Question for you "Matrix" fanatics
Add Reply
Richard Schultz
2008-11-02 15:43:45 UTC
I suppose that this post contains spoilers.

As I understand it, in _The Matrix_, everything that people "experience"
is actually a virtual reality created by the computers, and the "real"
people are in pods and are somehow being used to power the computers.
One would think that if the computers had actually figured out to
circumvent the Second Law of Thermodynamics as implied by that "explanation,"
they would have thought of something more clever as a way of generating power
for themselves. For that matter, you'd think that given the constant
problem of pesky humans figuring out how to escape the Matrix, the computers
would just keep all of the people anesthetized, or lobotomize them, or come
up with some way of dealing with them that didn't involve the creation of
an artificial reality.

But that's not my question.

What I was wondering is: how do the real humans (the ones in the pods)
reproduce? If a woman becomes pregnant in the virtual reality, her
baby would not correspond to any real person (unless the only women who
become pregnant in the virtual world are those who are pregnant in the
real one -- see the previous question). If so, the virtual world would
be populated by an increasing number of virtual people. At what point
would the computers' memory capacity be exceeded? ("Core dumped --
world destroyed")

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
moviePig
2008-11-02 16:22:26 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
[...]
Taxing my recall, but, iirc... one who dies virtually dies actually,
and with some physical correlation between the two causes of death --
a correspondence we might presume reproduces for one who gets knocked
up...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Halmyre
2008-11-02 16:55:46 UTC
In article <0e807a5b-6b2e-4a24-833f-
Post by moviePig
Post by Richard Schultz
[...]
I remember a shot of a baby in a pod surrounded by some sort of fluid, so
maybe there's some sort of artificial insemination going on.

But as the OP suggests, the whole premise is nonsense. To harvest energy from
the body heat of humans, you are having to expend a greater amount of energy
in the first place.
--
Halmyre

That's you that is.
Richard Schultz
2008-11-02 20:27:11 UTC
In article <0e807a5b-6b2e-4a24-833f-***@i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, moviePig <***@moviepig.com> wrote:

: Taxing my recall, but, iirc... one who dies virtually dies actually,
: and with some physical correlation between the two causes of death --
: a correspondence we might presume reproduces for one who gets knocked up...

By what mechanism does a woman who gets impregnated in virtual reality
become pregnant for real?

-----
Michael
2008-11-02 21:44:08 UTC
Seems like you managed to find a flaw in the internal logic of the Matrix
universe. Not bad. There are two possible solutions the way I see it. The
humans could be grown by the machines like domesticated plants. Or there
could be a substantial population of "wild" humans who are not domesticated.
These reproduce the normal way and then the machines harvest the surplus.
In article
moviePig
2008-11-02 22:06:03 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
: Taxing my recall, but, iirc... one who dies virtually dies actually,
: and with some physical correlation between the two causes of death --
: a correspondence we might presume reproduces for one who gets knocked up...
By what mechanism does a woman who gets impregnated in virtual reality
become pregnant for real?
I wouldn't presume deconstruct the Wachowski universe ...but I *seem*
to recall (though I may be wrong) that, e.g., one who chokes in
virtual-land also chokes in the pod of reality. If that recall's
right, then we have a precedent for specific physiological effects
(like pregnancy) crossing the cyber-divide. Of course, the question
of whether, say, a virtual spermatozoan swims across that channel or
the mom-to-be merely parthenogenerates may be best left to a Neo-natal
expert.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Richard Schultz
2008-11-03 05:28:04 UTC

:
: I wouldn't presume deconstruct the Wachowski universe ...but I *seem*
: to recall (though I may be wrong) that, e.g., one who chokes in
: virtual-land also chokes in the pod of reality.

That could happen because your brain, connected to the virtual world,
produces a somatic response as a result of the stimuli applied to it.
As far as I know, becoming pregnant requires at least two real people
to be involved.

: If that recall's
: right, then we have a precedent for specific physiological effects
: (like pregnancy) crossing the cyber-divide.

That doesn't make any sense -- even for you.

-----
moviePig
2008-11-03 13:48:12 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
:> By what mechanism does a woman who gets impregnated in virtual reality
:> become pregnant for real?
: I wouldn't presume deconstruct the Wachowski universe ...but I *seem*
: to recall (though I may be wrong) that, e.g., one who chokes in
: virtual-land also chokes in the pod of reality.
That could happen because your brain, connected to the virtual world,
produces a somatic response as a result of the stimuli applied to it.
As far as I know, becoming pregnant requires at least two real people
to be involved.
Depends on the limits of somatic response in a sci-fi movie. As I
noted, parthenogenesis is not unheard of.
Post by Richard Schultz
: If that recall's
: right, then we have a precedent for specific physiological effects
: (like pregnancy) crossing the cyber-divide.
That doesn't make any sense -- even for you.
What didn't make any sense, I suppose, was me presuming this topic
might remain fun -- even from you.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
dgates
2008-11-06 05:28:55 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
:> By what mechanism does a woman who gets impregnated in virtual reality
:> become pregnant for real?
: I wouldn't presume deconstruct the Wachowski universe ...but I *seem*
: to recall (though I may be wrong) that, e.g., one who chokes in
: virtual-land also chokes in the pod of reality.
That could happen because your brain, connected to the virtual world,
produces a somatic response as a result of the stimuli applied to it.
As far as I know, becoming pregnant requires at least two real people
to be involved.
It seems like the supercomputer could track which women think they are
having sex in the virtual world and then impregnate those women
according to some randomizing system of its own.

Where would it get the sperm? Well, I'd assume that it is being
produced by the men who think they are having sex. The supercomputer
could either do the painstaking matchmaking to get the right man's
sperm to the the right woman, or it could find some sperm that it has
already stored from some man who's a "pretty close" genetic match.

If you can buy the rest of the logic, it seems like it would be easy
enough for the computer to impregnate women who have had virtual
sex...

although, now that I write it, I'm not sure why the computer would
have to even bother waiting for women to believe they've had sex in
the virtual world before impregnating them.

Why couldn't there be some woman believing she's a nun in the virtual
world, and meanwhile the computer impregnates her in the virtual
world? She can't feel what her real body is doing, right?
The Starmaker
2008-11-08 20:50:49 UTC
Post by dgates
Post by Richard Schultz
[...]
You mean like Mary, Jesus mother?

Are you saying, Mary is a virtual woman and God inserted the computer
code to get her pregnant?
Okierazorbacker
2008-11-03 00:05:27 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
By what mechanism does a woman who gets impregnated in virtual reality
become pregnant for real?
I don't believe the mechanics of reproduction are specifically
addressed in the films, simply that some form of artificial means are
used to fertilize the eggs and they are then grown in fields of baby
pods until they're ready to be plugged in.
TBerk
2008-11-02 17:20:17 UTC
There was a compelling part of the computer's core values to keep the
people around, along the way the resulting energy was harvested so to
speak. But the Machines didn't keep the people around just for the
energy, that was a by-product.

Also there was mention made of a very efficient form of Fusion used
which I am lead to assume (uh oh) is the primary source of power in
the machines environment.

As for new peoples being born, the Machines must either be Turkey
Basting the females with reproductive juices gleaned from the males or
they are outright cloning new bodies to fill vacancies.

If you have a captured population (as is given in the virtual reality)
you can have the principals go through the act of procreation all you
want, it doesn't naturally follow that the virtual birth rate would
equal real world rates of conception.

I'd expect , in the case of the Matrix, the real world and virtual
world pregnancies would coincide.

And I'm not even a Matrix Fanatic.

TBerk
David Oberman
2008-11-02 18:10:56 UTC
Post by TBerk
I'd expect , in the case of the Matrix, the real world and virtual
world pregnancies would coincide.
And I'm not even a Matrix Fanatic.
It all sounds as if it were dreamed up on a Pee Chee folder.

____

She knows that this lawyer is on duty all the time,
from his apparent failure to understand that there
is any such thing as private life. Perhaps it could
be explained to him as that part of life which is
unbillable.

-- Judith Martin
TBerk
2008-11-02 18:31:52 UTC
Post by David Oberman
Post by TBerk
I'd expect , in the case of the Matrix, the real world and virtual
world pregnancies would coincide.
And I'm not even a Matrix Fanatic.
It all sounds as if it were dreamed up on a Pee Chee folder.
____
Likely it was. It grossed an extraordinary amount of cash though.

Seems it might have withstood going to SciFi Writer's Camp from some
of the masters like Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury and Niven to name far
too few.

It's a nice series off films, it does some things extremely well,
casts a great group of people but has disturbing points that fall
short.

Damn.

TBerk
Avoid normal situations.
2009-04-08 09:42:36 UTC
Post by David Oberman
Post by TBerk
I'd expect , in the case of the Matrix, the real world and virtual
world pregnancies would coincide.
And I'm not even a Matrix Fanatic.
It all sounds as if it were dreamed up on a Pee Chee folder.
You're catching on.

As sf _The Matrix_ sucks ducks, but IMHO it's so entertaining that I never
really cared that much until the sequels. Instead of patching the holes and
coming up with some really clever explanation for everything that happened in
the first movie, they made it all even more complex, yet even sillier. I don't
even remember who the hell "The Merovingian" is, and I hope I never know
again.

--
alt.flame Special Forces
"Democracy is that system of government under which the people, having 35,717,
-- H. L. Mencken, _Prejudices_, Fifth Series, 1926
David Johnston
2008-11-02 19:57:51 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
I suppose that this post contains spoilers.
As I understand it, in _The Matrix_, everything that people "experience"
is actually a virtual reality created by the computers, and the "real"
people are in pods and are somehow being used to power the computers.
One would think that if the computers had actually figured out to
circumvent the Second Law of Thermodynamics as implied by that "explanation,"
they would have thought of something more clever as a way of generating power
for themselves. For that matter, you'd think that given the constant
problem of pesky humans figuring out how to escape the Matrix, the computers
would just keep all of the people anesthetized, or lobotomize them, or come
up with some way of dealing with them that didn't involve the creation of
an artificial reality.
The original concept was that the machines were using human brains for
their processing power. That was decreed to be insufficiently stupid
for the public at large.
Post by Richard Schultz
But that's not my question.
What I was wondering is: how do the real humans (the ones in the pods)
reproduce?
When they have sex in the Matrix, the man ejaculates in the real world
used.
Apteryx
2008-11-02 21:28:04 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Richard Schultz
[...]
Interesting. I was just about to post that doing exactly that would have
made a lot more sense. Obviously I'll never make a Hollywood scriptwriter.
Apteryx
Tue Sorensen
2008-11-02 23:52:40 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Richard Schultz
What I was wondering is:  how do the real humans (the ones in the pods)
reproduce?
When they have sex in the Matrix, the man ejaculates in the real world
used.
Yep, that must be it.

- Tue
The Starmaker
2008-11-02 22:45:04 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
[...]
The computer's memory capacity also contain enough memory for the entire
virtual reality universe.
That includes all the zillions of stars. Should be enough memory for one
planet and all that it contains.
The computer is Bigger than the universe. There's plenty of ram to go
around.
Just hope nobody decides to unplug the computer...
David Johnston
2008-11-06 06:03:57 UTC
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:45:04 -0800, The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
The computer's memory capacity also contain enough memory for the entire
virtual reality universe.
That includes all the zillions of stars.
No it doesn't. If the humans in the VR can't got there there's no
need for it.
The Starmaker
2008-11-08 20:58:50 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
The computer's memory capacity also contain enough memory for the entire
virtual reality universe.
That includes all the zillions of stars.
No it doesn't. If the humans in the VR can't got there there's no
need for it.
"can't go there"? You don't sound very opimistic.

The Sun will eventually burn out.
I don't think people of this
Earth are going to stay around here
waiting for that to happen. They
will by then go someplace else.

You David Johnson are a virtual being.
The computer programers created you.
They find you amuzing.

The whole universe at this very moment is
contained in a Big Giant computer. And the computer
programers are just watching you to see what you will do
and say next.

The Starmaker
David Johnston
2008-11-08 23:23:51 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
The computer's memory capacity also contain enough memory for the entire
virtual reality universe.
That includes all the zillions of stars.
No it doesn't. If the humans in the VR can't got there there's no
need for it.
"can't go there"? You don't sound very opimistic.
I sound like a person who realises that the humans in the Matrix are
nowhere near interstellar travel.
The Starmaker
2008-11-08 23:53:13 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
The computer's memory capacity also contain enough memory for the entire
virtual reality universe.
That includes all the zillions of stars.
No it doesn't. If the humans in the VR can't got there there's no
need for it.
"can't go there"? You don't sound very opimistic.
I sound like a person who realises that the humans in the Matrix are
nowhere near interstellar travel.
I wasn't talking about the movie, The Matrix...
I was talking about what the movie -- The Matrix, is "based on".

It is based on, on the idea it came from...
that we, are living in a simulation, ...and what
we take to be the real world is actually a virtual reality show.

In other words, the world we live in is "fake". The Universe is fake.

You, David Johnson... are a computer generated virtual being.

The Starmaker
Flasherly
2008-11-03 14:37:45 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
I suppose that this post contains spoilers.
As I understand it, in _The Matrix_, everything that people "experience"
is actually a virtual reality created by the computers, and the "real"
people are in pods and are somehow being used to power the computers.
One would think that if the computers had actually figured out to
circumvent the Second Law of Thermodynamics as implied by that "explanation,"
they would have thought of something more clever as a way of generating power
for themselves. For that matter, you'd think that given the constant
problem of pesky humans figuring out how to escape the Matrix, the computers
would just keep all of the people anesthetized, or lobotomize them, or come
up with some way of dealing with them that didn't involve the creation of
an artificial reality.
Being a conscious design construct, a behest of human intelligence,
computer modeling is also a self-effacing limitation within paradigms
of dialectic materialism -- shifts, "glitches in the matrix", the
intentional obscurity art lends to dealings in hidden conventions
underlying essences of reality, ostensibly, to the One, are innately
cognisant sensory extensions [talent, IQ, intelligent aptitude, tools
of the trade] to further qualify a preexisting state -- inexorably and
inevitably detached and unbound, for a sentient geneses evolution
lends to the role of dialectic idealism: Neo is poet and painter,
precursor heralding the Prophets: Guilty of virtually every crime
Traffickers of Ideals convey: Wake up: Time to follow The Calling of
The White Rabbit. Knock, knock... .
gggg gggg
https://www.themanual.com/culture/matrix-4-trailer-news/
gggg gggg
[...]