relevance in school and college education"?

Many law schools require their students to watch "To Kill a
Mockingbird" in the first semester

How about "A Tale of Two Cities" to teach about class division and the
French Revolution?

"Gone With the Wind" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" to teach about
race relations?

Classroom lecture is many time b-o-r-i-n-g, and the combination of
film and lecture can be very effective.

Are you a teacher? I was before I retired.
Post by Your Name
The stupidity is then compounded by ridiculous unanswerable questions
then asked, such as "What was the author thinking when they wrote XYZ?"
The only actual correct answer is "Nobody knows". They were probably
thinking "What shall I have for lunch?" "Soon be time to go to the pub
for a beer." or "The publisher wants this finished by Tuesday, I'd
better write some rubbish to keep them happy."
Schools should be teaching kids actual useful skills, not airy-fairy
and arty-farty nonense, not teachers poking their noses into kids'
lunchboxes, not silly sports ... and not force-feeding computer coding
either (the latest silly fad by moron in governments everywhere). Stick
to the actual basics - Reading, wRiting, and aRithmatic, including
grammar and spelling.
Schools do teach useful skills, but it really depends on the school.
Some progressive schools teach survival skills such as farming and
vegetable gardening. Home economics and industrial arts programs have
grown considerably since I was in high school.
Mack A. Damia
2021-04-27 15:09:52 UTC
On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:34:22 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Your Name
Post by gggg gggg
https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/educational-curriculum-can-benefit-much-from-using-classic-films-and-new-wave-films/
Forcing school kids to watch b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" films or
read b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" books is simply a complete waste
of everybody's time. For most kids all that achieves is to stop them
bothering to watch/read such things ever again.
"Issues of social relevance in school and college education"?
Many law schools require their students to watch "To Kill a
Mockingbird" in the first semester
How about "A Tale of Two Cities" to teach about class division and the
French Revolution?
"Gone With the Wind" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" to teach about
race relations?
"Valkyrie"? Excellent opportunity to pretty much tell the whole story
of the attempt on Hitler's life.

The film would provoke much class discussion.
gggg gggg
https://www.slideshare.net/ssclasstorremar/german-themes-in-valkyrie
Your Name
2021-04-27 20:27:38 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Your Name
Post by gggg gggg
[...]
I don't know about that particular film, but *entertainment* movies in
general are an incredibly bad way to teach history thanks to Hollyweird
always making changes to suit themselves. The obvious example being all
the World War I and II movies that have Americans saving the day when
there weren't even any Americans in the real event the movie is showing.

They're also usually a bad way to teach literature, because again
Hollyweird doesn't stick to the original book. The exception would be
when showing students how Hollyweird makes a mess of every
"adapatation".
Mack A. Damia
2021-04-27 23:32:07 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by Your Name
Post by gggg gggg
[...]
But if you are reading a history book, you are reading the author's
explanation of what happened. Today, nobody was alive 120 years ago,
so who knows the genuine story?

You must have played Chinese Whispers. Before books and such were
widely disseminated, word-of-mouth was the common method of relating
the past. And that word-of-mouth could be biased. Look at the Boston
Tea Party as a good example.
"adapatation".
Janis Papanagnou
2021-04-26 07:02:53 UTC
Post by Your Name
Forcing school kids to watch b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" films or
read b-o-r-i-n-g so-called "classic" books is simply a complete waste of
everybody's time. For most kids all that achieves is to stop them
bothering to watch/read such things ever again.
What's boring or not lies in the eye of the beholder. Forcing pupils
to read something at school is inherently problematic; literature or
films vary in quality, topics are depending on the personal interest.
Neglecting quality literature, specifically classic ones - i.e. such
sources that long time attention has confirmed their quality - isn't
an approach any good. There's a reason why Shakespeare, Dostojevsky,
Goethe are still "alive". There's a reason why from the contemporary
masses of literature most will be forgotten. The same with films;
Fritz Lang, Eisenstein, Godard, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, just to name a
few, are not only noteworthy milestones. Luckily there are instances
that foster that culture. Where I live (for example) there's a Film
Museum that reconstructs for example old expressionistic films from
sources all around the world. Not every genre fits everyones taste,
but to provide that large set of classic work to young folks, folks
that is typically fattened with commercial products of quite unique
form and structure isn't a good approach. Young folks should be given
an insight in the pluralism of works, books and films, so that they
can decide by themselves where their interest lies and choose their
sources in a broader and more informed way.

Janis
gggg gggg
2021-06-03 05:18:21 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/educational-curriculum-can-benefit-much-from-using-classic-films-and-new-wave-films/
- I always liked film as a teaching tool - a way of getting exposed to ideas that had never been presented to me. It just wasn't on the list of career options where I grew up.

Brad Pitt