Could they be made today?
JTEM
2020-03-22 22:13:30 UTC
: Michael OConnor wrote:
:
: > Sometimes, the controversies go away if the movies turn out
: > not to be very good and are quickly forgotten, like the mid-80's
: > comedy "Soul Man", about a white guy who gets a very dark tan
: > and passes himself off as African American in order to get a
: > minority scholarship to an Ivy League school. I just don't think a
: > film like that could be made in 2019, and I'm surprised it even
: > got made in the 80's.
:
: Wow, yes, going the other way -- movies that would be way too
: controversial TODAY, but were made back when -- there's probably
: a lot more...
:
: ANYTHING with Stepin Fetchit would probably top the list of "Stuff
: that you can't make anymore."
:
: Even Charlie Chan is often denounced, though portraying a racial
: minority as the smartest man in the room would have been looked
: on with envy by African Americans or even women!

There was Brook Shields' Pretty Baby about a 12 y.o. prostitute and
then there's this one line out of the original Arthur (and I'm working
from memory here, so call it a paraphrasing) but, speaking to the
prostitute who just told him that her mother died when she was six
and her father raped her when she was 12...

"So you had six relatively good years."

In a similar vein, Lenona, who frequents these parts, brought up this
one elsewhere as the star only recently died, and was apparently
nominated for an Oscar...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055146/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_130

I wouldn't want to try finance a remake today!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/613307638105702400
l***@yahoo.com
2020-03-26 21:37:19 UTC
Except that someone DID, sort of, remake it - in 2004.

OK, I don't have any proof of the producer's intentions - or the writer's. But one reviewer at "The Mark" said it would make a good double bill with "The Woodsman," starring Keivn Bacon. Both got good professional reviews.

Lenona.
JTEM
2020-03-27 02:48:41 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
OK, I don't have any proof of the producer's intentions - or the writer's. But one reviewer at "The Mark" said it would make a good double bill with "The Woodsman," starring Keivn Bacon. Both got good professional reviews.
The closest to a sympathetic sex-offender character in an almost
fairly recent film is probably found in L.I.E., the 2001 film.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/613685174965846016
a***@yahoo.com
2020-03-29 22:10:36 UTC
Have you seen " Little Children"? I am not sure if " sympathetic" is the right word (especially after one poor woman's disastrous date", but there are a few scenes in which you feel something other than revulsion. In one, he tried to go to a public swimming pool on a hot day, and all the mothers pull their kids out on horror ( like "Jaws"). And in the end he tries to cut his own penis off.
JTEM
2020-03-30 15:16:50 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Have you seen " Little Children"? I am not sure if " sympathetic" is the right word (especially after one poor woman's disastrous date", but there are a few scenes in which you feel something other than revulsion. In one, he tried to go to a public swimming pool on a hot day, and all the mothers pull their kids out on horror ( like "Jaws"). And in the end he tries to cut his own penis off.
Working this film festival, on the selection committee, some of the
worst films weren't the ones with lousy production values -- bad
sound, horrible camera work & even terrible acting -- they were
the ones that were unintentionally funny. These were tragic because
you'd honestly love them, they were really entertaining, but God
forbid you should put them in the festival and the filmmaker shows
up... only to have the theater ignite with laughter from the audience!

Now THAT would ruin their day, huh?

So what has to be the single worst of them wasn't unintentionally
funny but unintentionally offensive. Supposedly it was about the
cruelty in granting visitation rights to rapists who fathered children,
but the rapist in the film was far more of a sympathetic character
then the mother of the child -- the woman he raped!

The woman was a hideous bitch who appeared hostile towards the
child from the beginning, before daddy rapist showed up for his
visit... and she seemed to use him (the kid) to hurt daddy, at the kids
expense. A couple of us were seriously offended!

And it was one of those insane films with the text at the end,
explaining the whole rapist-visitation-rights injustice.

I hate those films. Honestly, it's a movie not a book. I shouldn't
have to read it. And if you can't say it in your narrative then that's
nature's way of letting you know you need to stop what you're
doing and do something else...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/613894471629848576