R.I.P. Little Richard, 87
Add Reply
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-09 19:05:45 UTC
I saw him in an outdoor concert maybe 10 years ago.

I was also lucky enough to see the rare 1969 concert movie "Keep on Rockin' (Toronto Pop)" in the late 1970s. (It was directed by D.A. Pennebaker. Jerry Lee Lewis also performs!) In the very good 1994 book "Hollywood Rock" by Marshall Crenshaw, the movie is listed under "Sweet Toronto."

L.R. had six other entries in that book. One was the 1957 "Mister Rock and Roll." (It's a fictional story, starring Alan Freed.) There are 12 performers, but the only other ones whose names I recognized were the Moonglows, Lionel Hampton, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, LaVern Baker, and Chuck Berry. One song was "Barcelona Rock."

From Michael Shore's 1987 "Music Video: A Consumer's Guide," about the 1985 documentary "Rock and Roll: The Early Days":

"...one point the tape stresses is the way white, establishment middle America virulently decried rock 'n' roll on one hand, and on the other did all it could to co-opt black R&B hits with appallingly innocuous cover versions by sanctioned Caucasian artists. I mean, you haven't been really sickened until you've seen Pat Boone, his tie loosened to signal 'naughtiness,' desecrating 'Tutti-Frutti' with his namby-pamby uptight reading."

Lenona.
JTEM
2020-05-09 22:11:45 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
"...one point the tape stresses is the way white, establishment middle America virulently decried rock 'n' roll on one hand, and on the other did all it could to co-opt black R&B hits with appallingly innocuous cover versions by sanctioned Caucasian artists.
This is stupid.

Jerry Lee Lewis was denounced himself! He married a 13 y.o. cousin,
was accused of murdering another wife... he was exactly the bad
influence people talked about when they spoke against Rock & Roll!

Race had nothing to do with it.

And Little Richard was gay & active at a time when it was illegal, you
could go to jail just for ordering drinks in a bar, it was against the law
to so much as send a gay novel through the mail AND he was a druggie.

Didn't matter his race, he was "WRONG" as far as polite society was
concerned.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/617575096636276736
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 00:58:58 UTC
Well, it's not as though it's easy to keep a celebrity marriage secret, especially when it involves a minor. Whereas Rock Hudson and others in the 1950s managed to stay under cover for decades. Same goes for plenty of alcoholics and druggies.

My point is, I have never heard anyone suggest that L.R. was rejected by "polite" society, white or black, in the 1950s, for homosexuality OR drug use - or that the average person was even AWARE that he was involved with either one, back then. Blatant sexuality in his music, sure, but then, we all know about Elvis the Pelvis, right? (According to a medical website, HE started abusing prescription drugs in his teens, but how many people knew that back then? Not to mention that plenty of people have claimed that Elvis served as an excuse for white music fans everywhere to ignore black artists and songwriters.)

This is only about his career before he temporarily quit in 1958, of course.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 01:07:11 UTC
I meant L.R.'s quitting for religious reasons, of course - not Elvis' joining the military. Both were in 1958.
JTEM
2020-05-10 07:01:15 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Well, it's not as though it's easy to keep a celebrity marriage secret, especially when it involves a minor. Whereas Rock Hudson and others in the 1950s managed to stay under cover for decades. Same goes for plenty of alcoholics and druggies.
That has nothing to do with anything I said.

Keeping something frowned up secret is one thing, Little Richard sang
about this stuff! What the hell did you think a Miss Molly was?

Hint: It's wasn't a Nun!
Post by l***@yahoo.com
My point is, I have never heard anyone suggest that L.R. was rejected by "polite" society
So? You were a long ways from being born! The extent of your life
and experiences is not the topic here.

Do you not know his music?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/617480033714536448
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 20:25:54 UTC
I looked up the lyrics just now and I didn't see anything to suggest that Molly was a MALE hooker, if that's what you mean.

And, from Songfacts:

"...At the time, the most common meaning for "balling" was dancing; only later did it became a popular euphemism for oral sex. The term later took on a new meaning when it came describe a lavish and extravagant lifestyle, with these guys flashing their cash known as "ballers."..."

But how was Richard's singing GGMM any more scandalous than Elvis' singing "What'd I Say"? Ever checked out THOSE lyrics? (No, I don't mean the first verse - I know better than that.)

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/elvispresley/whatdisay.html

You can see him singing it as well, on YouTube.

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 20:33:53 UTC
Not to mention that while white parents likely also complained about Elvis, I've never heard of the recording labels trying to push HIM out of the way in favor of Pat Boone or anyone similar.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 05:38:36 UTC
And here it is - from 1955.

One person commented, four years ago:

"I love Pat Boone, but this is blasphemy."

Lenona.
g***@gmail.com
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-archives-little-richard-2020-05-09/
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-10 21:26:36 UTC
Oh, and here's a "West Side Story" cover I'll bet most people don't know...but you'll never forget it!

Four minutes.